Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Everglades in Feb?  (Read 1599 times)

stever

Everglades in Feb?
« on: October 02, 2010, 12:27:34 am »

going to Crystal Springs in Feb for the Manatees.  What else should i plan on doing as long as i'm there?

Mark F

Re: Everglades in Feb?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 12:45:54 am »

In addition to landscapes, if you're interested in bird photography the Everglades can be wonderful. Or not, depending on the year. About 4 years ago there were so many herons, egrets, anhingas, purple gallinules, double-crested cormorants, etc on the aptly names Anhinga Trail that it was difficult to isolate a single bird unless it was a head shot. This past February the birds were unusually scarce, which I am told was due to the colder weather in Florida.  The beauty of the Anhinga Trail is that you do not need a 500mm or 600mm for good results, especially if you are not using a full frame sensor. A 400mm should do very well. And of course there are also plenty of alligators within easy photo distance and sometimes on the Trail itself.

If you're driving across Route 41 its worth taking a detour on Turner River Road (Route 839) as there are frequently various types of herons, egrets and sometimes roseate spoonbills there. And alligators too  :)   Also, if you like B&W photos its well worth stopping at Clyde Butcher's Gallery on Route 41.  He's a wonderful photographer.

Have a great time.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:48:04 am by Mark F »
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up