Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shooting clothes  (Read 5767 times)

John Camp

shooting clothes
« on: October 06, 2010, 10:34:27 pm »

My typical walk-around outfit is jeans and t-shirt, and, when it gets colder, a sweat shirt or sweater. None of that is particularly good at carrying a camera, even a small "pocketable" one. (Try sitting on an S95 sometime.) The clothing "solutions" for photographers make you look like you just arrived from the jungle (camera vests) or from combat (belt systems.) What I would like, and which is largely missing, is a conventional, nice-looking -- say navy blue or black -- fitted cotton or light all-season wool sport coat that would work with both jeans and khakis, but with just a bit of extra room and support in the pockets. Like cargo pockets that expand slightly inward, rather than outward, so you don't walk around looking like you've got a gun in your pocket -- a hazard here in the US. I would think that with all the unnecessarily redundant photo gear out there (have you ever looked at the piles of virtually identical bags in a big photo store?) that at least one company would make a decent-looking sport coat, that would allow you to comfortably carry a camera up to the size of a Panasonic GF1 with pancake lens, and, when you're not shooting, free your hands. Oh, and while you're at it, *wide* zippered or Velcroed breast pockets that would take larger passport wallets and perhaps a medium travel guide.

JC 

brianrybolt

Re: shooting clothes
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 05:09:52 am »

The only solution I know to this problem, which I share, is to have a jacket/coat tailored to your requirements.  Pockets where you need them and strengthened if needed.  Expensive - Yes, but I think worth it in the end.  I have ruined many a suit &/or jacket with loading them with gear.

good luck,

Brian

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 08:21:36 am »

You might take a look at these jackets from Duluth Trading:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/mens/mens-presentation-jackets-blazer/mens-presentation-jackets-blazer.aspx

I don't own any, but I know guys who do and they love'em.

--Ken
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 02:57:36 pm »

"My typical walk-around outfit is jeans and t-shirt, and, when it gets colder, a sweat shirt or sweater. None of that is particularly good at carrying a camera, even a small "pocketable" one. (Try sitting on an S95 sometime.) The clothing "solutions" for photographers make you look like you just arrived from the jungle (camera vests) or from combat (belt systems.) What I would like, and which is largely missing, is a conventional, nice-looking"...

denim jacket, that would have internal pockets that close with a zipper, as well as a couple of extra external pockets that also zip closed, thus making a nice combination with the jeans.

I'm surprised at you John; you seem to wear exactly the same type of clothes that I do; I always had you figured for a much more conventional gentleman; more the city type. I have no idea why I thought this, other than from the way you have with words and a trace memory (that I have) where you said that you did journalism of some sort.

I wonder what the rest of us really look like?

Rob C

P.S. What's an S95? Is it a camera or a motorbike?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:01:54 pm by Rob C »

stever

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 12:15:02 am »

just did a little searching.  anyone have any experience with Scottvest?  looks capable of carrying quite a lot of gear unobtrusively (bigger than micro 4/3 ?), but since the pockets are internally accessed, may be a nuisance during shooting.

also looked at the Duluth - looks like nasty bulges if you put too much in the pockets.  not sure it constructed to carry loads

the Gitzo is very expensive and probably unusable in warm weather - bellows pockets will obviously hold a lot

what i need?
- jacket with removable sleeves and padded shoulders and support for weight so it doesn't become saggy baggy
- a couple externally accessable pockets with internal bellows and user-adjustable dividers to hold a reasonable size body or on or two reasonable sized lenses
- dedicated filter pocket with removable cleanable dividers
- lens cover pocket
- internal pockets for pens, flashlight, passport, ...
- handwarmer pockets

Thinktank, are you listening?

John Camp

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 12:31:37 pm »

I'm surprised at you John; you seem to wear exactly the same type of clothes that I do; I always had you figured for a much more conventional gentleman; more the city type. I have no idea why I thought this, other than from the way you have with words and a trace memory (that I have) where you said that you did journalism of some sort.
Rob C
P.S. What's an S95? Is it a camera or a motorbike?

I went to a photo-show opening for Ctein last night, and I'd have to say that photographers are *extremely* varied in appearance and dress.
An S95 is Canon's top-of-the-line shirt-pocket camera. Very nice, too - but you wouldn't want to sit on it, and its 0-60 time is terrible.
I used to be a journalist, and still do it from time to time; now I do fiction. (Is that different, I hear you ask? Such a cynic.)

just did a little searching.  anyone have any experience with Scottvest?  looks capable of carrying quite a lot of gear unobtrusively (bigger than micro 4/3 ?), but since the pockets are internally accessed, may be a nuisance during shooting.

also looked at the Duluth - looks like nasty bulges if you put too much in the pockets.  not sure it constructed to carry loads

the Gitzo is very expensive and probably unusable in warm weather - bellows pockets will obviously hold a lot

what i need?
- jacket with removable sleeves and padded shoulders and support for weight so it doesn't become saggy baggy
- a couple externally accessable pockets with internal bellows and user-adjustable dividers to hold a reasonable size body or on or two reasonable sized lenses
- dedicated filter pocket with removable cleanable dividers
- lens cover pocket
- internal pockets for pens, flashlight, passport, ...
- handwarmer pockets

Thinktank, are you listening?

