Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorry but what may seem very basic questions  (Read 2671 times)

Graham M H

Sorry but what may seem very basic questions
« on: October 04, 2010, 06:37:53 pm »

I have just purchased Lightroom 3 and the Lu La Lightroom 3 Tutorial and I have never used lightroom before so I am wading my way through both.  :o

I seem to be struggling with the fact that there is no save in LR3 - I think it just my mind set.

I have used Photoshop for years but in a very basic way just doing what I felt were the steps necessary for my work. At the end of my work flow I would save to a file my new completed image into a master file where I would return when I needed to to print the image - the only thing I needed to do was sharpen and print. My original image with no work done was kept in the as shot file from where it came. Sometimes I would open the finished image and convert it to JPG and resize it for emailing or to the web and save in another file awaiting the next stage. In all these cases the very first thing I did with the image was duplicate and work on the copy.

I suppose my questions relate to what is the best practise with LR 3 with regard to working on a duplicte and to saving !!!!!

Will my original as shot image stay in the catalogue once the finished master is exported.  ???

Thanks
Graham

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Sorry but what may seem very basic questions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:58:10 pm »

I have just purchased Lightroom 3 and the Lu La Lightroom 3 Tutorial and I have never used lightroom before so I am wading my way through both.  :o

I seem to be struggling with the fact that there is no save in LR3 - I think it just my mind set.

I have used Photoshop for years but in a very basic way just doing what I felt were the steps necessary for my work. At the end of my work flow I would save to a file my new completed image into a master file where I would return when I needed to to print the image - the only thing I needed to do was sharpen and print. My original image with no work done was kept in the as shot file from where it came. Sometimes I would open the finished image and convert it to JPG and resize it for emailing or to the web and save in another file awaiting the next stage. In all these cases the very first thing I did with the image was duplicate and work on the copy.

I suppose my questions relate to what is the best practise with LR 3 with regard to working on a duplicte and to saving !!!!!

Will my original as shot image stay in the catalogue once the finished master is exported.  ???

Most of the questions are answered in the tutorial. Also, the LL DAM tutorial answers some of the questions regarding workflow.

As to your last question, the answer is yes. Lightroom doesn't change the original image data. Undo history is kept across sessions unlike PS, so you can always return back to the original file.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 03:51:34 am »

At the end of my work flow I would save to a file my new completed image into a master file where I would return when I needed to to print the image - the only thing I needed to do was sharpen and print. My original image with no work done was kept in the as shot file from where it came.
Just the same in LR, only more convenient :
- The adjustments to your "master file" are automatically saved after each edit, in the catalog by default, and a copy of the adjustments is also written in an XMP file if you choose so (catalog preferences, metadata, write changes in XMP).
- The original file is left untouched,
- You can always export a jpeg for emailing, or print one copy (sharpening and resizing handled very well by LR), or upload images in a web gallery...

As feppe, if you take the time to sit a few hours and watch the tutorial having LR at hand to practice what you learn, it should be much clearer.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Graham M H

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 05:22:12 am »

I thank you very much for your replies - I hope it did not come across as I am not trying myself - because I am putting the time in to learn. I think I am stuck in a mindset ( working with PS ) but when the light comes on all will be clear I hope.

I am comfortable with the import and the workflow in develop ( not profficient - but getting by ) but the whole export part is a "biggie" for me. I am so used to saving my completed images into a master file and then printing future orders for prints from there with only the need to re-size and sharpen.

Thank you
Graham

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:55:34 am »

I am so used to saving my completed images into a master file and then printing future orders for prints from there with only the need to re-size and sharpen.

Well in LR you keep the original raw or jpg, and save the set of instructions to "develop" the picture to your liking which is all saved. So now you can again either print different sizes directly from lightroom (the print sharpening routine are based on the PKsharpener routines) or export unsharpened (and resized or not) to Photoshop where you can sharpen and resize to your own liking.

The big plus is that you can always adjust or delete any develop action you did in any random order, which is not always possible or easy in Photoshop, even if you save all changes on a separate layer. 
pieter, aka pegelli

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 01:38:05 pm »

I am comfortable with the import and the workflow in develop ( not profficient - but getting by ) but the whole export part is a "biggie" for me. I am so used to saving my completed images into a master file and then printing future orders for prints from there with only the need to re-size and sharpen.

What I do is copy the original keeper file to a Virtual Copy, and rename the ("Copy Name") to Master. I then make all adjustments necessary. As a final step I rate it on the star system, and put a "Master" color label on it (you can edit the color label names).

That way I can find all my master files by filtering with "Copy Name = master".

I also physically (well, virtually) move my master files to a separate master folder on my hard drive, renaming them with a template country_city_(title).extension - I do mostly travel photography.

Again, the DAM tutorial is highly recommended as it takes a lot of the pain away from dealing with thousands of files and various different versions of it. There's also a good free online DAM tutorial made by one of the forum members, but can't find it right now.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 08:05:05 pm »

It does seem odd, but there is no "save" in Lightroom. The reason is related to the very nature of the program - your edits to an image are saved separately from the image itself. The original image remains unchanged, so the question of saving or not saving becomes moot.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 03:16:18 am »

It does seem odd, but there is no "save" in Lightroom. The reason is related to the very nature of the program - your edits to an image are saved separately from the image itself. The original image remains unchanged, so the question of saving or not saving becomes moot.

Peter

This is not quite correct. You can "force" a save of the editing metadata to the catalogue and to the xmp sidecar file at any time using control+S, in Windows at any rate.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Graham M H

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 05:50:24 am »

I would just like to thank everyone for their replies - You have all given me food for thought and I think the light is now on !!!! :o

Feppe your DAM so to speak is very similar to the way I worked in PS having a master file that you stored you print and re-print images from there, and you have adapted it to LR. I think that is the answer for me too. With the colour coding.

For some reason the No Save or working in real time as Michael puts it was a hurdle for me but I think I have it now.

Thank you
Graham.

frugal

• http://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 07:00:56 am »

This is not quite correct. You can "force" a save of the editing metadata to the catalogue and to the xmp sidecar file at any time using control+S, in Windows at any rate.

Actually, that's only forcing a saved to the XMP file, the catalogue is always updated realtime.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 07:33:03 am »

On top of that if you select Edit/Catalog Settings/Metadata and check "Automatically Write Changes into XMP" that also happens automatically, an no manual intervention will be needed to store everything you've done.
pieter, aka pegelli

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 08:14:16 am »

What I do is copy the original keeper file to a Virtual Copy, and rename the ("Copy Name") to Master. I then make all adjustments necessary. As a final step I rate it on the star system, and put a "Master" color label on it (you can edit the color label names).

That way I can find all my master files by filtering with "Copy Name = master".

I also physically (well, virtually) move my master files to a separate master folder on my hard drive, renaming them with a template country_city_(title).extension - I do mostly travel photography.
Simpler alternative : I give my images stars, so that I know that any 3* or more is an image worth printing, and any 4* or more is a real keeper.
I don't need to tag it "master" because with LR all my images are master files, indeed.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
Pages: [1]   Go Up