Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Profile with Lamination  (Read 1759 times)

Sparky

Color Profile with Lamination
« on: October 05, 2010, 02:10:31 pm »

Has anyone figured out a good method for profiling canvas with lamination.  Our laminate that is applied with a vacuum press shifts the color a yellow-green.  I thought I could simply read the color patch with our ProfileMaker 5 software and i1iO after the patches were laminated and not have any problems creating a great profile.  The result is not what I expected.  The prints are still yellow-green after they are laminated, but not quite as much if I hadn't profiled the patches after lamination.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

Doyle Yoder

Re: Color Profile with Lamination
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 02:21:38 pm »

You might want try other laminates or are you sure it is not the heat and dwell time that is causing this shift?

I use heat set laminate applied with a heated roll laminated and have never seen any color shifts, only more brilliance in colors which I have never had a issue with profiling.

What ink are you using? I have seen comments in the past about problems with Epson ink under heat, but asked a Epson tech this once and he claimed it should not be a problem. I use Canon ink on canvas.

Doyle

Sparky

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 02:34:14 pm »

I am using an Epson 9900 with Epson inks.  The laminate that I am using is ArtShield Satinex™ UV.  Description: HeatSet™ PVC (vinyl) laminating film has a semi-gloss finish and provides excellent UV protection.   I talked with the manufacturer and their suggested heat & dwell time are 190 degrees for 6 minutes and this is what we are using.  The laminate was chosen by our production manager.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 03:18:11 pm »

Generally speaking, you measure the targets used to build the profile after they too have any kind of laminate.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 03:19:53 pm »

I have used both MediaShield Satinex and Mattex (should be the same as ArtShield) and have not seen any color shifts, but again that was with Canon inks.

Doyle
Pages: [1]   Go Up