Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Stunning Macro Photography  (Read 5488 times)

JohnKoerner

Stunning Macro Photography
« on: October 04, 2010, 05:44:21 pm »

I was just blown away by the macro photography of this fellow from Italy, who goes by the name Juza. Here is the link to his recent work:

http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/galleries/macro-italy_07.htm#013190

It takes a bit to download, but it really is worth the wait to allow all the photos to load and then to scroll down the list.

Incredible subjects, incredible detail, incredible colors, incredible background bokehs. Had to give credit after I saw these.

Truly inspiring!

Jack

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Stunning Macro Photography
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 12:43:43 am »

Some really great work, no question, but every image shows a single insect on a single stem with a single colour background.  Reminds me of James Audubon's 'Birds of America' paintings.  I'd suggest he's doing this in a studio somewhere.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 01:35:47 am »

Thanks for the link Jack, agree amazing work and find enough variety of positions and background/environment for my liking.
pieter, aka pegelli

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 02:49:57 am »

Some really great work, no question, but every image shows a single insect on a single stem with a single colour background.  Reminds me of James Audubon's 'Birds of America' paintings.  I'd suggest he's doing this in a studio somewhere.

Mike.

Possibly... but I dont think its studio work. The light is considerably varied from shot to shot suggesting it was done outside (likely with ring fill flash). Regardless there are some great shots there.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 03:56:36 am »

I was just blown away by the macro photography of this fellow from Italy, who goes by the name Juza. Here is the link to his recent work:
These pictures look soft and rough, even at web res... even the "flat" picture with little need for DOF.

...but it is difficult to get good insect macro without MF and focus stacking with a dead specimen.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:59:10 am by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Josh-H

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 04:45:04 am »

These pictures look soft and rough, even at web res... even the "flat" picture with little need for DOF.

...but it is difficult to get good insect macro without MF and focus stacking with a dead specimen.

Hahahah. this is a bait right? Your fishing? You surely are not suggesting good macro work cannot be done without MF!

Got nothing else to do Dick but Troll?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 04:49:38 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

JohnKoerner

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 07:57:53 am »

Mike.

But what makes these photos, Mike, is the natural lighting ... that simply cannot be duplicated in-studio.

I think the simplicity of lines and color allow the viewer to really appreciate all of the intricate detail of the subject. In many of the images, even the blades of grass contain rainbows of colors if one really takes the time to note them. In most cases, the creamy background bokehs totally enhance the subjects (especially w/ some of the spider images). I have been trying to get my background colors to be cool and pleasing (which can be no small task after 10:00am in the harsh florida sun), and I for one appreciate the cool effects of this fellow's photographs :)

Jack

JohnKoerner

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 08:11:45 am »

If you were experienced with macro, you would realize that almost all macrophotography has little depth-of-field.

And the term "macro" itself, with respect to lenses of this type, has to do with precisely the flatness of the image it produces.

Macro lenses are the polar-opposite to wide-angle lenses with respect to dimension and depth of field.

Of all the great macrophotography that has been produced, I would say less than 1% of it has come from MF cameras. There is almost no need for a MF camera in macro work. Even landscapers who use MF tend to switch to DSLR for macro.

Furthermore, focus-stacking with dead specimens isn't exactly a celebration of natural life, is it?

I'd sure like to see examples of your own macro work, if you don't like the macro work presented in this fellow's website. My guess is it's easier for you to criticize and theorize than it would be for you to produce better macro images of wildlife that you've taken yourself ;)

But if you have them, I'd sure be willing to give credit ... if credit's due ... otherwise, thanks for the chuckle

Jack

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:13:37 am by John Koerner »

JohnKoerner

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 08:16:26 am »

Thanks for the link Jack, agree amazing work and find enough variety of positions and background/environment for my liking.

Possibly... but I dont think its studio work. The light is considerably varied from shot to shot suggesting it was done outside (likely with ring fill flash). Regardless there are some great shots there.

Yep.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 10:43:07 am »

Hahahah. this is a bait right? Your fishing? You surely are not suggesting good macro work cannot be done without MF!

Got nothing else to do Dick but Troll?
I have been convalescing from open cholesystectomy for three months, and have not had the energy to do much more than troll this forum,,, but I am on the mend now. (Saw the physio today).

¿Depending on your yardstick, what you do and and how big you want to print, good photography cannot be done without MF or LF.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 11:19:21 am »

If you were experienced with macro, you would realize that almost all macrophotography has little depth-of-field.

And the term "macro" itself, with respect to lenses of this type, has to do with precisely the flatness of the image it produces.

Macro lenses are the polar-opposite to wide-angle lenses with respect to dimension and depth of field.
...the term "macro" itself, is, by definition photography where the reproduction ratio >= 1:1, and it is the magnification ratio that affects the DOF.

If I was not aware of the complications of the limited DOF, I would not have mentioned focus-stacking.
Even landscapers who use MF tend to switch to DSLR for macro.
I hope soon to be acquiring the equipment to make MF macro-photography more practicable, including eShutters for programmed focus-stacking with a medium format digital view camera.
Furthermore, focus-stacking with dead specimens isn't exactly a celebration of natural life, is it?
Using an auto-focus stacker will hopefully make it possible to photograph some live animals,,, but there are other applications for macro-photography.
I'd sure like to see examples of your own macro work, if you don't like the macro work presented in this fellow's website.

