Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Foliage Report for Vermont/New Hampshire October 3  (Read 2919 times)

John Hollenberg

Foliage Report for Vermont/New Hampshire October 3
« on: October 03, 2010, 05:58:34 pm »

This is my 4th trip to Vermont and New Hampshire.  Today we drove from Manchester, NH to Lincoln, NH, about 10 miles East on the Kangamacus Highway, then over to Vermont and through the Groton State Forest, with a stop at Kettle Pond.

Overall impression--extremely disappointing color compared to all of the other years.  Apparently there was a lot of leaf loss from heavy wind/rain on October 1.  The area of the White Mountains we drove through wasn't even worth stopping for a quick snapshot.  The areas looked either post-peak with a lot of leaf drop, or just didn't have very brilliant color, even in the places that had changed and not lost their leaves.

The only place we found worthwhile was at Kettle Pond in Groton State Forest.  While nowhere near as nice as years past, there were a lot of yellows and a few oranges/reds.  The drive was very pleasant on the higher parts of Route 232.  We saw a group of 6-7 photographers there, so apparently that is one of the better places now.

Not sure where to go tomorrow and for the rest of the week... we may go further north in the Northeast Kingdom area of Vermont.  If anyone lives in the area or has been through very recently and has any good tips on where to find decent color, they would be much appreciated.

John Hollenberg

Re: Foliage Report for Vermont/New Hampshire October 3
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:11:22 pm »

Followup to my own report.  Today (Nov. 4) we spent time driving within about 30 miles of Stowe, Vermont.  In the morning, we went to Kissing Bridge (also has a couple of other names), one of the covered bridges of Vermont.  There was a little pool about 10 feet in diameter on some rocks just downstream from the bridge.  The reflections from surrounding trees looked great.  About a minute after we arrived, a group of about 6 photographers and a leader showed up (so we figured it was definitely a hot spot).  To my amazement, one of the group went into my shot and started scooping leaves out of the water to "improve" the shot he had planned.  This is the first time I have ever run into a rude photographer in my travels over the last 8 years.  I made a loud comment, "You aren't the only photographer here!" and he stopped, but not sure he appreciated the break in etiquette.  I proceeded to get a bunch of really cool shots (I think, haven't checked them on the laptop yet), and noticed as soon as we left he started scooping more leaves out of the water.  Regardless of whether you think rearranging nature is a legitimate approach, my thought was that he was so intent on getting "the" shot of the bridge, that he didn't notice the marvelous opportunities in front of him using the arrangement that occurred naturally.

Later in the day we visited some other covered bridges, which were interesting, but none had the outstanding opportunity we found at Kissing Bridge.  The color seemed a little better in Stowe today, but extremely focal and did not lend itself to broader vistas.  Virtually all of the good shots we have gotten in the last two days involved water/fall color reflections, and we really had to search for those.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 06:43:50 am »

October 5 report:  found it!  Jenne farm 6 miles south of Woodstock is breathtaking.  Also try Caper Hill Road half a mile south on route 106 on the left.  Stunning color.  Going back October 6, hope it isn't raining too much today.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 12:01:24 pm »

October 6: Jenne Farm Road and Caper Hill Road are still stunning, although there is a moderate amount of leaf drop.  Probably still pretty good for another day or two.  Morning shoot before the rain really got going was the best of the trip.  Don't miss these two spots if you are in the area now.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 09:30:52 pm »

October 7 - went to Southwestern Vermont, drove Route 11 and 30 to Manchester.  Some color, but a lot of leaf drop.  Nothing worth stopping to shoot.  Came back on Kelly Stand Road from Arlington to some town near West Dover.  Great road, but way past peak, tons of leaf drop.  Good for next year.  Oddly enough, I got one of my best photos of the trip on a section of the stream that had some color and moss covered rocks.  Go figure.

hubell

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:51:53 pm »

October 7 - went to Southwestern Vermont, drove Route 11 and 30 to Manchester.  Some color, but a lot of leaf drop.  Nothing worth stopping to shoot.  Came back on Kelly Stand Road from Arlington to some town near West Dover.  Great road, but way past peak, tons of leaf drop.  Good for next year.  Oddly enough, I got one of my best photos of the trip on a section of the stream that had some color and moss covered rocks.  Go figure.

I have traversed the Kelly Stand Rd. numerous times over the years in Autumn. There are few roads more beautiful, but, strangely, I have never found it very interesting photographically. You are basically driving through a forest with a heavy canopy. The area of the road toward Manchester where it follows the path of the stream can be quite good for water/reflection/foliage shots in overcast or light rain. In sun, forget it. The contrast is excessive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up