Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR3 and the Wacom Tablet  (Read 3679 times)

ozphoto

LR3 and the Wacom Tablet
« on: September 24, 2010, 04:17:44 pm »

I would like to know whether anybody out there is using a wacom tablet with LR3 and the results?

Is it worth investing in one?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: LR3 and the Wacom Tablet
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:01:46 pm »

Hard to say. Some people swear by them, others not. I've been happy with a trackball mouse for however many years LR has been out. But I have got an Intuos 4 recently and like using it for the local adjustment brush. The only way to know is to have one and see if it's gathering dust or not.

John

ozphoto

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 05:14:50 pm »

Do you only use it for the brush?

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 07:03:06 pm »

For some reason, setting tablet preferences for Lightroom specifically does not work very well.  I am unable to enter specific commands for Modifier Keys in the dialogue box.

ozphoto

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 07:05:23 pm »

what modifier keys are you referring to the wacom tablet itself?

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 07:09:55 pm »

For an Intuos 4 you can set application specific instructions for the tablet's Express Keys.  Go to System Preferences, click on the Wacom icon and it will take you to that screen.

ozphoto

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 08:07:30 pm »

I see so you are having issues with these and LR3 ?

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 08:14:06 pm »

Correct...  Otherwise, as far as actual use, it is pretty awesome.  Spot removal and painting in adjustments, for instance, is much easier and more accurate than with a mouse.  And of course if you are using Photoshop, or any painting program for that matter, a tablet can't be beat.

ozphoto

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 08:59:51 pm »

So it seems I should get one.........?

Richard Ripley

• http://www.richardripley.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 10:44:13 pm »

I use my Intuos 4 when I am doing local adjustments in LR 3 and in PS CS5. Otherwise, it is unplugged. As to getting one, yes it is invaluable for getting more precise brushing in LR 3 and PS but I'm not so sure it is essential. I have the Intuos 4 M which is the medium size tablet.

Sheldon N

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 11:50:19 pm »

I have an Intuos 3 small tablet that I use regularly. I use it with Photoshop all the time and it's invaluable. I don't find it as useful with LR3, will occasionally use it with local adjustments, but LR just isn't as fast or as fluid as Photoshop for those kinds of things so I almost always will kick over to photoshop for local adjustments.  A tablet is definitely recommended, I just find it best with Photoshop.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 03:34:26 am »

Do you only use it for the brush?
At least that's when I switch from my trackball mouse. Once the pen is in my hand, I'll then use it for other Develop work.

Earlier this year I was on Adobe's stand at Focus on Imaging and took the chance to force myself to use the Intuos 4 tablets and see if they would win me over. I was mainly showing Lightroom and a lot of people noticed I was using the tablet and asked what I thought about the combination, like you. Some show visitors used them and loved them, while others were like me - on a spectrum from still figuring out whether we liked them through to finding their tablet had gradually moved out of reach to the dust-gathering end of the desk. Anyway, by the end of the 4 days, I still wasn't 100% sure, and that's still true even after buying my own one 3 weeks ago.

In other words, you may like using one, you may not, and the only way of knowing is to use one for a while.

John

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 04:06:41 am »

I use a Intuous 3 Wide for brush strokes,

I cannot bare doing this with the mouse.

True the settings are not as nice in LR as PS.

I go over the shortcuts often so I'm in the process of speeding up on my side the way I work.
In any case LR is great for pre-shaping the image but for multiple brush operations it's best in PS.

ozphoto

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 09:47:25 am »

Ok will give it a try as I have CS5 as well but tend not to use it too much, I mainly work on LR3 with short trips to CS5 to either soft proof or do other work. I was looking at the Intuos 4 small as my desk has 2 monitors for a price of $220 CDN which I think is a good price?
Pages: [1]   Go Up