Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crumpler Bag revisited  (Read 1359 times)

OnyimBob

• http://
Crumpler Bag revisited
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:10:21 pm »

I'm considering purchasing a Crumpler Sinking Barge bag for a forthcoming trip to Japan.
Does anyone have experience with this bag? I have to decide soon.
Bob.
BUMP I deleted this from the previous forum so I could re-post here.
How about the quality of Crumpler bags in general?
I'm looking to travel reasonably light. We'll be on the move for about five weeks mixing train and hire car travel, spending mainly at least two nights in each stop, with one nine night stop in Kyoto.
I'd like to be able to carry camera gear (including tripod) and laptop together in a backpack type set up and the crumpler seems to fit the bill. I've also thought of putting my empty sling bag in the small suitcase for when I'm on location.
Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received - especially from people who make their homes in Japan and are familiar with the territory ...... hint ..... Bernard?
Incidentally, we'll be in Tokyo from the 14th to the 17th of October. Love to have a coffee with any LuLa familiars living there.
Bob.
Bob Munro.
[url=http://www.waterholesgue

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Crumpler Bag revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 08:09:00 pm »

I'm considering purchasing a Crumpler Sinking Barge bag for a forthcoming trip to Japan.
Does anyone have experience with this bag? I have to decide soon.
Bob.
BUMP I deleted this from the previous forum so I could re-post here.
How about the quality of Crumpler bags in general?
I'm looking to travel reasonably light. We'll be on the move for about five weeks mixing train and hire car travel, spending mainly at least two nights in each stop, with one nine night stop in Kyoto.
I'd like to be able to carry camera gear (including tripod) and laptop together in a backpack type set up and the crumpler seems to fit the bill. I've also thought of putting my empty sling bag in the small suitcase for when I'm on location.
Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received - especially from people who make their homes in Japan and are familiar with the territory ...... hint ..... Bernard?
Incidentally, we'll be in Tokyo from the 14th to the 17th of October. Love to have a coffee with any LuLa familiars living there.

Hi Bob,

It would have been a pleasure to sip a coffee with you in Tokyo, but I will unfortunately be out of the country at those dates. :-(

Regarding your question, I am not familiar with the bag you are considering. I don't think that there is anything specific to Japan that would make you handle camera logistics any differently than you would visiting any other place. The one thing that comes to my mind would be crowded morning trains in big cities that you'd better avoid all together. If you cannot, then keeping the luggage to a strict minimum might be a good idea, but I am sure you will not want to cut on photography equipment.

Regarding your schedule, I would personnally spend more than one night in Kyoto, unless you have already been there before. I would also plan for some red leaves outings if you are into landscape photography. Most of the cool places are a few hours away from the roads though, which would change the logistics all together, so might not be a super idea in the end.

Enjoy your stay in Japan!

Cheers,
Bernard

OnyimBob

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:03:38 am »

What a shame Bernard! We will be back in tokyo for one night on the 15th November before we fly out the next day, but timing might be cramped then.
If you remember, I wrote to you a couple of years ago about an idea for a project I had about Kawase Hasui's woodblock prints - that is the main purpose of our visit.
Regarding Kyoto, we are indeed planning to spend nine nights there. We are staying at a B & B called Juno B & B, run by a Canadian chap and his wife - his name is Ian Martin Ropke and he also runs a private touring service - perhaps you've heard of him - I'm not sure how the expat network runs in Japan, if at all?
Thanks for your reply - a pity we won't get together.
Cheers Bob.
Bob Munro.

toffer79

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 12:41:01 pm »

I've been using their Customary Barge (which is slightly bigger) for my kit whilst backpacking in Asia & Africa over the last 8 months. It's taken a fair battering but has protected everything well. It is heaver than it's competitors (you pay extra for the sturdier materials) but I also have a shoulder bag to use when out and about on day trips so that isn't too much of a problem.

Doesn't really look like a camera / laptop bag either so doesn't draw the same attention as a Lowepro etc... The zips are big and sturdy and can be locked with padlocks / combi-locks too.

I went for this as needed a little more space and liked the external pockets which can easily hold 1.5l water bottles (essential for me in these hot climates).

Not sure if the Sinking Barge has the same waterproof cover (almost hidden away in a cheeky pocket at the top of the back support) which I've found useful.

In all, I would recommend this brand.

OnyimBob

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 06:44:30 pm »

Thanks for this toffer(?) - just the sort of info I was looking for. I know that even the Sinking Barge is a bit big but that's not a problem for me. I'm not travelling with heaps of camera gear, just camera body , two lenses and filters, batteries & other small accessories. I need the space as I said for my laptop and a few other things. Did you carry a tripod by any chance? Probably not while backpacking.
The Sinking Barge does have the waterproof cover.
Anyway, thanks for your recommendation.
Bob.
Bob Munro.

toffer79

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 02:04:04 am »

Don't have a tripod although that may be the next purchase as I'm missing out on a fair few landscape & long exp shots...

The Customary has an external strap and hoop for one but don't think the Sinking does? Although if your tripod is small enough then you should be able to accommodate it inside the main compartment. I've made a gap by opening up the velcro separating the compartments and currently jam an umbrella there - this is where I'd put the tripod to avoid drawing any unwanted attention from those with light fingers.

The general comments from others that own a Crumpler are that "It's built like a brick sh*touthouse!"  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up