Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Photokina Roundup from Hasselblad  (Read 21442 times)

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Photokina Roundup from Hasselblad
« on: September 27, 2010, 07:04:02 am »

Hi Forum,

I have decided to write a brief round up with what we announced at Photokina.  Cross posted to Getdpi.

First, new products.  (All of this is in my own words, but you can find the official

Lenses

We announced and showed the new HC50II and HC120II.  Both of these lenses have been completely redesigned optically.  The exterior dimensions are the same.

Performance on the 50 is much improved and in particular with the HTS.  Lens Correction calculations have already been made and are included in Phocus 2.6.

The HCD120II lens has an increase in resolution and an improvement in axial chromatic aberration.

Digital Products

The CFV has now been fitted with the same 50MP sensor as in the H4D.

The H3D31 has now been updated to H4D specification.  ie True Focus, Larger USER and TF buttons, brighter AF assist light.

We will also have some new firmware features for the whole H4D range...

• Electronic Spirit Level (In three Dimensions)
  • Visible preview on the back of the camera in tethered mode
  • Information on the rear LCD (Aperture, Shutter, etc etc)

Multi shot technology has been expanded to a new six shot mode which will give us a 200MP file from a 50MP sensor.

I won't add to much more on that before I get a little more R&D background so I can be specific with answers!  Suffice to say the sample images we had at Photokina were very well received. 

This will be on the H4D50MS only as an optional feature.  There will also be an option to upgrade existing models.

Software

Phocus 2.6 will include...

• Dust Removal.  Dusting on batches of images.
  • Import / Export of image adjustments to other work stations
  • Support for Phocus Mobile
  • Star rating for approval.  Additionally to the Phocus three colour system there is now a LR-esque five star system.
  • Windows support of TIFF and JPEG files.  We are looking into more solutions for third party files on this platform.

A 'Phocus Quick' solution for rapid import and export of images to produce printable JPEGs.  Windows only currently. 

The most exciting part is Phocus Mobile!!

This is an iPad and iPhone application which will remotely connect to the host computer during tethered shooting.

As the photographer shoots, preview files are immediately sent to the iPad for viewing.  Its fast!

The iPad user can pinch to zoom in a little (100% view in development), swipe to move through the image folder, rotate for landscape / horizontal view, rate photographs using the new 5 star rating - which then syncs to the host computer.

Finally there is a virtual camera interface for adjusting the camera and capturing images!  See screen grab.

Camera control can be disabled if you don't want your AD to take over the shoot.  ;)

Images can be emailed from the iPad and we are thinking about adding some link to the "Cloud".  ie Dropbox or MobileMe.

Its a very nice implementation of the iDevices and was very popular at Photokina!

Available free from the App store after it goes through Apple Certification.

For the fun stuff...

We are experimenting with some thoughts on a custom shop.  So we made a White (not black!) and a naked camera in just its steel underclothes.

Picture of the white one attached, or now fondly known as "The Storm Trooper" due to obvious reasons.

These are not available products but more to gauge if people would be interested in something other than the norm.  (Yes, I know you would like a black one. ;) )

The White one was ordered many times over, even though there is no final decision on availability.  We will have to see.

Finally we have a partnership with Ferrari which saw the release of an H4D40 in Ferrari red.  Available as a limited run.

We also had a Ferrari California on stage which we did some captures of.  Ill post some when they arrive back from Germany!

I think that is it.  It was a very busy show and I was suprised how high the visitor numbers were again.

All the best,

David

PS.  If you want to see all the detailed press releases, go here...

http://press.hasselblad.com/press-releases/press-releases-2010.aspx

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

robert zimmerman

Re: Photokina Roundup from Hasselblad
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:17:42 am »

* Electronic Spirit Level (In three Dimensions)
    * Visible preview on the back of the camera in tethered mode
    * Information on the rear LCD (Aperture, Shutter, etc etc)

the firmware features will not be for h3d owners?  ???

• Capture One
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 07:27:31 am »

* Electronic Spirit Level (In three Dimensions)
    * Visible preview on the back of the camera in tethered mode
    * Information on the rear LCD (Aperture, Shutter, etc etc)

the firmware features will not be for h3d owners?  ???

You will not benefit from the spirit level as the H3D does not have the True Focus sensor but the other features will of course apply.
David Grover

amsp

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 08:01:49 am »

BrendanStewart

• http://www.symbolphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:41:55 am »

Any upgrade path for H3DII-31 to H4D31 ?

• Capture One
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 08:53:26 am »

Any upgrade path for H3DII-31 to H4D31 ?

Hi Brendan,

Not to the 31 but to the 40.

David

David Grover

robert zimmerman

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 09:15:09 am »

Hi Brendan,

Not to the 31 but to the 40.

David

the same upgrade offer as earlier? or a new and improved, upgraded upgrade, after photokina offer?

• Capture One
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:19:27 am »

the same upgrade offer as earlier? or a new and improved, upgraded upgrade, after photokina offer?

Hi Kipling.  There were no changes to the upgrade program over Photokina.
David Grover

BrendanStewart

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 10:38:45 am »

ok talk to me... i'd love to upgrade to the H4D40 from my H3DII-31. What's the differential?

