Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows7 & jpg files  (Read 2301 times)

walter.sk

Windows7 & jpg files
« on: October 01, 2010, 11:44:31 am »

I had Photoshop Elements and PSCS4 on my Win7 computer, as well as CS5.  I uninstalled Elements and CS4.  While clicking on a Tiff file in the Browser opens the file in CS5, clicking on a Jpeg leads to a message saying that the program it is associated with cannot be opened.  Going to the Control Panel>Default Programs, I find that Elements is listed as the "recommended" default program for .jpg files.  When I expand "Other Programs," a number of icons are displayed but not PS CS5. 

When I click on Browse, I am taken to Program Files>Adobe.  I drill down to Photoshop CS5 64 bits>Photoshop.exe, and click on "Open."  However, after what seems to be some processing of the new information, nothing happens and the default is still Photoshop Elements.

I tried a reinstall of PSCS5, but that did not change anything.

Help!

Pete Berry

Re: Windows7 & jpg files
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 12:15:39 pm »

Does the same thing happen with the right-click options - no CS5 there or operative in the "open with" selection or it's sub-dialog "choose default program"?

Pete

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 04:57:58 pm »

Does the same thing happen with the right-click options - no CS5 there or operative in the "open with" selection or it's sub-dialog "choose default program"?
Yep.  I should have mentioned that  Right clicking listed the same choices as the Open With method.  I think I will reinstall Photoshop Elements.  I have a feeling that somewhere there is still a folder with an Elements-related file in it that I haven't been able to uninstall.

Pete Berry

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 11:42:20 pm »

Yep.  I should have mentioned that  Right clicking listed the same choices as the Open With method.  I think I will reinstall Photoshop Elements.  I have a feeling that somewhere there is still a folder with an Elements-related file in it that I haven't been able to uninstall.

Have you tried to choose another default to open your JPG's - eg Windows Photo Gallery, which I use to screen my files and do quickie adjustments for family photos? If that works you would be rid of PSE as default and should be able to re-select CS4.

Pete

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 12:42:00 pm »

Well, I found a good workaround.  I set Photoshop CS5 to open jpegs in Camera Raw, and Windows to open jpegs in Firefox so I can see the ones that get emailed to me.  It seems to work well enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up