Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup  (Read 2232 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Backup
« on: September 27, 2010, 02:33:25 pm »

Please critique my backup setup - no need to treat it (or me) gently :)

After years of procrastinating I have finally a backup setup of my photographs, personal files and music with multiple levels of redundancy:
  • Nightly backups to local HDDs which are up 24/7 with SyncBack Pro. Backup is incremental, wipes and starts a new one every week.
  • Weekly backup to an offline external USB HDD. Simple backup, adds new files to backup, deletes files deleted from the originating HDD after 90 days. This is to ensure inadvertent deletes not noticed immediately can be recovered up to 3 months later.
  • Monthly backup to an offline, offsite HDD. This is to recover from water damage, fire, theft, etc. Full mirror of appropriate folders. I keep it in a drawer at the office.
  • Constant offline, offsite backups via Mozy. Mainly for peace of mind and added redundancy. Although they offer unlimited storage, they purge deleted files after just 30 days

One thing I don't have is a daily mirror of C-drive to ensure I could be up and running within minutes of a dead C-drive. Anyone have recommendations for this?

Anything I've missed or should consider?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 07:57:07 pm by feppe »

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Backup
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 03:40:29 pm »

feppe, I think this subject would better fit the "Computers & Peripherals" topic, rather than "The art of Photography - User Critiques" (allthough some would consider back-up technology a black art  ::)
pieter, aka pegelli

feppe

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 05:19:00 pm »

feppe, I think this subject would better fit the "Computers & Peripherals" topic, rather than "The art of Photography - User Critiques" (allthough some would consider back-up technology a black art  ::)

*groan*

dmerger

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 06:20:50 pm »

feppe, I use MirrorFolder, http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/, on a Windows PC.  Works fine.  It will mirror boot drives and all or any portion of any other drive.  Easy to use and inexpensive. 

This topic seems to come up every so often.  You may be able to find past discussions of this topic.  Seems like there are quite a few options available.
Dean Erger

feppe

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 06:42:50 pm »

feppe, I use MirrorFolder, http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/, on a Windows PC.  Works fine.  It will mirror boot drives and all or any portion of any other drive.  Easy to use and inexpensive. 

This topic seems to come up every so often.  You may be able to find past discussions of this topic.  Seems like there are quite a few options available.

Yes, it does, and I've read and participated on many of them. This is for critiquing my setup.

Thanks, I'll take a look at MirrorFolder.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 08:55:11 pm »

Have you considered having your digital files engraved on platinum tablets and taken to the dark side of the moon to be stored in titanium vaults?

All kidding aside, I thought I was a backup fanatic but you make be look like a sane person. So, thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up