Jack
I am looking forward to having the equipment to put my theories to the test and take some pictures, and to further recover from major surgery so that I have the energy... but, as you suggest, it is now easier for me to criticize and theorize than it is to produce better macro images.

...but, in the meantime I will try to get out and capture some autumn colours.

JohnKoerner

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 12:23:16 pm »

...the term "macro" itself, is, by definition photography where the reproduction ratio >= 1:1, and it is the magnification ratio that affects the DOF.

Not all macro lenses are 1:1, most notably the Zeiss.

And since a flat view and a shallow depth-of-field are part of the dynamics of all macro lens, to criticize a macro photograph for exhibiting these elements seems (pardon the pun) shallow itself.

If I was not aware of the complications of the limited DOF, I would not have mentioned focus-stacking.I hope soon to be acquiring the equipment to make MF macro-photography more practicable, including eShutters for programmed focus-stacking with a medium format digital view camera.Using an auto-focus stacker will hopefully make it possible to photograph some live animals,,, but there are other applications for macro-photography.

Well, if you were already aware of the depth-of-field limitations of macro, then to criticize an otherwise great macro shot for this element to it seems pointless IMO. That would be tantamount to me criticizing a landscape shot because I couldn't see all intricate details of the wildlife perched in the faraway trees ... I should simply understand why

Which brings us to the fact that there are more important elements to macrophotography than "having everything in focus"; for example---lighting, form, and color. IMO, what a focus-stacked studio shot might have in clear focus, it would totally lack in bokeh, background color, and the suspended dreamlike quality that a great, natural, single-shot macrophotograph carries.

And, again, the piecemeal-photographing of a dead insect, in-studio, would pretty much be the polar-opposite experience (spiritually) of enjoying a wonderfully-captured moment of a beautiful living insect displayed under perfect lighting in nature. You may have a "sharp image," that might contain a certain amount of interest, detail-wise, but it would never have the same impact emotionally with your audience.

I am looking forward to having the equipment to put my theories to the test and take some pictures, and to further recover from major surgery so that I have the energy... but, as you suggest, it is now easier for me to criticize and theorize than it is to produce better macro images.

Well, I sure hope you feel better and recover fully, Dick, and I would love to see your ideas featured here. What you propose involves a lot of work and expense, and if it results in what you'd hoped-for, then I would enjoy seeing it too.

...but, in the meantime I will try to get out and capture some autumn colours.

Well, good luck to you, and enjoy yourself.

Fall colors are something I don't get to see much of, here in Florida, compared to when I was in Tennessee

Jack

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 01:40:47 pm »

Well, I sure hope you feel better and recover fully, Dick, and I would love to see your ideas featured here. What you propose involves a lot of work and expense,
Jack
One of the reason I am intending to spend time and money setting up systems for macro-photography is that it will hopefully be something I can do into my old age (I am now 61), when I can no longer get up mountains with half a ton of MF gear... and I have been thinking more of jewelry and flora than fauna.

I have been watching eBay and acquiring kit for macro for a very long time, and I now have most of what I need, including a Macro Planar 120, an Apo-Digitar 120, a Sinar P3, a set of Zeiss Luminar lenses for 1:1 to 40:1 and a RMS (microscope screw) to copal 1 front thread adapter.

I hope my system will be fast enough to focus-stack flowers!

(I knew Leslie Greenwood, a flower painter, and produced slides of his work for lectures... and he told me that some flowers collapsed to quickly after being cut that he had to paint them live, and for tropical-canopy flowers, this involved building a scaffold into the roof of Kew botanic garden, London.)

Josh-H

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 05:31:03 pm »

¿Depending on your yardstick, what you do and and how big you want to print, good photography cannot be done without MF or LF.

What utter nonsense.

I am probably biting on another bait... but... your snide, comments and remarks belittling anything non MF are starting to get to grate on me. (I probably need another coffee or need to move you to ignore Dick).

Wild Nature Photo Travel

slowisfast

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 06:24:29 pm »

great find!  these are fantastic...thanks for the share.
i'm just a dude.

JohnKoerner

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 06:45:15 pm »

great find!  these are fantastic...thanks for the share.

No prob!

That was the original intent of the topic post, was for those interested in macro shots to really enjoy some fantastic work :)

What's even more amazing is, in reading the photographer's bio, he is only 25 years old :o

His work is spectacular for any age, but the fact he's mastered that kind of proficiency at so young an age truly is remarkable.

Jack

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 01:33:34 am »

Awesome, and the rest of the image galleries are just as impressive.

I love the duck image (002269 - Aix galericulata (Mandarin Duck)

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 01:37:19 am »

What! Mate, go back to the physio and ask him to assess your neck for Vertebrobasilar Insufficiency (VBI) cause i don;t think the bloods getting to your head right.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 04:27:04 am »

What utter nonsense.

I am probably biting on another bait... but... your snide, comments and remarks belittling anything non MF are starting to get to grate on me. (I probably need another coffee or need to move you to ignore Dick).
...so why did anyone ever use 10 * 8 or larger?

slowisfast

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 04:53:41 am »

What's even more amazing is, in reading the photographer's bio, he is only 25 years old :o

there is something to be said about the veracity of youth.  :)
i'm just a dude.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up