Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Underwater Experiment  (Read 4356 times)

tokengirl

Underwater Experiment
« on: October 02, 2010, 05:08:10 pm »

I've had an underwater housing for my Canon G10 for quite a while, but I've never really used it until today.  I didn't have a lot of interest in taking photos of tropical fish swimming around coral reefs, I was more interested in experimenting with photos half in the water and half out, and looking up out of the water or from the water's surface.  Two from today I'm happy with:

1.  The "little head, big body" effect was better than I could have hoped for.  ;D

Under The Sea-2
by MsMambo, on Flickr

2.  The downside of shooting above water after having the camera underwater is the water drops on the housing.  Or maybe it's not such a bad thing?  In any case, I really love the water reflections on the hull of the boat.

Under The Sea-1 by MsMambo, on Flickr

fredjeang

Re: Underwater Experiment
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 06:52:07 pm »

I really like those pictures Claire. Specially the first one.
The render looks somewhere like you've been using a silver-efex-pro plug, if so, you are absolutly right. I have not find so far, even in C1, a better tool for B&W

Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 06:56:29 pm by fredjeang »

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 03:49:26 am »

Good to see somebody experimenting with the act of taking a photograph rather than simply playing with a gadget that just happens to take pictures.

Good shots both, I particularly admire the way that the technique detaches the subjects from the world as a whole. We all know that they belong to the same planet as us but here they have been taken out of it and isolated by the expanse and volume of water. It is akin to putting a bug on a white sheet the better to study and focus upon it.

The expressions indicate that the subjects are privy to the experiment and are colluding in its execution turning what could have been a cold dismal study into a warm collaboration between viewer and subject which is a nice touch.

Well done!

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 05:11:05 am »

Sorry not to share the enthusiasm for the first shot - probably the price I pay for having looked at too many stock catalogues, where this crack at the genre wouldn't rate at all.

As for the second one, I think it's great as b/w and I think it would also do very well indeed as a colour image. I don't for a moment buy into any of the 'other world' ethic; there's pretty little wrong with the real world you illustrate in that second shot. The first is just  bleak, grim, cold and impersonal (to me). But then again, I've had a love/hate/envy/too poor relationship with boats since I first saw one. Only thing, I wouldn't allow a pooch aboard; or did you buy him bootees?

Rob C

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 06:08:54 am »

Ah, but is it not refreshing to see a genre remembered, or at least rediscovered?

Oh I wouldn't say other world, just a subject of this one isolated by a different environment. I've spent many a happy hour on or in the water which I admit may cloud my judgement.

Justin.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 01:14:02 pm »

Claire, I'm especially fascinated by what appears to be the girl's finger in #2.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

fredjeang

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 01:18:17 pm »

Claire, I'm especially fascinated by what appears to be the girl's finger in #2.
Russ, you did it the right way! I was about to write about this finger in my first post, but did not dare because english is not my lenguage and could not find the elegant way...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:45:22 am by fredjeang »

tokengirl

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 02:25:27 pm »

I was so hoping no one would notice that...  :D

tokengirl

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 02:32:58 pm »

Sorry not to share the enthusiasm for the first shot - probably the price I pay for having looked at too many stock catalogues, where this crack at the genre wouldn't rate at all.

As for the second one, I think it's great as b/w and I think it would also do very well indeed as a colour image. I don't for a moment buy into any of the 'other world' ethic; there's pretty little wrong with the real world you illustrate in that second shot. The first is just  bleak, grim, cold and impersonal (to me). But then again, I've had a love/hate/envy/too poor relationship with boats since I first saw one. Only thing, I wouldn't allow a pooch aboard; or did you buy him bootees?

Rob C

Personally, I prefer the 2nd one too.

What I really want to know is why you wouldn't allow a dog on board?  If you are concerned about doggie toenails scratching up the finish, I can assure you that modern non-skid gelcoat on today's boats is plenty tough enough to handle it.  Jasmine does, however, have boat shoes.  They are mainly to protect her paws if she jumps in shallow water on a rocky or oyster-filled bottom.  ;)

jeremypayne

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 03:44:49 pm »

With a plastic port, Pledge will help keep the water drops from forming ... As will spit.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 04:20:07 pm »

Personally, I prefer the 2nd one too.

What I really want to know is why you wouldn't allow a dog on board?  If you are concerned about doggie toenails scratching up the finish, I can assure you that modern non-skid gelcoat on today's boats is plenty tough enough to handle it.  Jasmine does, however, have boat shoes.  They are mainly to protect her paws if she jumps in shallow water on a rocky or oyster-filled bottom.  ;)

GELCOAT!!! You mean you don't have wood?

Seriously, though, yes, I wouldn't like to risk surfaces with nails. I remember always having to leave my shoes, and Ann her stilettos, at the foot of the passerelle before getting aboard any boats... them wus the days them wus! Enjoy evey bit whilst you can; tomorrow it might have been a dream.

Rob C

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 12:14:05 pm »

First is a fun experiment, but as a pleasing picture to look at the second has much more in my mind.

Am I the only one who has trouble with the mast growing out of the hand of the girl, and immediately reminding me of a less friendly gesture?
pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 03:48:59 pm »

Pegelli, you must have missed the posts above....

Toke - glad you resisted the temptation to PS the mast, rod or antenna away... the graphics of the straight lines of which it forms a part of the group are a lovely accidental bit of interest. And keeping your position, balance etc. in water must, I think, preclude it being careful planning!

Next time anyone says 'Lucky dog!' I shall think of Jasmine.

Ciao

Rob C 

fredjeang

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 04:59:25 pm »

I still prefer the first pic after watching again with distance. Maybe because I only shoot humans and on the first one the story told is one, on the second I read many stories at the same time.
The atmosphere is also more dramatic and reach my feeling much more. There is a proximity the other does not have.
In short, the first is more "a block" to me. The second one is a missed story between choices. IMO.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 05:01:04 pm by fredjeang »

pegelli

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 12:57:36 am »

Pegelli, you must have missed the posts above....

Why do you think that? I think fascination is a different feeling from being troubled by it, but English is not my native language so you might have missed the difference I was trying to express.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:21:14 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 06:06:19 am »

Why do you think that? I think fascination is a different feeling from being troubled by it, but English is not my native language so you might have missed the difference I was trying to express.

a. Your English is pretty damn good;

b. the point was that several other people had already made the observation, pointing out the finger/mast thing - that's all.

Rob C

popnfresh

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 11:27:36 am »

I love them both. Your work transcends 99% of anything I've seen on LL. You're an artist.

pegelli

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 02:32:28 am »

a. Your English is pretty damn good;
I work for an American Company, so some of my UK friends will probably disagree  ;D
b. the point was that several other people had already made the observation, pointing out the finger/mast thing - that's all.
OK, mystery cleared up, I saw those references but interpreted them as liking the effect, while I surely didn't, which was my basis for putting the comment.
pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 12:40:26 pm »

Specially redone for Tokengirl who obviously has her heart, if not her momney, in the right place.

Comes under the general heading of Wishful Thinking.

;-)

Rob C

EDIT: again, I'm forced to wonder why in hell the image shows in this form instead of as a straight image without silly framework and only after multiple clicks; after all, the only tool available is pretty obvious, so how come it becomes so complex in the practice?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:43:33 pm by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up