Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you think  (Read 2052 times)

armand

• Photos
What do you think
« on: September 29, 2010, 11:47:28 pm »

In my recent travel I shot a lot, with few good results. However, there some pictures which I think have some potential so I wanted to see what you think about it.
I'll start with 4 shots around Mt Washington.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: What do you think
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 02:49:49 am »

A few comments that maybe help you figure out what to do with these pictures. Since I wasn't there and don't know your intentions with the pictures pls. take them with a grain of salt:

1: Don't know what the subject is. If it's the sky I've seen much nicer and dramatic ones and if it's the mountain in the foreground you need to do more to bring out some details there, and balance it more against the sky.

2: Best of the set, you might try to experiment a little with an elongated aspect ration and the overall luminosity of the image to get exactly the right mood you want to portrait

3: One I don't get, looks more like a failed snapshot as it lacks context and connection between the two hikers, while also framing is far from optimal for a pleasant viewing experience

4: A classic, albeit it lacks some context as you cannot see where the person is looking at. If you wanted to picture an "empty gaze" you succeeded however. Would have aimed the shot a bit higher, or might crop a little from the foreground as not much interesting is to be seen there.

Hope this helps
pieter, aka pegelli

tokengirl

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 05:52:11 pm »

A few comments that maybe help you figure out what to do with these pictures. Since I wasn't there and don't know your intentions with the pictures pls. take them with a grain of salt:

1: Don't know what the subject is. If it's the sky I've seen much nicer and dramatic ones and if it's the mountain in the foreground you need to do more to bring out some details there, and balance it more against the sky.

2: Best of the set, you might try to experiment a little with an elongated aspect ration and the overall luminosity of the image to get exactly the right mood you want to portrait

3: One I don't get, looks more like a failed snapshot as it lacks context and connection between the two hikers, while also framing is far from optimal for a pleasant viewing experience

4: A classic, albeit it lacks some context as you cannot see where the person is looking at. If you wanted to picture an "empty gaze" you succeeded however. Would have aimed the shot a bit higher, or might crop a little from the foreground as not much interesting is to be seen there.

Hope this helps

That pretty much nails it for me.  I see #2 as having a lot of potential with the right post processing.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 10:49:44 pm »

Thanks. The first one I liked because of the color of the 2 clouds is opposite and simple, white vs dark-blue. I left the foreground only as a third element for balance.
The third picture probably means much more to me than to somebody independent and I failed to capture it; those 2 people were actually running towards the car because of the very powerful and freezing wind, I just got the shot when they were too far apart.
On the 4 I have to work a lot, as there is also a rainbow under those clouds. I tried some cropping but it just didn't feel right. I'll try more.

I see #2 as having a lot of potential with the right post processing.
Can you elaborate? I admit I did very little post-processing, the white balance and that's about it. Enlarged it has a nice grain in it secondary to the heavy rain/fog.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 04:02:07 am »

I agree.

The fourth, I'm afraid, gave me the immediate impression that he was about to empty (or in the process of emptying) his bladder. Maybe that says something about the way my mind works but it certainly didn't enhance my enjoyment of the shot!

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 04:15:32 am »

I agree.

The fourth, I'm afraid, gave me the immediate impression that he was about to empty (or in the process of emptying) his bladder. Maybe that says something about the way my mind works but it certainly didn't enhance my enjoyment of the shot!

Jeremy

Now that is worthwhile criticism; exactly the rare, objective type of subjective opinion that I think is absolutely valid. And the reason it works for me is that it represents first impressions, which are generally the truth, the reality of what's there before the mind starts to make excuses and suggest things exist that do, if at all, solely in that mind.

Shot to kill, Jeremy, more power to your bow.

Rob C

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 09:43:10 am »

That is interesting however not exactly accurate as the subject in the fourth is a female.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 10:33:59 am »

In in spite of flaws that others have pointed out, the one that resonates for me most is #3.
When I first looked at it, it reminded me so much of being at the top of Mount Washington, where you are often fighting the wind just to stand up. Thus it functions as an effective memory jog for one who has been on that mountain a few times, but the poses probably just look awkward to viewers who haven't been there.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 01:52:42 pm »

That is interesting however not exactly accurate as the subject in the fourth is a female.
Damn. My apologies to her (whether her bladder was full at the time or not and whatever she was about to do).

Jeremy

armand

• Photos
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 10:22:28 pm »

That's fine, I actually find it funny  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up