I tried a Scottvest, and though it does hold a lot, it also bulges and is somewhat flimsy - especially the zippers.
I ordered a Duluth microfiber sport coat, it should arrive next week. I suspect you're correct in your view -- but I'm going to try it. I hope that as a "presentation jacket" -- that is, one that contractors use when presenting plans, etc., that it does have a lot of support and internal pockets for tape measures and such.

As for your specs, I think that jacket, or something very much like it, is available as a hunting jacket through Orvis or Powell. What I need is a sport coat -- something dressier than an outwear jacket, and that also isn't too conspicuous (which is why I specify navy blue or black.) The problem with a regular jacket is that you wouldn't wear one in warm weather, when you might very well still wear a sport coat -- going to visit religious shrines, etc. I travel quite a bit in the summer, and I don't like to have a lot of cameras obviously hanging off me, which is the same reason I don't want to wear camera vests and so on. I just want to...blend in, with something that looks neat and inoffensive.

I have had a sport coat made by a tailor (it was not entirely made from scratch, but I think is called "made-to-measure" which means that it's a stock-cut coat that is then altered to the requirements of the purchaser.) I had larger pockets put in the chest, so that it will take bulky document holders, etc., and even small guidebooks, both with zippers, and it works fine. I asked if I could get a kind of reverse-bellows side pockets that would bulge to the inside, rather than out, but the guy who was doing the alterations said that wouldn't work, so while it's good for documents, it's not so good for cameras. When I spec'd out that coat, I was doing a lot of traveling in the Middle East, and I had it made in a very small black-and-dark blue check, because black sometimes has religious meanings that I wanted to avoid, while at the same time I wanted it very conservative so that I would blend as much as possible into the street. It was, I have to say, perfect for that.

Maybe what I really need is an extended line of pancake lenses for my Panasonic GF-1. They've come out with a new 14mm, and now, if they had a ~40 and a ~70, like Pentax, I might not have to jump through all these hoops.

Thinktank might actually be the big hope for both our jackets. I would think they'd be interested especially in my concept, because journalists often go to places where they just as soon not look like journalists. When I was working for newspapers, we used to joke that when there was a riot, you didn't want to stand too close to the photo guys, because you could get hurt...as a reporter, you'd just stick your notebook in your pocket, and then you were just some passer-by.

JC

stever

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 03:55:08 pm »

thanks for the info on Scottvest, let us know how the Duluth works out

some of the hunting jackets might be okay, but i don't think any are available in dark blue or black

Jay Kaplan

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 04:35:31 pm »

Tilly makes a number of different jackets that may suit your needs such as their Urban Traveller Blazer http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?gender=m&extractBy=CategoryId&id=9&productNo=RT49

lookit

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 10:02:30 am »

You might consider vests and jackets for fishing, which also can involve a lot of pockets, though not necessarily with any attention to padding or absence of scratchy surfaces such as metal zippers and other connectors.

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 07:11:39 am »

Tilly makes a number of different jackets that may suit your needs such as their Urban Traveller Blazer http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?gender=m&extractBy=CategoryId&id=9&productNo=RT49
A polyester, dull-as-ditch-water (actually ditch-water coloured too!) jacket for $265. It seems all you have to do is add the "travel" adjective (alternatively "photographers'") to clothing in order to add a large multiplier to the price.
Roy

Outback Shooter

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 11:56:42 am »

Sounds like you would benefit by having someone sew a jacket for you, or alter an existing jacket.  Heck, maybe even your wife or a friend already knows how to sew and could do this for you.  Just a thought.

Two of my friends use the Scott's vest for photographers and they like them a lot.  I thought they were great except for in the heat, as they have to be worn in addition to your regular clothing. 

Cabela's offers a lot of fishing/hunting/hiking apparel that might offer a solution as well.

Good luck!

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 04:04:38 pm »

...  I ordered a Duluth microfiber sport coat, it should arrive next week. I suspect you're correct in your view -- but I'm going to try it. I hope that as a "presentation jacket" -- that is, one that contractors use when presenting plans, etc., that it does have a lot of support and internal pockets for tape measures and such.

How do you like the Duluth sport coat?
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

DaveL

• http://
Scottevest
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 11:24:00 am »

I've had good experience with this line.
Bought their travel vest first. Trucked my G9 around Newfoundland in the fall, then continued using it frequently all winter last year.
Regrets? No sleeves.
Bought their travel jacket next.
Sleeves are removable. Misses the 2 outside chest pockets that I really use a lot.
Bought their fleece jacket next. It's more a liner. Has removable sleeves too; haven't done that.
It's great, except it's a magnet for my Golden Retriever's hair. Or maybe it's mine. I'm shedding too.

All are wonderful for travel.  Slide the vest into the bin at security; no fumbling. Carries my G11 easily; my little Pany very easily.

If you're interested, do a search for "coupons" and save some money. Watch HST in Canada, and shipping cost.

Another thought--Domke still sells their photogs jacket...

DaveL

Lightsmith

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 07:46:28 pm »

I have a Domke photographer's jacket that I take almost everywhere. Where it is better than a vest or Think Tank type of system is that the lens bulges are smoothed by the lines of the jacket. If I wanted a dressier jacket I would buy one a size too large and have a seamstress sew in some inside pockets with velcro closures. If you try to use outer pockets you will get bulges and not the look you see with the models in the travel gear catalogs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up