Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glacier National Park  (Read 4034 times)

Marshal

Glacier National Park
« on: May 02, 2004, 11:39:07 pm »

Lake Apgar and Lake McDonald on the west side are beautiful areas to shoot. Have fun.

Bill_Kaiser

Glacier National Park
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 12:24:54 am »

Lake McDonald from Apgar at sunrise on a calm day yields some beautiful reflections.

If overcast, head for Avalanche Creek. It photographs best in flat, overcast light.

Sunrise at Many Glacier can be very impressive. Best photos I've seen are just before the sun actually comes up. You might see bears there too.

Almost any turnout on the west side of Logan Pass will be an opportunity for a stunning photo.

jamesdak

Glacier National Park
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 08:38:32 pm »

I don't think there is a bad place in the park, just bring plenty of film.  Everytime I was there the Elk would come out it a big meadow between St Marys Campground and the main park every morning and evening.  I you move in real early in the morning you should be able to catch them coming out for some great shots.  Do remember that you are in bear country though.  I've encounted bears at a very close range on two different visits.  I now carry a can a Bear Guard spray just in case.  Enjoy the scenery, wish I was going also.

johnrussell

Glacier National Park
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 12:20:57 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Be sure to visit Kintla lake. It is the northern most lake on the west sided. Hike the trail to upper Kintla lake ( I used my inflatable kayak ). Also, make sure to stop at Polebridge General store, they have a great bakery. DO NOT take the road up the west side of the park ( inside north fork road) unless you have a 4wd. Take outside north fork road. You will go past the "Big Meadow". Beautiful place. You will want to drive "The road to the Sun " several times.   :laugh:[/font]

Leej

Glacier National Park
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 09:08:02 pm »

My wife and I will be in Glacier National Park around June 22nd for 4 days or so.  Any specific shooting suggestions?  We will be staying on the west side, probably outside the park at a commercial RV facility in Hungry Horse.
Jim

Bill Belvin

Glacier National Park
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 12:05:44 pm »

Logan Pass and the Hidden Lake Trail should provide many ops to photograph mountain goats and perhaps Bighorn sheep, hidden lake itself is quite pretty also.

Leej

Glacier National Park
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 03:06:52 pm »

Thanks Gentlemen - I'll burn off your responses and use them as a guide.
Jim

jamesdak

Glacier National Park
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 08:42:29 pm »

I just remembered something, there is a forum of glacier frequented by a lot of local folks.  They can answer any guestion you have even as to what the actual weather and park conditions are like on any given day.  The were immensely helpful on my last visit there.  Here's the link:

http://www.glacier.national-park.com/wwwboard/glacchat.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up