Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Untitled (Backlit man in chair)  (Read 8407 times)

Rob C

Re: Untitled (Backlit man in chair)
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 05:52:10 pm »

So there you are, Jenn; from my point of view, up on the crest of another depresion, what I believe you should take from this is as follows:

a. no 'art' group can ever agree on anything;

b. your work stands perfectly well on its own feet;

c. all you give me the impression of requiring is greater faith in your own vision, not anything I deduce from your work but from your posts in this slot.

Fly with it, girl - you know you can do it because you already are.

Rob C

michswiss

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 11:33:00 pm »

I think I can graduate to the "Motivation" thread now.   ;)

Rob C

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2010, 04:07:48 am »

I think I can graduate to the "Motivation" thread now.   ;)

Me too: can't remember the last time a girl winked at me!

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2010, 01:42:43 pm »

Listening to other people's reaction to your work can help you understand and develop your own vision, provided you don't take the comments as "truth."

Eric
That's exactly how I feel. I post my attempts at "art" here because I am interested in what others, many of whom I would regard as true artists, think of them. Sometimes I have been vaguely unhappy about an image without really knowing why and the comments I receive help me to understand why. I then stand a better chance of getting it right (or at least closer to right) next time. I don't necessarily agree with the comments people make, good or bad, but I'm still interested to hear them. A good example was Alain Briot's comments on a photo I posted here some time ago: see post 14 here (actually, the whole thread strikes me, on re-reading, as a good example of a helpful discussion).

I read reviews of concerts and TV programmes as well, if they're well-written and interesting. I don't necessarily agree with them either. Save for the extremes, there really isn't any "right" or "wrong" to a view. De gustibus non est disputandum is as true today as it was when originally noted.

I looked at the shot which prompted this discussion when it first appeared. It's not the type of shot which really interests me (I prefer the non-human animal). I liked it and mused on whether cropping off the left would do more than merely altering it but decided I'd just keep quiet. I'm rather glad I did.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 01:50:58 pm by kikashi »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up