Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: calibrating canon ip4500 / turn off color management  (Read 4099 times)

jormamueller

calibrating canon ip4500 / turn off color management
« on: September 25, 2010, 05:59:59 am »

hello

i am trying to calibrate a canon ip4500 with my x-rite spectrometer.

i know its not a professional printer and i also have an ipf5000 at my office. but i want to use the little 4500 at an event where we take portraits of people and directly print the photos. i used to do that two years ago with an old windows laptop (ps7), where calibration was no problem.

now with my macbook pro, snow leopard, photoshop cs5 and latest canon printer driver 10.30.3.0 there is no option to print my untagged colorchart (which obviously i want to measure with my x-rite) by disabling color management.
of course i can choose any profile, but in order to first calibrate and make a profile, i should be able to turn off color management.
anyone have any suggestions/workarounds?

i am printing with ilford gold fibre silk. any ideas on what paper settings i should use?

i would be willing to buy a new printer (like 4700) but i suppose, they have the same print dialogue, thus unable to turn off color management for profiling.

or maybe there is another (fairly cheap) a4 printer of a different brand that would do the job? i dont want to go to that event without a profile.

thank you for any comments.

jorma.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 06:03:04 am by jormamueller »

TimBarker

• http://tbarker.net
Re: calibrating canon ip4500 / turn off color management
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 06:54:56 pm »

I've seen this problem mentioned elsewhere, is the problem in CS5 not having an ability to turn off colour management in the programme or is it the print driver itself.  The print driver I use for my Pro9000 definitely allows one to turn off colour management at the print driver level. 

In the Preferences dialog, Main Tab, Color/Intensity Manual then hit Set button, Matching Tab, Color Corrections <None> highlighted.  Difficult to find and not that obvious but still there. 
Tim Barker (aka MandoTiM in other forums),
Rank Amateur.

Uses Nikon D200 or Sony Ixus110is
with post-processing on an ASUS P6T and i7-920 with
6Gb RAM, 1.5Tb discs, NEC PA271, Gigabyte 9600, Canon 9000Pro,
using Win7-64, CS4 et al.

jormamueller

Re: calibrating canon ip4500 / turn off color management
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:40:25 am »

Hi, thanks for you answers. I havent found any pulldown "printer color off".

But in another thread (i've looked for days, but, murphy's law, when you post something, you'll find the answer yourself a second later) i found out, that i just have to assign (not convert to) an adobergb profile to the untagged color chart, then print it with the adobergb profile. Then measure the print, make the profile .. voila. The print looks great (as great as it can be, for a 100 dollar printer,)

Here's the link to the workaround:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/solving.shtml

Hope this is some help for others as well.

Best, Jorma.
Pages: [1]   Go Up