Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Contax N Digital  (Read 6075 times)

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
The Contax N Digital
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2005, 11:30:48 pm »

This thread falls well below the standard of courtesy, civility and open-minded intellectual exchange which have, and must continue to, characterized this forum.

That means you, Jonathan.

I am lost at what commercial agenda could be attributed to a review of an extinct camera system.  Nemo posts a link to his site because, outrageously, that's where he posts his articles.  Perhaps, if you were to offer him the hosting space and bandwidth, he'd post it on yours, so that you could reap whatever illicit benefit you must believe drive his intellectual endeavours.

As for language, while this site is in English, because that is Michael's first language, it has always possessed an international flavour in its contents and readership.  As hard as it may be for us anglos to fathom, most of humanity speaks other languages -- several usually.   We inhabit the one of the only societies on earth where a man can be considered education with the grasp of only one language.  This should engender modesty, not arrogance.

Let peace and manner reign in the LL.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Nemo

The Contax N Digital
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2005, 09:54:56 am »

Don't worry, I will do it.

Kyocera has abandoned the photo business, including the brand "Contax".

I liked the camera. I think the same design with a new full frame sensor and a reasonable price would be great. Think on specifications/price similar to those of the new Canon 5D, but using Zeiss lenses and with Contax design!!

Zeiss is trying to recover its rights on the brand.

Wait and see.

R

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
The Contax N Digital
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2005, 03:46:42 pm »

And the relevance of this thread would be...?

Jonathan Wienke

The Contax N Digital
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2005, 08:15:46 pm »

I'm fully capable of reading and comprehending what I read. What I'm asking is how a "new" review (which doesn't even have any sample images) of a flawed and long-discontinued camera from a company with an extremely uncertain future in a language few of the posters here can read is relevant to the readers here?

Nemo's recent posts here have been nothing but attempts to drive traffic to his Spanish-language site, which is not the point of these forums.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
The Contax N Digital
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2005, 09:41:58 am »

There is also a lot of interesting material available in Japanese and it could indeed be interesting to have links to these.

The quality of the automatic translations is usually not that great, but they do nonetheless provide the reader with a rough idea of the content.

The internationalization of the web is a reality, and it doesn't take much to predict that we will see more and more interesting content written in languages other than English. Many sites just don't have the resources to translate their content to English or Spanish. Besides, why English and not Mandarin if the goal is to reach global audiences? The question may not seem relevant today, but it will be in a few years.

I do personnally agree that it does make sense to provide links to those non English sites providing valueable content. If the LL doesn't, somebody else will. I guess it will become quickly one of the aspects defining to what extend this site has the potential to be a true World reference about landscape photography.

Regards,
Bernard

Jonathan Wienke

The Contax N Digital
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2005, 10:21:13 am »

Just a bowl of let's-point-out-the-obvious.

Nemo

The Contax N Digital
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2005, 02:42:42 pm »

Jonathan,

you have a lot of time for investigation, I see. It is not my case.

I read these forums, but I write only if I have an interesting contribution (it is not your case). Whether you are not interested in my links, or you are unable to read them (I think it would be a good occasion for learning Spanish, and improve your cultural level) the only thing you can do is not to click on the link. It is easy.

The problems with the images are not my fault. It is due to the application of the site that publishes the articles (it is not my site). You could learn how to install and use a different browser (it is not so difficult, believe me).

Your opinions are very interesting and relevant to the subject. Thanks for your comments.

Yours sincerely,

R

milanissimo

The Contax N Digital
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2005, 09:47:47 am »

To add more fire to this interesting debate.

Nemo... I'd like to know more about Contax N1, because it's very interesting camera... or rather, WAS, because it's long discontinued and, I'd say forgotten by pretty much everybody.
But.
Posting something in Spanish and then yacking on everybody to learn it is bullshit. I run a site and I run it in both english and my mother tongue (Slovak.. ever heard of Slovakia?). If I was such an idiot as you seem to be (no offense please), I could say the same thing... learn Slovak language and "improve your cultural level", and I'm sure you would because, frankly, I believe this is the first time you hear about Slovakia (it's in central Europe..).
And to say that images cannot be displayed by Internet Explorer or any other browser except Firefox or whatever you are suggesting is the BIGGEST BULLSHIT I've heard in a LONG time.
So do yourself and us a favour and post your articles in english. Personaly, I'd like to read any interesting article and I don't care if it's on LL or DPreview or any other site. But if it's not in a language I don't speak, I won't read it (and I'm sure many will do the same...)

James Hill

The Contax N Digital
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2005, 07:23:14 pm »

Mr. Wienke, I wish you the best of luck on your proposed career change. I can hardly wait to get tips from the deserts of Iraq on how to clean dust off of a DSLR sensor.

Here's a simple tip I learned in kindergarten: If Nemo annoys you, ignore him. Don't read his posts. When you see the name "Nemo," skip over it. How hard is that? What the #### is wrong with people like you?

milanissimo

The Contax N Digital
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2005, 04:28:05 am »

As an aside, I find it odd that when Jonathan is abused, he complains, but he then applauds when someone insults another forum user, and he then joins in. Hypocrisy?
I've never shied away from speaking my mind, and I have never whined to Michael or any other moderator when people disagree with me, even if I think they are obnoxious, annoying, and stupid. Debating or criticizing someone's ideas is not the same as targeting insults directly at the person. And that's where I draw the line.

When I commented on Milanissimo's post, I hadn't noticed the "If I was such an idiot as you seem to be" bit, and I don't condone that statement. IMO that crosses the line between vigorous debate and personal attack. In fairness, the same can probably be said of my "rude, condescending foreigners" and I apologize for that.
I apologize too. I know my sentence was a bit over the top, but it had that (no offense, please) at the back. But IMO it's not right to post something in Spanish and when somebody complain that he/she can't read it, just say "learn it".
I just read a pretty interesting article about Galileo satelite system, feel free to read it as well:
http://www.itnews.sk/buxus_dev/generate_pa...?page_id=923943
(I'm sorry, I couldn't find any particular article about photography equipment, so ... and btw. it's in Slovak... ).
SO IMO, If Nemo has been fortunate enough to get his hands on Contax N1 (and that's saying VERY FORTUNATE) and he actually tested it and wrote a review, then he should find 2-3 hours to translate the article to English (after spending ?? certain number of hours of testing it...).

milanissimo

The Contax N Digital
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2005, 08:28:53 am »

he should find 2-3 hours to translate the article to English (after spending ?? certain number of hours of testing it...)

I will try, but not at this moment. I think the work needed cannot be done in 2-3 hours. I thought the pictures are eloquent enough. The pictures at different ISOs are interesting. Besides, the links in the article (external references) are in English.

I would like to translate other articles but, believe me, this means a lot of work.

R
Ok, when you do, please post the link here and I will gladly read it, because I think it's (or was) interesting camera and I don't know why Contax did the way they did.. basically killed the camera with 2-year delays...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up