Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: >61MP image files for peepers  (Read 57997 times)

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
>61MP image files for peepers
« on: October 01, 2010, 06:41:21 am »

I thought this is worth a separate thread which may last a while.
Over the next weeks/ months we'll have more and more photographers/ reps/ reviewers buying and using the new Aptus-II 12 and Aptus-II 12R backs.
I know there are many people here who are interested in seeing what this new product is capable of and do not have an easy or immediate access to it. Some simply like or need to see what the current top-end sensor/ back/ lens technology can deliver as they consider it over a competitive product (for example a multi-shot camera)

The idea is to provide raw files, however at this point in time the software required for opening them is not published yet, so initially we will have to do with full size processed images

Here's a couple available for download:

http://bit.ly/aaCMbZ

Enjoy, yair
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 08:17:26 am by yaya »
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

tho_mas

Re: >61MP image files for peepers
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 06:59:32 am »

Hi Yair,

thanks for providing the file!

2 questions:
- is it a hand held or tripod shot?
- is it the 80D, or the 80LS lens?

BTW: apparently it's a 61MB file...

MartinWidmann

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 07:03:57 am »

Unfortunately, the link is not valid any more. Could you upload it somewhere else?

Martin
Martin Widmann
Employed by Sinar Photography AG / Switzerland, however the opinions I express are my own.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 07:12:06 am »

Hi, Yair...

Was this post processed, or just default sharpening?

I notice that there are black pixels adjacent to the white pixels, left end of hand rail, center of picture.

It seems that the back does not out-resolve the lens.

Dick
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

yaya

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 08:19:28 am »

Hi, Yair...

Was this post processed, or just default sharpening?

I notice that there are black pixels adjacent to the white pixels, left end of hand rail, center of picture.

It seems that the back does not out-resolve the lens.

Dick

Hi Dick, it was processed using Product presets in Leaf Capture, no post processing done to it

Modified the link above and added another file there

Yair

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 10:35:52 am »

Thanks for posting, Yair.

All, I purchased a 5GB/48hr download rights to the site where the files are hosted, but obviously won't be able to use all the capacity in that time.  You are welcome to use my code to access these files for as long as it remains valid.

Download access code: FF48HPP116226885
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

yaya

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 11:22:48 am »

Thanks for posting, Yair.

All, I purchased a 5GB/48hr download rights to the site where the files are hosted, but obviously won't be able to use all the capacity in that time.  You are welcome to use my code to access these files for as long as it remains valid.

Download access code: FF48HPP116226885

All 3 files (full size) are on my iDisk now:
files.me.com/yshahar/sit38e
files.me.com/yshahar/ppeag6
files.me.com/yshahar/upmus9

Sorry for the inconvenience

Yair

ctz

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 01:37:55 pm »

stunning.

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 02:03:06 pm »

stunning.

Sorry. I have to post this...

For A12__000041, 100% 1/3 from the bottom where the people are on the green. The sensor seems to have an issue resolving the people and the grass separately. There is a person kicking a ball around who's face looks like the Hulk. Also the large woman in the foreground facing the camera has black spots all over her. Maybe this is normal, but I haven't seen this anywhere before. However, the image of the fabrics looks really great.

I might be too critical. "Stunning" would be the last thing I think of. 80 iso should be better.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:05:14 pm by JonathanBenoit »

tho_mas

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 02:17:29 pm »

For A12__000041, 100% 1/3 from the bottom where the people are on the green. The sensor seems to have an issue resolving the people and the grass separately. There is a person kicking a ball around who's face looks like the Hulk. Also the large woman in the foreground facing the camera has black spots all over her. Maybe this is normal, but I haven't seen this anywhere before. However, the image of the fabrics looks really great.

I might be too critical. "Stunning" would be the last thing I think of. 80 iso should be better.
aren't these typical things that get sorted out in a final release? I guess it's firmware version 0.9 and just a beta of the raw software. All the images also show a line on the top image border... so I'm sure this is not the final version.

yaya

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 02:41:23 pm »

Jonathan, she's also out-of-focus and her "face" is at about -2.5 EV from midtones so yes I think you're being too critical:-)

I guess you have not seen this before 'cause you have not seen so much detail before at this size...I think I can see a bold eagle inside the net cage at the Zoo on the Right

Focus is on the people+trees (not on infinity) at the centre of the frame and at f10 with a standard lens I think the broad DOF is also quite good.

