Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Silly Little Annoyances  (Read 1893 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Two Silly Little Annoyances
« on: September 24, 2010, 05:49:54 am »

Well, the Lightroom section seems very quiet. LR must be running great for everybody. I must say that now I have 3.2 final release, it is going like a good 'un for me too. I can see that I shall be lowered into my coffin clutching my trusty 'Blad 500 in one hand and the LR CD in the other.

But there are two stupid little niggles which have plagued me in every version of LR which I have run (which so far has been LR 2.6, 2.7, 3 beta, 3.0 final, 3.2 RC and now 3.2 final, on two different PCs). I can't believe it is only me who gets clobbered by them, surely?

* Every time I use the print module, it is a complete gamble what units of measurement will come up in image size and rulers. I always set it to inches, then I come back next evening and it is centimeters. Or sometimes it is inches but the rulers are in centimeters. The damn thing has a mind of its own. It makes no difference if I create a user template with everything set to inches, if I come back to use it a day or two later often everything is in centimeters again.

* Colour noise reduction switches itself off without being asked when working in B/W. I start out my develop module editing with an import setting which has, say, Color NR set to 25. Somewhere along the line, after a few snapshots, this just disappears and resets itself to 0. I'm used to this now, so I don't worry and leave NR till the very last step, where I create a snapshot called "Final Print". But now, here is the sneaky catch which LR keeps up its sleeve. Having created "Final Print", if I go to the previous snapshot and then back again to FP, colour NR has been reset to 0. At first I didn't spot this, and wondered why all my prints were so noisy. The only way around this, is after creating the final snapshot I have to right-click on it and select "Update with current settings". Then it is OK, and the NR stays put.

C'mon, folks, tell me I am not alone. Or give me a fix, before I lose the plot.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Two Silly Little Annoyances
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 07:46:36 am »

Can't help you with the noise reduction glitch as I've not experienced that as I routinely don't employ it until the final step in B&W (as you note you are doing now).  With respect to the print ruler, maybe it's a function of you living overseas and your computer is confused between metric and English units! ;D  I've not seen this happening.

John R Smith

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:05:58 am »

Well, this is extraordinary, isn't it. Over 190 people have read my post, including probably some of the finest minds in photography, and nobody else, not even dear old Alan G, has had this problem with LR. I just knew it.

There is something malignant about the the computers I seem to buy, I am sure. Or a foetid contamination of unwholesome vapours in my electricty supply. Or perhaps this is all a terrible punishment for a life admittedly wasted in sin and dreadful excess. I shall struggle on regardless.

John
an

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 11:32:02 am »

Yeah, it's probably all that lust, pride, sloth....

Back in LR1 days, there was a bug where switching to B&W switched off noise reduction, but that was fixed ages ago and I've seen no evidence of it since then. Sure you aren't applying another preset that includes NR?

John

John R Smith

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 03:43:18 am »

Yeah, it's probably all that lust, pride, sloth....

Back in LR1 days, there was a bug where switching to B&W switched off noise reduction, but that was fixed ages ago and I've seen no evidence of it since then. Sure you aren't applying another preset that includes NR?

John

John

No, I don't think I am doing anything silly, or applying a preset. It happens at the very last step of my editing process - I go to the Detail panel, apply capture sharpening and (usually) some color NR, and then save that as a snapshot. But, if I go to the previous snapshot and back again, the NR has reset itself to zero. Creating a snapshot should save all the metadata to the XMP file and the catalog, and it does for all the sharpening settings, but not somehow for the color NR. Luminance NR stays put.

John
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:30:16 am by John R Smith »
an
Pages: [1]   Go Up