Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Expanded Uses of the Sanho Hyperdrive Album  (Read 9352 times)

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
My Expanded Uses of the Sanho Hyperdrive Album
« on: October 06, 2010, 11:46:46 pm »

The Sanho Hyperdrive Album has garnered occasional mention in this forum, principally (if not solely) as a useful tool for backing up your camera memory cards in the field (i.e., away from a computer) and also being able view on its 4.8 inch screen the photos you’ve taken in both RAW and JPEG formats.  It doesn’t entirely deliver in these regards without some annoying (to me) limitations, but it does for the most part, and I will shortly touch on a few of them.  But that is not my intent, which is instead to share some of the additional potentials I have “discovered” it has for further use to digital photographers.  And, in any case, some of the flaws (as I see them) may well be addressed in future firmware upgrades by the Sanho engineering team.

The additional usefulness I have found derives from its really basic hardware, which is essentially a casing for laptop hard drives of whichever capacity you choose up to about 750 GB (I’ve elected one of 500GB).  And the casing the hard drive easily slides into contains the LCD screen, operating system and controls.  If you buy the Album with a hard drive included, it’s rather pricey, but I bought a used casing off of Ebay and bought the hard drive for $50 at Office Depot.

Briefly, the “flaws” (or quirks, rather) I found that initially inhibited my full satisfaction stemmed principally from the camera(s) I chose to use, and the type of photos I was interested in taking.  At the time of my purchase a month or so ago, I found to my surprise that not all camera manufacturers’ RAW formats are handled by the Album.  They weren’t for my three Panasonic Lumix cameras, but they were for my Sony’s SR2 RAW format.  Two of my three Lumix cameras employed the RW2 RAW format and the third, an older model, utilized the Panasonic RAW format, none of which converted (displayed) initially in the Album.  I got in touch with Sanho customer service, which was very forthcoming and shortly their engineering team solved the RW2 problem, but as of this date not yet for the older Panasonic RAW format.  But the solution to the RW2 problem did not entirely provide the usefulness I required, nor did the seemingly problem-free accommodation of the Album to the Sony RAW format.

And this was due to my quite particular needs.  I program my cameras to produce black-and-white JPEG images, but I expect the companion RAW images to be simultaneously displayed in their natural color.  But, strangely enough, this doesn’t (yet) occur with the Album.  When I designate black-and-white for my JPEG, I get a BLACK-AND-WHITE photo in the RAW format!  I’ve queried customer support about this, and they seem to regard the disparity (to me) as what is to be expected.  Anyway, I do hope they’re working on this aspect as well, but I’m not confident of a resolution. 

The other aspect I was hoping to be able to utilize the Album for (to be able to use it as a “true” photographic album) was to be able to load on it the photos I’d edited in Phototshop which are in the TIFF format.  However, the Album regrettably doesn’t handle TIFF.

So, let me briefly(!) relate to you what “adjustments” I’ve made to date to accommodate my requirements.  They are a bit cumbersome, but they work, for the most part.  I’ve converted all my RAW format to the Adobe DNG format (using the free Adobe DNG Converter) which allows my black-and-white JPEG photos to appear in the Album alongside the DNG-converted photos which appear in their natural color.  And I’ve converted my edited TIFF photos to JPEG using a format converter (in my case the fairly inexpensive ReaConverter Lite) which also has a mechanism for simultaneously producing thumbnails, which the Album (again mysteriously) doesn’t provide for JPEG images not produced by itself.   

And there you have it, for what it’s worth.  I don’t even know if our forum can accommodate a posting of this length, but I’ll give it a try.         
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

Rick_Allen

• http://www.rapdigital.net
Re: My Expanded Uses of the Sanho Hyperdrive Album
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 03:48:06 am »

Essentially what the album is doing is reading the embedded jpeg that is contained in the raw format. There's next to no case the album can convert a raw file.
Rick Allen
[url=http://www.rapdigital.ne

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 08:42:32 am »

Essentially what the album is doing is reading the embedded jpeg that is contained in the raw format. There's next to no case the album can convert a raw file.

Rick:  I suspect that what you suggest is the case is probably accurate, and would explain some of the problems I'm having.  However, what do you make of (or how do you explain) the manufacturer's following contention:

POWERFUL REAL RAW IMAGE DECODER

Equipped with RAW format CCD/CMOS image decoder (the Album can)... examine and discover any invalid pixel on a photo. It is the professional tool for photographers to analyze photos in anywhere and anytime.
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 10:40:23 am »

Rick:  I suspect that what you suggest is the case is probably accurate, and would explain some of the problems I'm having.  However, what do you make of (or how do you explain) the manufacturer's following contention:

POWERFUL REAL RAW IMAGE DECODER

Equipped with RAW format CCD/CMOS image decoder (the Album can)... examine and discover any invalid pixel on a photo. It is the professional tool for photographers to analyze photos in anywhere and anytime.

If your embedded thumbnails are smaller than full size, and if you can zoom in to full resolution, then it can decode Raws. My older Hyperdrive "Colorspace" model does decode Raws from my Canon 1Ds2 and 1Ds3, so I can zoom in and judge focus better than on the camera's LCD.

