Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crop aspect ratio  (Read 19335 times)

walter.sk

Re: Crop aspect ratio
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2010, 05:13:07 pm »

I'd like to keep a default 2/3 aspect ratio in all of my crops. However, when I "finish" my crop (i.e. hit enter), the image is resized as well. I'd like to keep aspect ratio but not have to resize.
 How do I do this?

Thank you!
Michael
If you are uncomfortable with the use of the crop tool, use the rectangular marquee.  Then, in the options bar under "Style" you will find 3 choices: Normal, Fixed Ratio, and Fixed Size.  In the Fixed Ratio choice, enter your 2x3.  When you drag the tool it will vary in size but always remain in the 2x3 aspect ratio.  If you switch between landscape and portrait orientation you can click on the symbol between the width and height numbers and switch, for example, between 2x3 and 3x2.

I seldom use the crop tool unless I want to add to the canvas size.  I find the rectangular marquee very handy for the way I work when cropping.  Oh, I forgot...after you set your selection go to Image>Crop.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2010, 06:48:26 pm »

Through several versions of Photoshop I have never used the marquee tool for anything.
After reading this thread I've tried it for cropping and I like it! Thanks to those of you who pointed out this better way to crop.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mwdiers

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2010, 11:22:50 am »

The crop tool does not resample unless you have a number entered in the resolution box.  If you are getting a different result, it isn't a Photoshop problem.

This is not quite true. It's a bit more complicated. In fact, in Photoshop CS4 and CS5 (at least), the crop tool does resample your image if you enter a width and height in pixels, whether or not you have anything in the resolution box.

Furthermore, if you use a unit of measurement that would result in an image with a resolution higher than 9999, then your image will also be resampled to the targeted aspect ratio at 9999 PPI. Why this particular number, I do not know, but it is consistently the case. You can test this yourself by specifying width and height in millimeters or points, and then cropping a large portion of an image.

The solution is fairly simple: If you have your ruler set to pixels, always specify a unit of measurement when entering a ratio for the crop tool, in inches ("in"). For example: "3 in" x "2 in". No resampling will occur because the PPI will not climb over 9999 unless your image is positively massive. The width and height will be set at the size you specify, and resolution will be adjusted to fit that width and height. You can then reset the resolution using "Image Size..." and let width and height fall where they will.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 11:40:25 am by mwdiers »

mouse

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2010, 12:41:11 am »

Thank you.
 Yes. I would like to crop my images by aspect ratio alone--without resizing them all over the place. Using all these techniques, my images either shrink well below original dimensions or become huge when I've started off with small images.
 My original images are of varied sizes. :(

It's really a simple problem but it requires a two step solution.

Using the Crop Tool (set to inches, NOT pixels, and the resolution box BLANK) you can fix the aspect ratio of your crop.  However, depending on the resolution of your original images, and how much of a crop you make, the resulting resolution (pixel dimensions) of the cropped image can be almost anything.

If now you require the cropped images to have a fixed pixel dimension, you must use the Image>Size function set to Resample and enter the pixel dimension you require.  You need only enter dimension for width or height; the other will be altomatically calculated.

Cheers
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up