Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Crop aspect ratio  (Read 19313 times)

mbalensiefer

Crop aspect ratio
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:36:55 pm »

I'd like to keep a default 2/3 aspect ratio in all of my crops. However, when I "finish" my crop (i.e. hit enter), the image is resized as well. I'd like to keep aspect ratio but not have to resize.
 How do I do this?

Thank you!
Michael

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Crop aspect ratio
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 03:37:34 am »

I'd like to keep a default 2/3 aspect ratio in all of my crops. However, when I "finish" my crop (i.e. hit enter), the image is resized as well. I'd like to keep aspect ratio but not have to resize.
 How do I do this?

Thank you!
Michael
What software?

Jeremy

mbalensiefer

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 03:46:13 am »

Photoshop standard CS5 64-bit, on Win.:P

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:19:26 am »

Not sure I understand what you mean by "resize". Lets say, for the simplicity sake, your original is 2400 x 3600 px and you crop it, keeping the same aspect ratio, to, say, 2000 x 3000... obviously, when you crop, you are changing the size, by definition. Are you saying you want to have the same file size, i.e., 2400 x 3600, even after cropping? If that is the case, you would need to uprez (resample) after cropping.

mbalensiefer

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 09:51:35 am »

Hi!

I "only" want to keep one aspect ratio. I do not want to resize, at all.:))

Thank you!
Michael

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:09:07 am »

... I "only" want to keep one aspect ratio. I do not want to resize, at all...

That is impossible. When you crop, you change the size by definition.

mbalensiefer

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 11:04:42 am »

I don't mind changing my images' dimensions via aspect ratio correction.
 I "do" mind having all my images end up at the exact same H/W dimension sizes.

1) I would like to crop many of my images to have the same aspect ratio.

2) I would not like to have all these images be the exact same H/W dimensions.

Is this possible?

Thanks!
Mike

JeanMichel

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 12:30:21 pm »

Hi,
In PS (i use CS4) you can set the width, height and resolution for the crop tool. If you set all 3 parameters and crop, the image will resize. If you only set the width and height parameters and leave the resolution blank, you will end up with a cropped image (say a 9 by 6 crop at 300 ppi from a 12 by 18 at 300 ppi) at the original resolution: smaller physical and file size, no loss of resolution since you are not enlarging the cropped portion to fit the original image size.

As far as I know there is no way to tell PS to crop by ratio, except for making a square crop by pressing 'shift' as you drag the tool. You either enter values in the width, height, resolution or leave them blank and freeform the crop -- you can use he info palette to see the size of the crop s you drag.

If you start with RAW files, you can crop in Camera Raw using ratios, when you open the file in PS you will have the smaller image at the native resolution.

Jean-Michel

mbalensiefer

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 07:53:07 pm »

Thank you, Jean Michel.

So with the crop tool basically there is no way to crop by aspect ratio alone--without resizing all images into the same Height and Width dimensions as well.

I think this is worth writing Adboe about. :P

Thank you!
~Michael

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 09:46:19 pm »

... So with the crop tool basically there is no way to crop by aspect ratio alone--without resizing all images into the same Height and Width dimensions as well...

Still not sure what you are trying to do (or why), but the above is not entirely correct. If you enter your ratio into the Height and Width field of the Crop tool (say 3 for Width and 2 for Height), while leaving the Resolution field blank, you can then crop to your heart's content and the ratio will always be 2/3.. what is going to change is the pixel dimension of the file (in other words, images will not have the same pixel dimensions, just the same 2/3 ratio).

mbalensiefer

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 10:02:15 pm »

Hi Slobodan,

When I put my entries into the Width or the Height boxes in Photoshop CS5, then these entries in turn change those numbers into "pixels"...therefore, when I go:

W: 50
H: 100

And then finish (ie hit Enter)...

My end result is 50 by 100 pixels. Every time. Not 1:2...but 50*100 pixels.
Is this not your results as well?

V/R
Michael

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 10:10:56 pm »

... When I put my entries into the Width or the Height boxes in Photoshop CS5, then these entries in turn change those numbers into "pixels"...

Go to: Photoshop>Preferences>Units & Rulers>Units>Rulers and change the value from "pixels" to "inches" (this is for CS4... I assume something similar works for CS5).

aduke

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 10:23:17 pm »

Go to: Photoshop>Preferences>Units & Rulers>Units>Rulers and change the value from "pixels" to "inches" (this is for CS4... I assume something similar works for CS5).

