Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MoodyMorning  (Read 1159 times)

Dale Villeponteaux

MoodyMorning
« on: September 28, 2010, 08:09:55 am »

Like the mood in this one, but it isn't a keeper.  Suggestions?
Thanks,
Dale
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: MoodyMorning
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:21:13 am »

I can see why you like it.
Maybe crop a little from the bottom and slightly brighten the left with a gradient.
Don't know if it would make a keeper for you, but that's what I would do to this one if I had taken it.
pieter, aka pegelli

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 12:01:57 pm »

Dale, I like the mood too, and except for the crop I agree with Pieter. The tones in the left part of the picture seem just a tad too low, but I emphasize "seem" because even on a calibrated monitor it's not possible to tell. I'd have to see a fair-sized print to be sure.

But whether or not it's a keeper depends on what you intended when you made the shot. Does the picture capture what you were after? What did you intend to do with it after you took it off the camera? Were you going to frame it and hang it? If I'd made that shot, and if it were a picture of a favorite place, I'd have planned to hang it where I could catch it as I passed by during the day. It'd have been a keeper. But if it were just something I'd knocked off in passing because it seemed pretty, I'd probably dump it, since the world's full of equally pretty places and my walls already are too full of pictures.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 08:21:58 am »

I am grateful for the time you both took to think about this picture.  Particularly appreciate Russ's comments about what a keeper is.  Since it is my backyard, I'll probably keep it my hard drive.
Dale

John R

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 08:01:46 am »

I notice that your larger version (file download) has by far much more dynamic range and includes some golden light that is not visible on your posted image. It is not a bad image per se, the problem is with the excessive contrast- the inability of the sensor to capture the whole range of light as you saw it. To improve your options, you will have to learn the language of how light translates into an image. This was the case with film also. What can the film handle? What contrast can the sensor in digital handle? If you waited (assuming you could) for a more diffuse light, like light through cloud or from a horizon sun, then you would have a more even light with variances throughout the image that the sensor can better register. Less contrasty light.

Is this more what you had in mind? All I did was to crop within the bounds of where most of the light was (to place the range of light within well lit areas) and to lighten the shadows. This is only meant to give you an idea of what can be done when the contrast levels are not so high. Not to confuse you, but such advice does not hold if your aim is precisely to depict high contrast!

JMR

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 05:49:27 am »

To JMR, appreciate your critique.  I did know the dynamic range was too high, but it was morning and the light getting worse. In fact, my title for this picture is Burned High Lights.  Maybe one day I'll catch the right light (I only need to step out my back door).  Though your crop well demonstrates your point about sensor range, it does portray a different mood than the one I was attempting to capture.  Oh well, I learned something from both taking the exposure and from the critiques.  However, the take-home lesson for me is that there is no substitute for getting it right in the camera.  Photoshop won't make a bad shot good.

Again, thanks for you time and thought
Dale

By the way, also posting a snapshot where burned highlights almost work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up