Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: K/M 7D vs Sony A55  (Read 2558 times)

currymac

• http://web.mac.com/gcurry/Gerry_%26_Nancys_Website/Welcome.html
K/M 7D vs Sony A55
« on: September 24, 2010, 10:52:41 am »

I love my K/M 7d but really want to be able to make larger prints without having to resort to enlarging by re-sampling in Photoshop. I've been drooling over an A900 and then the A850 but they're not in my budget at the moment. I'm wondering if the A55 would be a good intermediate step. I'm not interested in video or any of the "toys," just improved image quality. All my lenses are Minolta so ultimately moving to a Sony full-frame is the goal.

Comments?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: K/M 7D vs Sony A55
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 04:44:30 pm »

Hi,

I had the KM 7D, Alpha 100, now I use the Alpha 700 and the Alpha 900. I'd say that the Alpha 700 (12.5 MP APS-C) is perfectly good for A2-prints with a good lens. A2 is 16.5"x23.4", largest I can print on my Epson 3800.

The image files from the A900 are much better but the A2-prints from the A700 are pretty close. My conclusion is that the A55 is probably a good option. But lenses do matter!

You may check this:
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/24-how-many-megapixels-do-we-need

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

ctgardener

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 08:56:05 am »

If image quality is your chief concern (over features) you might consider the A580.  You have mirror slap to contend with, but Sony finally added 2-sec mirror prefire back in.  The A55 doesn't have that issue.  But you're not shooting through the pellicle mirror that 'steals' some light and can potentially collect dust over time.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 10:28:04 am »

Hi,

I view the electronic viewfinder concept favorably and dust on the pelicular mirror may be less of a problem than dust on the sensor, because it is farther away from the focal plane and therefore more defocused.

Best regards
Erik

If image quality is your chief concern (over features) you might consider the A580.  You have mirror slap to contend with, but Sony finally added 2-sec mirror prefire back in.  The A55 doesn't have that issue.  But you're not shooting through the pellicle mirror that 'steals' some light and can potentially collect dust over time.
Erik Kaffehr

aaykay

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 02:22:28 pm »

I bought an A55 yesterday, mainly for video, along with the new 35mm f/1.8 SAM lens.  This perfectly compliments my existing A900.  I used to have an A700 in the past (sold after the A900 came on board) but feel that the A55 is something I can be comfortable with for the long term, alongside the A900.

Pages: [1]   Go Up