Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Phase Camera Body, Back and Programs in the Works...  (Read 30700 times)

pcunite

Re: New Phase Camera Body, Back and Programs in the Works...
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2010, 09:38:02 am »

A real name requirement is a good thing, but not without getting something back. Internet searching and a photographer's name are one and the same. I was just expressing my ideas aloud, it would probably never work, not without a huge grassroots effort.

I was just checking out the PODAS website, I thought it was funny how they always show themselves next to the camera, holding the camera, pictures of the camera. That is the new culture... defined by gear. At first I thought this was all about quality, but after looking at PODAS, I realize it is about money, and those who can spend it on veblen without thought to their business. I have always avoided MFD because of the workflow and cost. Others are buying for that very reason alone.

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2010, 11:57:56 am »

I was just checking out the PODAS website, I thought it was funny how they always show themselves next to the camera, holding the camera, pictures of the camera. That is the new culture... defined by gear.

Hmm...  Did you found it funny, or threatening perhaps?

Rephrasing what Rob and others have said, there's really only one way to have a forum without any disagreement or conflict--and that's a forum of one.

I guess I'm not clear why it bothers *you* if a some group of people choose to show off their gear.  Who cares if the PODAS photographers photographed themselves naked in a bathtub, writhing, covered in their own gear, slathered in oil??  (Ok, truth be told, that probably would be rather unsettling, but that's a whole 'nother discussion :) -- apologies to everyone for that visual...)

If that's not what you're about, I would humbly suggest moving on--to be blunt, if you don't like gear discussions, don't participate in gear discussions!!  I hope you are not suggestiong that there aren't any other discussions going on--there are many, many illuminating conversations on a huge variety of topics, it's not all just about "gear".  

There is some irony in the statement I am about to make, but I'll make it anyway: The idea that everyone else I interact with should agree with my world-view is, to my mind, all too prevalent these days.  Why not welcome other perspectives, and on those viewpoints you disagree with, give them as much airtime as you feel they are due (maybe none, maybe some), and move on, possibly enlightened, certainly informed, but hopefully without the feeling that there is a need to have those other perspectives segregated or suppressed.  

I just don't think you're going to succeed at filtering out the rest of the world's opinions, unless it's not really a community you're after.

Just my 0.02,
-Brad
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:06:32 pm by bradleygibson »
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2010, 02:43:33 pm »

...why on earth would I?

Obviously it would depend on who you are and how much a factor you feel "the gear" has in the value of the final result.  Without placing a high factor on this it's hard to imagine why one would be concerned with what PODAS (or any other group of) shooters are using.  ...Unless one wished to emulate them, of course.

Thankfully we are all different.

Agreed.  Precisely my point.
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

Nick-T

« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2010, 03:41:48 pm »

- I've received a grand total of two less than positive messages/emails and have suffered virtually no on list abuse -

Your mother smells like elderberries.

[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2010, 05:10:52 pm »

Who cares if the PODAS photographers photographed themselves naked in a bathtub, writhing, covered in their own gear, slathered in oil??  (Ok, truth be told, that probably would be rather unsettling, but that's a whole 'nother discussion :) -- apologies to everyone for that visual...)

Not sure I can ever forgive you for that...

ondebanks

« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2010, 07:31:37 am »

A few comments on the philosophical twists this thread has taken...

1. Pcunite's unhappiness with the current forum membership: I've already had to point out the other day that this part of LuLa is not reserved for "professionals". I and someone else similarly had to point out that those who have not yet used MF (film or DB) are welcome to post as well. And I am not aware of any real "haters" here.

2. Pcunite's call for a special place in cyberspace for him and his ilk: no problems here. I don't care what other people want to do with themselves. But do it someplace else. I want LuLa MF to stay welcoming to amateurs, the technically inclined, people who don't have personal websites, and so on.

3. Full names: would be a good idea. I go by my full name on photo.net for example.

4. Fredjeang's disapproval of too much 'tech talk', insistence that any camera will do, need to focus only on the "creativity": sometimes the tech really does matter to the images produced. Creativity gets you nowhere when, for example, you're photographing in such low light that the readnoise is killing you even before the darknoise does (that's often my problem). Then it's all about how the best tech can serve your needs. We have to talk about these material things, not sweep them under the abstract carpet of "creativity", "vision", "talent", and "client focus".

5. When did the Luminous *Landscape* become the Luminous *Model Studio* or the Luminous *Advertising Agency*? OK it didn't but it often feels like it did. Now I have 100% tolerance for other people's viewpoints, interests and careers - so I really do want to see this type of area continue to be exhibited and discussed on LuLa. No exclusions, no censorship, respect for all - see points 1 & 2 above.
I just think that our discussions would be better if everyone remembered that not everything in MF/MFD is about the particular applications of fashion and advertising. There wouldn't be that frequent harping about creativity, and denigration of the tech aspects. I can understand that if your job is to shoot the one trillionth image of "woman wearing nice clothes", you do need that creativity to make your work stand out. But it is not a universal requirement. Mother Nature, god bless her, provides all the creativity one needs in landscape photography or astrophotography. Then it's about equipment (yes, the tech), preparation, dedication and opportunity, and some vision. But not creativity in the sense of moving lights, people and furniture around, manipulating props and makeup and hairstyling and paint and animal handlers and... What appeals to me is just moving oneself around and leaving nature be herself. That's what I do, that's what I think a lot of us here do...so just keep it in mind that there's a lot of different photography going on and statements of sector-specific dogma are not appropriate.

Ray

fredjeang

« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2010, 03:47:58 pm »

Ray, you have a great sense of humour and that's nice. No, the Luminous Landscape is not going to be tomorrow the Vogue Alley...and thank god it won't.
I'm for pluralism and avoiding getthos.

As you said, the key is "respect for all". I completly agree with that.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:11:54 am by fredjeang »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up