Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic GH2 ... and what is its real frame rate?  (Read 7361 times)

BJL

Panasonic GH2 ... and what is its real frame rate?
« on: September 22, 2010, 12:55:04 pm »

I see no thread on the latest Panasonic combo-cam, the new GH2, which seems to promise significant improvement in video capabilities (like slow mo.), along with denying the cynics by offering more pixels and better per pixel performance at the same time (just like Canon and Sony and Nikon keep doing). Or at least, that is what the press releases say!

There are contradictory claims about the frame rate at which the sensor can actually operate for "Full HD" (1920x1080) output, due to the by now familiar AVCHD weirdness of sometimes using a 60i of 50i container for what is actually progressive scan sensor output. The slow mo. ability suggests that it can in fact read at higher than 24fps with 1920x1080 res.

If anyone can find the truth, please let us know!

BJL

Re: Panasonic GH2 ... and what is its real frame rate?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:28:38 pm »

I think I have found my answer, so in case anyone is interested:
yes, the new sensor in the GH2 is actually read at 1080p50 or 1080p60 for its 50i/60i output modes, apparently with half the lines of each frame then deleted to produce the lower data rate 1080i50 or 1080i60 that the rest of the camera can handle. Most of that answer comes from a spec. page that I overlooked before:
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh2/specifications.html
and the rest from discussions of samples available on youtube and vimeo.

I suppose that motion should look smoother than with the "60i from 30p" method.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 04:31:46 pm by BJL »
Pages: [1]   Go Up