Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LLU on its way out  (Read 6056 times)

pmarv

LLU on its way out
« on: September 29, 2010, 11:16:49 am »

the site in its new form is become an promotion site. Onehalf of the page content is advertising. little content other than phase one etc promotion. PDN had better content on Photokema.
It appears that as MR said that nothing is foever and in some cases it is a good thing. LLu like health care in amercia has taken a turn for the worse. Like ball players LLU should admit its time has come.

pm

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Re: LLU on its way out
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 11:34:26 am »

Couldn't disagree more.  It's easy to ignore a couple of reasonably small ads for B&H and ML's videos and go to the "What's New" page, where there have been some great articles lately.

It seems a mite odd that your very first post here is one saying you're leaving...?  Smacks of trollishness...

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 11:49:16 am »

Nobody asks you to come here (even less after your first post ;))

I still find lots of mighty good content here for free. As a counter gesture I don't mind watching some adds, which are most of the time for relevant and worthwhile produtcs anyway.
pieter, aka pegelli

stamper

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 11:56:36 am »

the site in its new form is become an promotion site. Onehalf of the page content is advertising. little content other than phase one etc promotion. PDN had better content on Photokema.
It appears that as MR said that nothing is foever and in some cases it is a good thing. LLu like health care in amercia has taken a turn for the worse. Like ball players LLU should admit its time has come.

pm

I think the regulars can make up their own mind as to the veracity of your views.  ::) :( ;D

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 12:18:45 pm »

If you count by screen estate, one half being advertising is probably right. Even some of the articles are thinly veiled ads for books, workshops, or rehashes of press releases. Also, the articles have become thinner and more superficial; the meaty articles like what Alain Briot used to write are gone. Gear reviews are still excellent.

But if you look at any other photography site or blog, it's pretty much the same story, usually worse.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 12:20:45 pm »

<°)))o><

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 12:36:35 pm »

Bye.
--
Robert

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 02:48:21 pm »

I think the regulars can make up their own mind as to the veracity of your views.  ::) :( ;D
I have made up my own mind. Even if Michael raises the membership fee by 200%, I'll still come back!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 02:55:21 pm »

I won't comment on OP's intentions or typing and spelling skills, nor this site really needs to defend itself against comments of this kind, but one thing we do need to keep in mind: the speed of change in digital photography has slowed down as of recently, and with that, the speed of new discoveries by experts (e.g., expose-to-the-right). In other words, there is simply less significant stuff to write about. The law of diminishing returns.

The changes are incremental and evolutionary (Canon 60D?... yawn). At the same time, the amount of accumulated knowledge among the masses has grown and is more widespread than ever. It is like telling jokes among old friends: all you need is to start a joke, and everybody is already laughing.

And lastly, like any novelty, it ultimately wears off. The digital part of photography, that is. The initial infatuation is mostly gone, and we are back to our old love, photography. And like with most long-married couples, there isn't much to talk about (though the deep mutual understanding is still very much there).

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 03:13:32 pm »

See ya....

What a way to enter and exit a forum. Forget about getting any real advise following that one...

fredjeang

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 03:25:34 pm »

I won't comment on OP's intentions or typing and spelling skills, nor this site really needs to defend itself against comments of this kind, but one thing we do need to keep in mind: the speed of change in digital photography has slowed down as of recently, and with that, the speed of new discoveries by experts (e.g., expose-to-the-right). In other words, there is simply less significant stuff to write about. The law of diminishing returns.

The changes are incremental and evolutionary (Canon 60D?... yawn). At the same time, the amount of accumulated knowledge among the masses has grown and is more widespread than ever. It is like telling jokes among old friends: all you need is to start a joke, and everybody is already laughing.

I very much agree with this idea.

In fact, I think that Mr Reichmann was one of the very first in the world who introduced the concept many years ago of combocams (stills+videos).
This is an evolution that is going to grow and get more and more importance.
I can't imagine that "Michael's baby" will not show-up soon or later here.

And Lu-La has an important new card to play there, specially because they could combine the knowledge of Michael and friends and Chris on video. They have the crew for that.

I think that there will be very soon a big demand for "Final-Cute" style tutorials, probably even workshops where video will be part of the training and not just stills, because that is going to merge more and more.
I asked for such a video tutorial not a long time ago, they told me that for the moment it is not going to happen, but this is certainly a thing they should consider really now. Being the first is always good.

The days will see a lightroom (sorry, I don't say C1 because Phase will not likely to go video soon) with video edition capabilities in a sort of integrated simplified Premiere are not far.

And you know, that will be fun, they will enjoy doing it, and they could be pionners. No one does that so far (in a photographic website)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 03:31:44 pm by fredjeang »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 03:26:04 pm »

LLU should admit its time has come.

Lol...(as in laughing out loud). Not only does this butthead screw up Luminous Landscape's informal short name (it's LuLa dummy) he actually screws up his comment as well...did you really mean "LLU should admit its time has come" or that LuLa's time has gone? Or that's it has come and gone?

Really, I'm just trying to get things straight...I wanna know if I'm coming or going...course, it's a bit foolish to be asking the OP since he doesn't know either.

This was good for a short laugh, very short.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 04:30:06 pm »

Trouble is, the title of the thread damn near gave me my third heart event.

Yes, I would also be perfectly happy to pay for the privilege of staying tuned in, should that become necessary.

Rob C

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 06:09:03 pm »

It appears that as MR said that nothing is foever and in some cases it is a good thing. LLu like health care in amercia has taken a turn for the worse.

I would personally think that health care in amercia is turning for the better. amercia (its citizens insist on writting the name without a capital letter to express their modesty) is little known but is a great place by the way.

As far as your comments on this site come, I mean go, I would agree that the average quality of the articles has indeed been decreasing.

Cheers,
Bernard

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 06:19:00 pm »

As far as your comments on this site come, I mean go, I would agree that the average quality of the articles has indeed been decreasing.

Perhaps it's time for you to write another one to get the quality back up ;)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 07:06:56 pm »

Perhaps it's time for you to write another one to get the quality back up ;)

Hum... I was more concerned about having contributed to the decline... should I worsen things further?  ???

Cheers,
Bernard

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 01:29:03 am »

Lol...(as in laughing out loud). Not only does this butthead screw up Luminous Landscape's informal short name (it's LuLa dummy) he actually screws up his comment as well...did you really mean "LLU should admit its time has come" or that LuLa's time has gone? Or that's it has come and gone?

Really, I'm just trying to get things straight...I wanna know if I'm coming or going...course, it's a bit foolish to be asking the OP since he doesn't know either.

This was good for a short laugh, very short.

Jeff, I would definitely say you're going...to Hawaii by the look of your shirts.  Then again, since I'm in Hawaii, I guess you're coming, er, well...never mind.  :-)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 10:32:34 am »

Such impressive spelling and grammar!

michael

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 04:59:46 pm »

After being on the road all week, I just read this bit of rubbish.

All I'll say is that it's been some 11 months since the last time that I reported on anything to do with Phase One, so I have now idea what you're referring to. And, if there's another site on the web that publishes more varied material on the art, craft, technology and techniques of photography as frequently as we do I'd sure like to know about it.

But, if you don't like what we do here I'll be pleased to offer a full refund of you admission fee.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up