Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: H4D-31, 50mm II, 120 macro II  (Read 12334 times)

Nick-T

Re: H4D-31, 50mm II, 120 macro II
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2010, 04:11:47 pm »

The tech behind it I find quite interesting, I can think of some ways how they can do 4times the res without 16shots when you would use the color information of 1 multishot to extrapolate into the extra res of a microstep image. I come to 7 takes in that case but I think it must be something like this.

Anyway, I hope the firmware upgrade and update will be available for 39MP backs too....

Ray I had heard originally that it would be an 8-shot so your reasoning is not un-reasonable! Not sure how they are getting it to work with 6 shots but they have some pretty clever people in R&D..

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 07:19:33 pm »

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by a step backwards?

People looking for improvements in a 1DsIII or D3X (usually mean IQ) will obviously look, with the lack of anything better in 35mm FF to MF as the natural progression and this H4D-31 is now a real consideration. After all, if you shoot sports a MFD will never be in your sights so why a step back?

- live view
- DR
- usable screen with instant pixel level sharpness confirmation
- cold weather usability
- weight and bulk
- rugdness and weather resistance
- autonomy (number of shots per battery)
- value - OK the camera is reasonnably cheap but replacing even a fraction of my current Nikon lens line up would cost 20.000+ US$
- long glass, wide glass, wide T/S lens,...
- wide set of lenses from other makes through directly (Zeiss, Schneider,...)
- lenses reusable on other platforms (EOS, 4/3, Sigma,...)
- lack of VR/IS
- AF (speed and accuracy in lower light situation)

It would make sense for studio use thanks to the better thethering and leaf lenses, but that is about the only application when the H4D-31 would have real world value compared to the D3x. There will also be a bit more detailed compared to an optimally sharpened D3x file.

I used to own a Hassy H1 with the 35mm and 80mm lens. Was always disapointed by the amount of distrosion present on the 35mm for such a bulky and heavy lens. The system had some nice features though, like the way mirror lock up was implemented. But that was about it.

Cheers,
Bernard

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 03:38:54 am »

Why would one have to wait 2 years? There has been a (Phase One) 60MP product for Hasselblad V for 2 years now already. And you can actually rotate the back (which you cannot do with the CFV). In fact, there's been a (Leaf/Mamiya) 56MP product that will rotate without even having to remove the back!

Steve Hendrix

Steve

You have a very good point, but one which misses the reason that the CFV series of backs manages to exist and (so far)  be economically viable for Hasselblad. The first part of the equation is price - Hasselblad have cunningly set the price of all the CFVs so far at a point which is considerably less than the equivalent Phase or Leaf back and just about affordable for the well-heeled amateur. The second, very important one, is the style. The CFV backs match the 1950s style of the V-System cameras perfectly, with all the right curves, bits of chrome, and faux-leather covering. They even have a little "V" on the release button, just like the old film magazines. Many users of the the old 500s love them because of the style and look of the camera system as much as anything else. It's a bit like driving a vintage car. In this context, Phase or Leaf backs, technically wonderful though they are, simply don't cut the mustard. The test for a 500 user is - "Would Victor have approved?" And in the case of the CFV back, I think he would have loved it.

John
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:41:47 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

perjorgen

• http://www.antarctic.dk
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2010, 05:54:53 am »

Ray I had heard originally that it would be an 8-shot so your reasoning is not un-reasonable! Not sure how they are getting it to work with 6 shots but they have some pretty clever people in R&D..

Nick-T
You can use 4 shots but then you get mutated bayer pattern and the colors will not be that good. The more shots you use the more color info you will get for each area - with 16 shots you get all three color components for each of the 200M sites (and double info on the green component)

shaun

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2010, 06:25:54 am »

My immediate wish list would be a wider than 28mm for use with the tilt shift and an updated 35mm..
Shaun

BJNY

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2010, 08:59:34 am »

Found some photos of the revised 50mm II and 120mm II lenses at David Farkas' usual excellent coverage of Photokina:
http://dfarkas.blogspot.com/2010/09/photokina-2010-day-2-look-at-other.html
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 09:15:19 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2010, 09:07:21 am »

Yes, MTF's would be nice and some spec's of both lenses. The 50 is interesting when it is a better performer than the previous one. What in heavens name can be improved to the 120?? Less sharp? Faster AF? The thing I would like most is compatability with the HTS!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up