Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voigtlander lenses???  (Read 3307 times)

pikeys

• My Pics
Voigtlander lenses???
« on: September 26, 2010, 01:03:09 am »

I'm contemplating getting a 40mm Voigtlander F2 ultron lens for my canon 5d2.
Can anyone give me some opinions about this lens
I'm aware that they are manual focus only,and,
I've read that they are produced by Cosina,at the same factory,that makes Zeiss lenses.

Some of the reviews are rather strong, so, I'd like to learn more from someone who has actually used Voigtlander.
Any help /advise would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Mike

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:09:45 am by pikeys »

sojournerphoto

Re: Voigtlander lenses???
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 06:07:25 am »

There's another thread on this somewhere.

I've not used one yet, but I know of one person who is using one instead of his 35/2 Zeiss distagon as, although it's probably not as good, it's more useable ergonomically on his 5D2

Mike

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 10:32:18 am »

The beehive of third party lens fanatics is the Alternative Gear & Lenses forum at fredmiranda.com. 

Later,
Johnny

JeanMichel

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 11:21:33 am »

Hi,

I own and use both the 40 and 20 Voigtlanders on my Canon 5D2.
I and a few other members have made comments on this earlier, so you may want to search for this.
My main reason for purchasing the two lenses has do do with wanting a camera and lens combination that was a bit closer to the size of my film Leica M with 35 and 50 lenses. The 24-105 lens is more than just fine, and as I wrote before the IS and AF features are rather great.
Comparing the 40 and 20 to the 24-105 is not that useful, but all three lenses are useful.
On a tripod, using LiveView to achieve the best focus, the 40 yields sharper images than the 24-105 set at 40. Handheld, I don't know, but I make 12 by 18 inches prints from files from both and am very pleased with the results.
I use the 40 and 20 VC quite a lot when documenting exhibitions.
The 40 comes with a close-up lens, I only used it a little to try it and not enough to write an opinion on this.
The 20 works very well, and yes it does vignette a lot wide open, but so what, easy to correct in RAW or PS and saves on burning corners in the darkroom ;D
The 20 distorts about the same way (mustache) as the 24-105 at 24, so no brickwork documentation please.
Both lenses are very well made, focusing is very smooth.
I use the standard focusing screen and do rely on the focus confirmation light, that and, especially for the 20, on the dof scale on the lens -- judging th edof to be narrower by a stop or more.

Micro AF: on my camera, the 40 does not need any and my 20 does.
CA: 40 basically none; the 20: -21 adjustment in red-cyan

So yes, I like them, and use them a lot. But if I had to choose, I would keep the 24-105 ahead of the other two. As long as you know why you need or want the 40 and are prepared to work manually you will enjoy the lens.

Oh, I forgot to mention in my earlier posts: both lenses but especially the 20 are extremely resistant to flare, including having the sun right at the edge or inside the image.

If you read French, see the following website:

http://www.questionsphoto.com/tag/227-voigtlander

Jean-Michel

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 06:28:57 pm »

Jean Michel,

Thank you for your detailed reply.
This is the information I was wanting to hear.
This lens will be used on a the 5D2 for studio work, my wife is involved with,and the camera will be on a tripod.
My main concern was the sharpness,and I was reluctant to start looking at Zeiss lenses,as I just purchased the 5dII,and last week a 24-105L.

Thanks again for your help,much appreciated....

J_J,thanks for the tip about Fred Miranda,I'll be sure to use him next time...

JeanMichel

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 07:50:35 pm »

Hi Mike.

Glad to have been of some assistance.
If you are in Canada, check http://www.leicaboutique.com/ they are the online store of Camtech Photo in Montreal and they carry the Voigtlanders. They may also sell abroad and they respond personally and promptly to requests for information.

Jean-Michel

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 02:02:22 pm »

Jean-Michel,

Outstanding..I was just about to order the lens from someone on  e-bay..it was the only one available.
Your timing is excellent,I ordered it through Leicaboutique.com...delivery is expected the 3 week in October..

Many thanks,

Mike

JeanMichel

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 03:36:27 pm »

Hi again,

I am sure that you will enjoy using your new lens when it arrives. There is another site that deals with VC lenses, mostly for Leica and such bodies: http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm

Jean-Michel

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 04:25:35 pm »

JeanMichel,

I already checked out Cameraquest.com,and they got a mark of.....0......in resellers.com.

For now,I'll stay with either Leicaboutique,or B&H photo.

Thanks,
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up