In addition, you need to make sure that "Resample" is not on.

Alan

mbalensiefer

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 10:36:30 pm »

Hi!

I may be getting closer...where is "Resample" at?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 12:10:44 am »

So with the crop tool basically there is no way to crop by aspect ratio alone--without resizing all images into the same Height and Width dimensions as well.

I think this is worth writing Adboe about. :P

I may be getting closer...where is "Resample" at?
There is no resample to turn off if you are using the crop tool.  And yes, you can use the crop tool to constrain a crop to an aspect ratio without resizing the image to a set dimension.

As has been explained, there are three numbers you can enter - before you create your selection.  If you enter only a width and height number, this will constrain the selection to that aspect ratio.  If you enter 4px and 5px or 4000px x5000px or 8"x10" , you will get a 4x5 ratio. If you want a 2 x 3 ratio, just enter 2 and 3.  The numbers don't matter ... all that matters is the ratio between the two.  As long as you don't enter a number in the resolution box, then all that will happen is your selection rectangle will be constrained to that ratio, and your image will be cropped to the selection with any resizing.  Obviously the pixel dimension is now changed, as is the "size" (which is an irrelevant number anyway until you output the image).  But each image will be a different size based on how much you cropped it.

If you enter the third number that will force the image to a specific "size" and "resolution". So if you enter 8"x10" and 300 dpi, you will get an image that is 2400 x 3000 pixels in size.  Really only useful if you are trying to quickly create files that need to be a specific size when printed or displayed.

I know of no way to make this the "default".  However, I believe Photoshop retains the last used numbers even after restarting.  Sounds like all you need to do is enter 2 in the first box, 3 in the second, leave the third blank, and basically that will be your default.  You can also save it as a preset so it is easy to get back to.

If this isn't what you are talking about then I'm not sure anyone is understanding your question.   There is nothing to write adobe about here ...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 12:16:45 am »

In addition, you need to make sure that "Resample" is not on...

"Resample" in the Image>Image Size is irrelevant.

mbalensiefer

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 12:44:20 am »

Hi, Wayne,

Thank you.

I have followed your above, but whenever I type an entry into either of the two columns (height or width), I automatically get the -- "px" which means pixels. How can I make an entry without entering it as pixels?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 01:41:08 am »

... whenever I type an entry into either of the two columns (height or width), I automatically get the -- "px" which means pixels. How can I make an entry without entering it as pixels?

Check my post #11.

mbalensiefer

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 02:03:46 am »

Hi.

I did this.

I have the same results.
 Is anybody here performing a standard crop with a set aspect ratio and NOT having the height and width change to EXACTLY what was set as the aspect ratio?

Thank you,
Michael

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 10:11:52 am »

Hi, Wayne,

Thank you.

I have followed your above, but whenever I type an entry into either of the two columns (height or width), I automatically get the -- "px" which means pixels. How can I make an entry without entering it as pixels?
If you don't like "px," your only alternative is to type in "in" for inches or "cm" for centimeters. I prefer inches, since they are bigger.

The important thing is to make sure the resolution box is blank. If anything is there already, move to that box and hit "delete."
Here is an example of an image I posted in another thread. As posted, it is 850 px x 583 px at 96 px/in resolution, including the "frame."

In CS5 I cropped it using 3 in and 2 in for width and height and no resolution specified. The result came to 3"x2" at 222 px/in. I then went to "image size" (ctrl+alt+I in windows) and unchecked "resample image" and typed 96 into the resolution box. This kept the pixel dimensions the same (666px x 444 px) but said the image size was now 6.938" x 4.625". This is the second image.

Then I went back to the original image and did exactly the same, but used width=30 inches and height=20 inches (same ratio as before). The image was now 30" x 20.016" at 21.733 px/in. I resized that (with "resample unchecked") to 96 px/in again, which gave me an image size of 6.792" x 4.531" and pixel dimensions of 652 x 435. This gives the third image. The slight differences in pixel dimensions and converted sizes are because I didn't crop exactly the same way both times. But notice that the two croppings look almost exactly the same.

I hope this helps a little.

Eric

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:13:25 am by Eric Myrvaagnes »
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up