Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RC inkjet paper, preferably satin, without any fluorescent?  (Read 2264 times)

Ernst Dinkla

RC inkjet paper, preferably satin, without any fluorescent?
« on: September 30, 2010, 04:13:08 am »

I have yet to see a quality like that. To be more precise all the RC inkjet paper I have seen and measured show FBA content. Anyone with another experience who can give the information where I can get that kind of RC, FBA free, satin inkjet paper? If possible with a high white reflectance, the white of Canson Rag Photographique or Moab Entrada Naturel with RC layers?

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

spectral plots of +100 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Sven W

Re: RC inkjet paper, preferably satin, without any fluorescent?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 06:27:43 am »

Not semigloss coated cotton rag, like Canson Platine Fibre or Crane Silver Rag?
FBA free RC.......never seen or heard.

A curiosity; I have an ongoing RL-test in my studiowindow with four different papertypes:
RC, Cotton Rag, Fiber and a common alpha-cell matte paper. Only the cotton is without FBA.
After six months in daylight, which do you think has the least colorshifts in paperwhite?

PS. I have the Lab-figures.
/Sven
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:30:11 am by Sven W »
Stockholm, Sweden

Randy Carone

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:20:05 am »

I'll guess RC, which offers the best protection from environmental contaminants that can effect paper as much as UV rays.
Randy Carone

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:04:24 am »

The request wasn't made to initiate a discussion on FBA content, RC papers, etc. I'm well aware of the different qualities, their cons and pros, Aardenburg Imaging's paper white shift results, etc. The question is: RC inkjet papers, preferably satin surface, without fluorescents aboard, exist or not?

spectral plots of +100 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

MHMG

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:03:08 am »

Ernst,

I replied to your cross-post in the wide-format Users group on Yahoo. I will cross-post here on LL for those who might be interested:

Hi Ernst,

As you probably know, RC paper was invented for the photofinishing industry. The PE layers sandwich the paper core to keep the water out during processing, thus enabling quick dry times. Given this heritage, inkjet RC coating formulators  essentially tap into the large market for the precoated RC base and merely apply the inkjet receptor coating after the fact. They don't produce the whole product from scratch. Therefore, I'd be very surprised if you manage to identify any RC paper that doesn't contain a lot of OBA in the paper core, but you will find some that have no additional OBAs added to the microporous inkjet coating. I'd check the RC proofing papers intended for use by the printing industry. For example, I have a small sample of Canon Commercial RC proofing paper. It has no OBAs in the receiver coat, but typical amount in paper core. With no OBA in the coating (but possibly some tinting colorant) this paper has a very nice satiny-matt finish and is on the slightly warm side of neutral. I measured the 10 mil version of the paper at L*= 97.6, a*=-0.1, b*= 2.2 with my Spectrolino using a white matt board backing. It is available also in 8 mil thickness.  I think this paper and others like it may be ideal as a "proofing paper" for photographers who like to print on OBA-free "traditional fiber" inkjet papers where the b* value will be about 2 as well (e.g. Museo silver rag, Hn photo rag baryta). Could save some dollars when running out those "first print" tests.

kind regards,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 10:45:51 am »

Thank you Mark.

As written on the yahoo list I will check the Proofing RC papers, good suggestion.

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Vivec

• http://www.daanvisuals.com
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 11:50:22 am »

Hi Steve -- I am quite curious about how your prints look in your 'real world' test.

Sven W

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 05:29:50 pm »

Hi Steve -- I am quite curious about how your prints look in your 'real world' test.

I'll publish the Lab-values, as a new subject, when I come to my studio tomorrow. It's midnight here now.

/Sven (not Steve)
Stockholm, Sweden
Pages: [1]   Go Up