Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a ball head upside down - input needed  (Read 13624 times)

elf

Re: Using a ball head upside down - input needed
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 10:10:36 pm »

Without the spherical pano head, you will have parallax isssues.  Whether those parallax issues will matter depends on a lot of factors like print size and how much hand editing you want to do.  Panoramas also need to follow (somewhat) the composition rules for normal sized images.  Having some foreground interest is one rule that is good, but parallax is then a problem.  I think it is actually harder to shoot a panorama that is interesting than it is to shoot a single frame.

I'd recommend starting with the upside down ball head to see if it will accomplish what you need.  The next step would be to add a plate that allows you to move the camera back, so the entrance pupil is centered on the rotation point. After that, a spherical pano head and/or a leveling base could be added.  The order you add them would depend on what's limiting you.  It actually isn't as easy to get the ball head level as it seems.  I usually need several adjustments to get it perfect.  The only real cost of not having it perfectly level is you may have to add more frames to make sure you have the subject area covered (that is if you have the spherical pano head).

vandevanterSH

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 12:37:34 am »

It actually isn't as easy to get the ball head level as it seems.
It can be annoying and time consuming, that's I why I bought the RRS leveling base when it became available.  Why leveling the 75mm bowl is faster and seems more precise that trying the level my BH-55 ballhead and pano clamp, I not sure.

Steve

marcmccalmont

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 05:15:14 pm »

some times you just shoot panos hand held because your tripod isn't with you so all this pano equipment really isn't necessary if your shooting landscapes and just trying to "record the moment"

2 hand held panos that I stitched:
Marc McCalmont

LarsHansen

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 03:52:01 pm »

Steve,

well.. I've got some 20+ years old Velbon stuff I mostly leave at home due to weight. So first of all, I'm looking for a new lightweight tripod and a ball head for general purpose - and, as you write, with a budget modifier. I just wan't to add the possibility of turning it upside down because it - as you also write - makes it more versatile.
Yes, I noticed that compatibility is relative :) Thats why I'm also looking for a ball head with the option of selecting my own preferred QR clamp. I might choose to go for a rail and L bracket instead of the multi-row pan head after reading the input here. I also like to do macro, and a rail might be a good investment.   

I think shooting panos has become more interresting with the good stitching software that has become available. I started by trying it hand held and then began reading on the subject. Compared to the setup you have I guess the multi-row pano head I've considered isn't expensive, but I agree that it might end up in a box in the closet because it's not that versatile and also large to carry around.

LarsHansen

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 04:06:32 pm »

Marc - true, the extra weight isn't what I need. I've done some landscape panos hand held that ended up nice ... with some practice they will probably get better. But I would like to add some more control while shooting and the possibility to shoot using longer exposure times. I'll reconsider the multi row head after reading the recommendations posted here - but I will need a ball head for all-round purpose and if I can also use it upside down it would be fine.

Great panos  :)

marcmccalmont

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 09:07:25 pm »

Marc - true, the extra weight isn't what I need. I've done some landscape panos hand held that ended up nice ... with some practice they will probably get better. But I would like to add some more control while shooting and the possibility to shoot using longer exposure times. I'll reconsider the multi row head after reading the recommendations posted here - but I will need a ball head for all-round purpose and if I can also use it upside down it would be fine.

Great panos  :)

Keep looking on ebay for a used Linhof Profi II  I've bought 2 or 3 of these over the years for under $200 in as new condition! Not as good as a RRS BH-55 but the best on a budget!
Marc
Marc McCalmont

LarsHansen

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 08:10:25 am »

Elf,

good point regarding composition issues and parallax error. So far my motives for panos have been landscape resembling the ones Marc posted (but far from as interresting as his..). I can think of many other situations with more and closer foreground I'd like to try shooting as panos and then, as you write, I'll have to decide what to do.

I've been presented with some interresting alternatives to a spherical pano head from you and the other guys in this thread so I won't rush out and buy one now. That was also my starting point for this thread, but I admit a spherical head has been on my mind for some time as "next level". I'm often biking/hiking around in the Danish countryside so weight and size is important... lighter alternatives are welcome.

I'll see how far I can get with the ball head and for using it upside down I will need a L bracket to get my camera in portrait position.

ceyman

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 04:44:51 pm »

Take a look at this one: http://www.indurogear.com/products_catalog_PHQ-Series-PanHeads.html  I haven't seen any real reviews of it yet, but the concept looks good.

And did you see the price?  It is going for $315 at online shops!  After the budget-busting prices of some heads, it looks like a real bargain!  It comes with an Arca Swiss compatible quick release plate, which Arca Swiss wants $48 for by itself!  And 5 levels?  I'm in love.

I think I'm placing an order

Carl 

LarsHansen

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 05:42:49 am »

No doubt it's a great tool, but it's large and weigths almost 1 kg. For my need it must be smaller and lighter to carry around. Like the Linhof Profi II that Marc recommended.

/Lars
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up