Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EOS1Ds and toes  (Read 1950 times)

Jim Gilley (grumpysworld@yahoo.c

EOS1Ds and toes
« on: October 15, 2002, 09:00:34 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Many thanks, Michael, for posting your timely review of the EOS1Ds. Your images are far superior to the 'official' ones posted by Canon. I applaud your ability to obtain the 1Ds for testing, as well as for posting the results. Here's where the story gets interesting...

I just returned from a trip where I met with several Canon reps who I was able to speak with at length. I inquired as to why L-L was the only site with photos up (at first), and was told some folks (at Canon) felt their toes had been stepped on by this. Ludicrous! But, I swear that is what I was told.

To my great fortune, I had a 1Ds to play with one morning, and was able to keep the shots I took. However, I was told in no uncertain terms that I could NOT publish the results  Dammit! Still, I was so grateful for being able to shoot with this baby, that I will gladly abide by the wishes of the folks who loaned me one (and probably weren't even supposed to).

I guess you fellows up in the Great White North are a bit more relaxed about such things than us Yanks. It's a shame Canon is so strongly managed in the traditional Japanese way. Believe me, I've done enough business with companies over there that I am thoroughly well versed in the way things are in that culture. Those guys need to lighten up a tad and pay attention to folks like you, who are HELPING them immensely.

I really have nothing to offer in the way of commentary on the 1Ds other than to confirm everything you already said. Coming from a D30 and EOS1v background, the camera is an absolute dream to use, and the images are indeed stunning. If only I could publish, I could show you side by side D30 vs. 1Ds shots. Oh well...

The only bad news? The boys seem to think there won't be a lot of demand for this camera. Say what? Yep, that's what they told me. D60 supply, here we go again...

Cheers!
Grumpy
www.grumpysworld.com[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up