Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contemplating a Move from 17" to 24" Printer  (Read 1351 times)

Light Seeker

Contemplating a Move from 17" to 24" Printer
« on: September 22, 2010, 05:33:20 pm »

I have printed on fine art media (matte and gloss) for many years with Epson's 13" and 17" printers (e.g. 2200 / 3800), and I'm contemplating a 24" printer purchase (e.g. 7900). Although my volume is low, I would like to make larger prints on occasion and in particular, I am interested in working with canvas. Doing a gallery wrap with 17" media produces a relatively small photograph.

My perception is that this is a step up into "another league", and I want to go in with eyes open. What cautions do you suggest that I keep in mind?

On a related note, how do you flatten prints once they've come off the roll? I've had limited success using my D-Roller when I've cut individual sheets from a roll.

Thanks.

Terry.

Geoff Wittig

Re: Contemplating a Move from 17" to 24" Printer
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:50:06 am »

Good luck, and welcome to the cult!
I wrote a blog entry on the subject of setting up your first 24" printer here:
 http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/printers-and-printing/
It's the July 2nd post about a third of the way down the scrolled pages. It may answer at least some of your questions.

Regarding the D-roller, I've had very good results with mine. The type of paper you're using has a lot to do with the process. I find that cotton rag papers, both matte and 'baryta', tend to flatten nicely after just a minute or two in the D-roller. The plastic papers tend to have a lot more 'curl memory', and sometimes have to be left in the D-roller for longer intervals before they lose their curl. And as you approach the end of a roll, with some papers the last print or two comes off with such a tight curl there's no salvaging them. I tend to use the tail end of the roll for experiments.
Hope that helps.

Scott Shelerud

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 09:33:26 am »

Going in with eyes open...that was my plan as well and I was upgrading for the same reasons you are.  As I did my research, I found a curiosity in Canon's pricing: once the size and cost of the included ink cartridges was considered, the 44" printer was less expensive than the 24"! (After applying the available rebates)

Don't rule the larger printers out.  It sounds like you're probably looking at the Epsons and I don't know their pricing, but Canon ships much larger ink cartridges with the 44" models than with the 24"  Larger initial outlay, but ultimately cheaper.  YMMV

Good luck with the new machine.
Scott Shelerud

Knife Island Images

www.KnifeIsland.com

hsmeets

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:00:41 am »

My perception is that this is a step up into "another league", and I want to go in with eyes open. What cautions do you suggest that I keep in mind?

Nothing to be afraid of here. The larger prints (bigger enlargement) might need a little bit more care in preparing to not show image processing artifacts.

If you have the money and enough wall space: go for it!
Cheers,

Huib

Light Seeker

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 03:09:30 pm »

Thanks everyone. Geoff, the article was very helpful.

I've made a decision to go with a larger printer, most likely the 7900, but I'm doing some reading on the Canon as well.

Terry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up