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 10:58:07 am »

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/69132.aspx

I am glad these things get communicated to prevent the sense of the secret hand-shake syndrome :)

BrendanStewart

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 11:19:00 am »

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/69132.aspx

I am glad these things get communicated to prevent the sense of the secret hand-shake syndrome :)

I was hoping to have like a 5K option. Basically according to that chart, my trade in is worth 3k. The same as if i traded in a Canon 20D or just about any other DSLR for that matter.

I know people will say, well there wasn't much margin in the H3DII-31, but if you look at it from the angle of the consumer, i just spent 10K on a camera, there is a newer version for 18K, i'd love to trade in my 10K for the difference or something close to it.

If that makes any sense.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'd just love to have some of the features in the H4D. I just can't plop down another 18K. There isn't a huge market for used H3DII-31's, so i'd take a considerable hit.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:29:22 am by BrendanStewart »

Dick Roadnight

Custom camera
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 03:29:09 pm »

Rectanguloid mirror box (square from front)
Dougnut user interface (buttons etc) with square hole, mirror box inset-able in portrait or landscape.
optional pistol grip battery, under center of Gravity of camera.
Mirror box and/or digiback can be slid into Sinar P3 lensboard, allowing use of wide angle lenses.
I can discuss this with you on the 12th.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:02:02 am by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

arashm

Re: Cuystom camera
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 06:50:57 pm »

Dougnut user interface (buttons etc) with square hole, mirror box inset-able in portrait or landscape.
Mirror box and/or digiback can be slid into Sinar P3 lensboard, allowing use of wide angle lenses.

Umm
did I miss something??
what is this?
12th of OCT?
thanks
am

• Capture One
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 03:08:11 am »

Umm
did I miss something??
what is this?
12th of OCT?
thanks
am

Its a Hasselblad UK event in London on the 12th.
David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 03:11:04 am »

Id love to know what a Doughnut interface is.  Glazed or plain? ;)

We have discussed may times internally about the need for an industrial type mirrorless camera.  In depends a lot on if we believe it will be useful across a range of industries.

However, it would certainly not be designed along side any view camera solutions.

David Grover

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 03:51:09 am »

Hi David,

As you have chosen to put yourself willingly in harm's way, I guess no question is taboo.

Now, may I ask you why Hasselblad is not providing the BLACK camera option which everyone seems to be requesting?

And please don't give us any bs about the small manufacturing run etc, etc - if you can do red, white, custom, then you can do black.

Edmund
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:54:46 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

design_freak

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 05:01:14 am »

Hi David,

As you have chosen to put yourself willingly in harm's way, I guess no question is taboo.

Now, may I ask you why Hasselblad is not providing the BLACK camera option which everyone seems to be requesting?

And please don't give us any bs about the small manufacturing run etc, etc - if you can do red, white, custom, then you can do black.

It's music to my ears :-) If you pay 5k Euro for custom color (BLACK) you are my dream customer. David we can call this version "Phantom" or "NightHawk"  ;)

Edmund
Best regards,
DF

• Capture One
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 05:13:53 am »

Hi David,

Edmund

In harm's way?  Not sure what you imply by that.

To quote myself...

"These are not available products but more to gauge if people would be interested in something other than the norm. "

So we are not saying that anything is or isn't available.

It was an experiment at Photokina to see if it could be an interesting option for different finishes and colours.  Anything is potentially possible.

Photokina was a good proving ground to ask for people's opinion.

The black H camera we have made look incredibly ordinary, so thought it better to take something a little more exciting.  ie White and Steel.

David

David Grover

BrendanStewart

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 07:50:03 am »

David,

H3DII-31 to H4D31 ? Just body upgrade? Possible?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:32:30 am by BrendanStewart »

Dick Roadnight

Re: Custom camera
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 08:09:42 am »

We have discussed may times internally about the need for an industrial type mirrorless camera.  In depends a lot on if we believe it will be useful across a range of industries.
There is considerable demand for quality Wide-Angle T/S cameras, mainly for architecture.

The best cost-effective non-retro-focus Wide-Angle lenses are too short to use on SLR's as the mirror gets in the way...

Current Hasselblad Wide-Angle lenses do not have enough image circle for T & S without a tele-converter.

Pancake cameras and Medium format digital view cameras are too much trouble for many photographers.

A Mirror-less camera would be in demand for this type of work.

A pseudo-SLR viewfinder would be great, but that is not currently possible with hi-res Medium-format digital backs...

(...but "they" could make a small-format digital back, (which would not be much use with MF-WA lenses) or the Red 645 might be an option.)

The solution might be something like a SWC with a built-in glass-free shift/tilt/focusing mount...

Even if we could not have 50 frames per second full colour live view on the digiback, live view that refreshed every second or so might be acceptable ...but not ideal for hand-held work.

The recently-announced tethered preview on the digiback might be the solution... if the digiback has this ability built-in, how small a "tethered/attached" box would be needed to provide this in a hand-held camera?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:01:16 am by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up