Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Precision GPS or geotagging devices for either Canon or Nikon DSLRs?  (Read 4245 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

Anyone have any positive or negative recommendations for such a device? It needs to be precise

elf

Re: Precision GPS or geotagging devices for either Canon or Nikon DSLRs?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 12:56:45 am »

You need to specify what you mean by precise.  GPS is capable of resolving 2 centimeters, but more common is 10 meters.  Do you need the precision in the middle of a city or in the country?  Do you need to backpack with it or just carry it in a car or boat?

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 06:27:01 am »

Anyone have any positive or negative recommendations for such a device? It needs to be precise
Well go with Nikon, at least you can plug a gps into the camera, with Canon you need to time sync with the gps then run it through a third party program to match image and gps up. For me using Canon it just does not work well, I am usually travelling in a helicopter or light aircraft . I am sure backpacking or moving slowly it's spot on, but I have given up jumping through hoops to get this to work accurately, I could spend a fortune on a wifi unit to plug into the camera  that will then take a gps. But I don't know how well it works, it's bulky and I use three cameras. I don't mind buying three gps units, but three wifi units is over the top.
My iPhone can shoot and tag an image, my Wife's point and shoot can tag as well, but not a top of the line Canon, pretty poor of Canon I think. My old Kodak SLR/n could link directly to a gps.
I would have to say don't go Canon if you want gps.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:38:39 am »

You need to specify what you mean by precise.  GPS is capable of resolving 2 centimeters, but more common is 10 meters.  Do you need the precision in the middle of a city or in the country?  Do you need to backpack with it or just carry it in a car or boat?

In the city, i the neighborhood of 1 meter precision

AFairley

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 07:49:49 pm »

Suburban sprawl or urban canyons? If the latter, you will likely have some problems with the signals boucing around off the buildings giving false position readings (google GPS multipath)-- I presume the more expensive the unit, the better correction for that will be, but I am not an expert. 

daws

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 02:41:37 am »

Expectations for the accuracy of today's consumer-grade GPS are realistically 3 to 5 meters; the lower range is more often achieved by WAAS-enabled receivers in open terrain.

For reliable 1-meter accuracy, especially in a city environment, DGPS-enabled receivers typically are necessary. (Search on "Differential GPS.")
Pages: [1]   Go Up