Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does this Work?  (Read 2502 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
Does this Work?
« on: September 22, 2010, 05:26:51 pm »

This photo is a scan from a 35mm chrome (Velvia). It has a grain problem. The horizontal side is full frame. This is a standard commercial scan from a lab but my own (Epson v700) is similar. I think the lab must have done something in processing because this film shouldn't have that much grain.

Anyway, since I am a guy who has spent many years with a 4x5 and worked hard to minimize grain, this is usually a showstopper for me. But, to my surprise, I think the grain may actually work with this shot. So I thought I'd post it here and see what others think. Does the grain work here or does it get in the way. Interested to see what you think.

Thanks,
Richard Smith

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Does this Work?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 06:37:55 pm »

I had a chat with a photographer in his gallery recently and he showed me one of his earlier landscapes (before Canon 5DII). I, having been infected by an incurable disease, otherwise known as pixel-peeping (stemming from a prolonged exposure to Internet photo boards), couldn't help noticing "huge" blobs of chroma noise. He then told me that is one of his bestsellers. Customers (non-photographers obviously) were delighted by the painting-like impression the image creates, similar to pointillists technique (think Georges Seurat), when viewed from an appropriate distance.

Moral of the story? Noise or grain does not hurt that much if it fits the subject. In your case, I agree with you that it somehow works with the shot. If you print it on a canvas, it will be even less obvious.

As for the origin of grain in scanned transparencies, it is mostly because of a hard light in most non-drum scanners (similar in effect to condenser vs. diffuser enlargers). Hence, if you want less grain, go drum.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:52:14 am »

Being a pixel-peeper, I think it is awful... and I think the scene is crying out for high-res kit, for res as well as reduced grain... but would a "technically good" 100Mpx picture be more salable?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 01:11:30 pm »

It works for me Richard. 

ced

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 08:16:29 am »

Mounting in oil may reduce the graininess...

ced

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 08:19:33 am »

Richard I think too that the image is okay but the sharpening is overdone for a pic with grain like that unless when it goes to print it may soften up a bit.

rgs

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 02:16:52 pm »

Thanks to all for your comments. My first impression of the image was that it was indeed "painterly". I also considered some of the older photographic traditions that, whether for technical or artistic reasons, were softer and more "atmospheric". Gertrude Käsebier came quickly to mind. I just never thought I liked softer images but this one has kind of made me re-think that and I wondered if others would agree.

Since I am a "pixel peeper" from before pixels were a part of the discussion (I'm the guy standing one foot from an Ansel Adams 20X24 just to see how sharp it really is), I particularly liked the observations about the photographer who was successful selling a photograph that wasn't very good from a purely photographic standpoint. 

I am inclined to agree that sharpening doesn't help. I only applied the LR standard screen sharpening but I think it looks a little crunchy instead of grainy. The print that hangs on my office wall doesn't have the same sharpening and works better.

The comments about diffused as opposed to collimated light were interesting as well. Since I have a good number of 6x7 chromes and 4x5 (mostly black & white) negs to scan, my scan choices are constrained by cost much more than if I had only 35mm to consider. I have not tried oil but might.

Thanks, again
Richard Smith

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 09:42:06 pm »

Have you tried it in B&W?

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

rgs

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 09:56:28 pm »

No. I have yet to print digital B&W. I just like the B&W neg, the smell of fixer and the faint orange glow : ;D

sbunting108

• Simon Bunting Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 01:11:29 pm »

Sorry Richard it just doesn't work at all for me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up