Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: In need of urgent LF + MFDB help  (Read 5574 times)

ChristopherBarrett

Re: In need of urgent LF + MFDB help
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 09:04:17 pm »

Rib,

I don't miss rear swing/tilt at all.  The only times I ever used rear tilt was when I was trying to gain more rise than the camera was capable of... then employing the old "tilt the front and back both forward and tilt the camera up until level" trick.  The M2 (with 30mm rise) has given me more movement than I've ever required on the P65+.  I have used my Schneider and previously Rodenstock 35mm's on both the M2 and the R with both the Rotaslide and the KG slider.... no probs.  While the M2 is not nearly as easy to focus as the R, it is quite a capable camera for Arch shooting and served me well for about 6 months until the r came along.  I wouldn't trust shooting it untethered, where I would feel comfortable focusing the R with a digital distance finder.  I happen to have an old 50cm rail and bellows that fit the M2 which allows me extreme closeups!  I haven't tried to go longer with a middle standard.

I think the M2 plan is not a bad idea... you can always have your lenses retrofitted to the R when you buy it (as I did) and you can use the adapter board to go back and forth (as I do now).  The modularity of this system is a no brainer given your requirements.

Cheers,
CB

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 05:25:55 am »

Dick, what do you mean by that? I thought that conversion kit simply changes the size of the standards and the bellows, how can that affect the movements?
Another thing- what are the practical (crucial for actually working with the camera) differences between P3 and a P2 converted to P3? Hard to get info on that if you don't know both systems.

As I understand, the price of eShutter is still TBA ?
The P2 has more shift/rise fall/than the P3,,, so, if you convert a P2 to a P3 you have more movement... have you looked up the specs on the Sinar web site?

¿are you there Edwin?

The P3 has finer focusing.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

ctz

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 05:47:02 am »

The P3 has finer focusing.

The P3 has the same (gear) focusing as P2, a camera first introduced 20-30 years ago.
Recently I've tested the Arca Monolith and indeed (for my big surprise) I didn't find the focusing mechanism any better than my old Sinar P2.
I do hope that the M2 has a finer mechanism.
If so, I wouldn't miss the rear tilt/swing either, but sometimes I would probably miss the front rise/shift, especially for extreme closeup work.

Mr. Rib

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 09:20:55 am »

Dick,

You wrote:

"
I have converted one of my P2s to P3... and this can be better than a straight P2, as you get more movement, so you can stitch without a sliding back.

If you enter "P3" instead of "P2" in the second part of that sentence, it would make sense :) Otherwise not, that's why I questioned it, but now I understand that it was simply a typo. And of course I went throught all the data available on P3, P2 and a lot of other stuff we were talking about, one of my intents is to not make you waste your time on obvious things I can check up myself :) Well, maybe Arca case is a bit different because there's no official website available- thus no obviousness here. Thanks for the provided anwsers.

Chris,
Thanks for help again, I guess I'll stick to my M2 + RM3D plan, it seems the most sensible thing to do.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:26:47 am by Mr. Rib »

TMARK

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 12:27:00 pm »

I went through this recently. I had a project to shoot for, and with, my father, an architect.  The brief was to document all his existing buildings/public art/landscapes over a year or two, whenever I'm not working.  We did this 20 years ago with a Sinar P.  We looked at all the options, including digital with one of my Leaf backs.  We settled on an Arca Swiss F Line Compact and Kodak Ektar film, and the Mamiya 7 system loaded with Ektar.  In ariving at this conclusion, we tested many many cameras and camera types, and given an over all budget of about $20k, no real time constraints, and an overarching interest in traveling light, the F Line and Mamiya 7 with film was the way to go. 

If we had another $15k - $20K we would have used the Arca R3 with digital lenses.  These digital wides are so difficult to focus on the ground glass that anything not in a mount is cumbersome, requiring tethered operation.  The M2, while really nice, was just too cumbersome for what we had in mind, given the difficulty in focusing and the required tethered operation and the attendant batteries, chargers, wires, etc.

Digital on my existing 4x5 cameras was less than satisfactory because of the small movements required for digital and the difficulty of squaring the standards.  My worn out Sinar P is unworkable because the gearing is both worn and not precise enough.  My Linhof Technika IV doesn't cut it because, aside from rise, none of the front movements are geard and it won't take lenses wider than 90. 

So we settled on film, and the mamiya 7 system, which I already have.  We needed a 4x5 camera that is light, rigid, and has plenty of movements for wide lenses.  The Technikardan 45s works, is REALLY compact, but, even used, is more expensive than an Arca F Line, and the bellows are $700.  The F Line is more rigid, less compact, about the same weight, and new accessories such as wide angle bellows are less than the Linhof.

Bottom line, for digital architecture, a plate camera and digital lenses is the way to go.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up