Yair

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 03:34:17 pm »

Jonathan, she's also out-of-focus and her "face" is at about -2.5 EV from midtones so yes I think you're being too critical:-)

I guess you have not seen this before 'cause you have not seen so much detail before at this size...I think I can see a bold eagle inside the net cage at the Zoo on the Right

Focus is on the people+trees (not on infinity) at the centre of the frame and at f10 with a standard lens I think the broad DOF is also quite good.

Yair

Yair,
The relationship of the sensor size to it's resolution is too far apart. I don't know where the limit was for this sensor's dimensions, but it seems like it was around 60mp. Maybe if there was a more accurate algorithm for interpolating the pixels it would be a different story.

I have no data to support what I am saying. It's just what my eye is telling me. Grass shouldn't be on someones face unless its really on their face.

Mr. Rib

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 07:20:14 pm »

The fabrics shot looks great. I find it hard to describe the rest.. to be honest, 100% crop from P45+ looks in my opinion better. Better is of course a highly subjective term and I'm using it on purpose- maybe there is some extra pixel count, maybe there are some details which you wouldn't normally see, but come on, in general the whole image is rippled/smudged! It gives me a terrible, plastic feeling about the whole image and I'd rather scan transparents than have a digital back producing something like that. Maybe it's the defaults with which the image was processed.. I know that I like a file from P45+ with defaults than this. Maybe studio / artificial light will do this sensor justice, maybe its the lenses (I don't have experience with DF and new lenses lineup).. something is definitely wrong in my opinion. Again- subjective opinion.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 07:25:08 pm »

Actually there are black spots everywhere not just on the big ladies face, but it didn't concern me as I expect they'll get that sorted out with final versions of firmware and software. Overall these look very promising to me.  Probably the reason why the fabric image looked great comparatively was that it was shot with the Rodenstock 90mm APO which is a stunning lens and in studio with controlled light etc.   

Yair
Thanks for sharing these images.
Eric
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:27:37 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 09:32:51 pm »

i think the files look very very impressive, apart from some conversion errors as these dots which i cant imagine to be  a problem
to be fixed in later sw versions.  resolution, color definition, sharpness and SIZE are really impressive i.m.o.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

bcooter

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 09:44:30 pm »

i think the files look very very impressive, apart from some conversion errors as these dots which i cant imagine to be  a problem
to be fixed in later sw versions.  resolution, color definition, sharpness and SIZE are really impressive i.m.o.

I think before anyone can judge those files, they need more refinement either in processing or software.

BC
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 03:20:51 am by bcooter »

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 06:01:24 am »

Hi Dick, it was processed using Product presets in Leaf Capture, no post processing done to it

Modified the link above and added another file there

Yair

Looks like pretty heavy sharpening to me.

tho_mas

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 06:20:43 am »

I think before anyone can judge those files, they need more refinement either in processing or software.
obviously there will be some refinement but at least they already show that a decent standard lens won't have problems to resolve high enough edge to edge...
The city park scene is a handheld shot (I've seen it already at Photokina and Yair told me so) ... which I am finding quite impressive therefore.
Whether the river scene is a handheld or tripod shot, I don't know... I guess it is handheld, too.
So for someone looking for a high rez capture device the samples are very, very promising, IMO, ... in particular the fabrics shot, naturally.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 06:26:06 am by tho_mas »

ced

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 09:17:31 am »

Seeing as you are pixel peeping the guy kicking the football has his face made up of 1.5 mm or less from the total width of the image which is 870 mm...
I can't see a trannie or neg then being scanned etc giving anything better.
The big woman in the foreground occupies 21 mm of the 870 and is out of focus and is somewhere in the 3/4 tone area of the image and it has been slightly over sharpened.
I think in the greater scheme of things, I guess hand held, 80mm lens maybe not the best lens out there and the 2 elements you referred to Jonathan the result is quite impressive just the same. :-*

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 09:48:36 am »

...image and it has been slightly over sharpened.
I think Yair said the the images were un-sharpened, or "default".

I would hope that there are options to sharpen less, for example for portraiture... perhaps there is a default  (but customizable) level of sharpening for portraiture and another for landscape... but pros and advanced amateurs like to have options,,, and be in control.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up