I can imaging that the decoding is not elaborate enough to incorporate effects such as B/W.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 11:13:37 am »

I must say that these (above) observations are contributing to a lessening of what I perceive to be the ultimate usefulness and potential of this device for me.   Bummer!
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:

Photolandscape

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 04:51:30 pm »

Hi Jim, I just bought a Sanho HyperDrive Album, and like you, bought a 320 Seagate drive for about $50 and installed it myself to save some $. I do have one issue with the HyperDrive, and wondered whether you could advise me as to what is going on.

Here's the deal. I download a SanDisk 8GB high-speed SDHC card directly into the slot in the HyperDrive. I see my files (18MB each .DNG files from my Leica M9) loading. When the transfer is finished, I click on the DCIM icon, then on the Leica icon, and I see the first 15 file downloads on the screen with a yellow RAW tag on each. So far, so good. Then I select a file, it says it is "decoding" it, and when the decoding finishes, the file appears filling the screen, but it is very dark and soft.

To me, the key point of the HyperDrive should be the ability to review the images full size on the screen, bright, and sharp--just like reviewing on the LCD on the camera or on my Hyperdrive Colorspace (with a tiny screen). But so far, that isn't happening.

I will go to their website--maybe it's a firmware issue and I need to download the latest?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. If you'd rather e-mail me directly, it's plattners@gmail.com.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve Plattner

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 07:31:57 pm »

Steve:  As you will have noted from my initial posting, in order for me to see my RW2 (RAW) files in their original color (rather than black-and-white) I've had to convert them to DNG, which is what you are (fortunately?) starting with.  And apparently as with you they appear initially on my Album screen as reduced-size color thumbnails and labeled "RAW."  When I click on them, they appear full-screen in fine detail.   The only time I experience in full-screen a blow-up as you describe which is "very dark and soft" is when I have intentionally created a "thumbnail" and then enlarged it.  And when I do click-on a DNG color thumbnail, it enlarges full-screen instantly, without any decoding notice.  (When I click on a RW2 image marked "RAW,' then that does go through a visibly-announced decoding process, which it wouldn't even do until I got the firmware upgrade, which I'm attaching here. http://mail.aol.com/32797-111/aol-1/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.29290651&folder=%2fSaved%2fMISCELLANEOUS&partId=2&saveAs=HDA_V29_100908.SEF.  Let me know if you have trouble downloading and installing it -- and whether it helps.  The rep in technical service that I have been dealing with is named Kelvin, and he's been fairly responsive.  Good luck.   Regards, Jim

Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:

supplyimaging

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 07:55:45 am »

Hi,
I have just bought a Sanho Hyperdrive Album off Ebay and it has firmware 26. Did you have a link to updated firmware? I have a Nexto DI 1501 for loading my photos to and think the Album will be a good backup drive that also can be used to view the images. It seems to work with my Sony A77 raw files as much as I need. Travelling fast and light around the world and not spending too much time in hotel rooms downloading photos and video. A laptop (Sony UX1) was used but was too slow really. This Nexto DI 1501 works really quickly and that with the Album gives me save backup.

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 10:32:33 am »

Hi,
I have just bought a Sanho Hyperdrive Album off Ebay and it has firmware 26. Did you have a link to updated firmware? I have a Nexto DI 1501 for loading my photos to and think the Album will be a good backup drive that also can be used to view the images. It seems to work with my Sony A77 raw files as much as I need. Travelling fast and light around the world and not spending too much time in hotel rooms downloading photos and video. A laptop (Sony UX1) was used but was too slow really. This Nexto DI 1501 works really quickly and that with the Album gives me save backup.

Last December 29 (2010) I received the following email from Kelvin at Sanho regarding the Hyperdrive Album:

"Hi Jim

"The Album unit is discontinued is due to technical issue, it is because we could not get any supplies for the 4.8" LCD screen. Most of the LCD screen manufacturers make the larger size, since the tablet computer is gaining steam now, such iPad and other brands.

"Regarding the firmware, if there is a bug that causing the unit in critical issue, our engineers will still look into it and have a solution for users.

"Thanks and Regards,

Kelvin"

So, I regret that for over a year now they have not been supporting it.  What you now have in your hands is apparently all you're ever going to get.  Regards, Jim

Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 10:44:31 am »

Even worse, they don't make the versions without the viewing screen. I have no use for it, and have been using dual SPACEs for years. The screen is busted on the other, but it still works. Hope they'll last as I'm not aware of another compact alternative, one that doesn't suffer from featuritis.

supplyimaging

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 02:52:14 pm »

I have had an email from Sanho with the 'latest software version 31 which I am now using. The main difference for me is that it shows the avchd files are on the hard disc even if it does not play them....

supplyimaging

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 11:22:56 am »

I have put the version 31 of the firmware on my web site http://www.supplyimaging.com/hyperdrive%20album.html  There is a link from the home page too.
I cannot say this is bug free as I have only used it for a short time. It helps me as it shows avchd files are there even if it does not play them!
Hope this is some use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up