Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plant Pair  (Read 1038 times)

Lost

• Flickr snapshots
Plant Pair
« on: September 21, 2010, 01:10:01 pm »

Another pair of photographs, this time taken in Kyoto botanic garden.

These were both taken in full sun outdoors. PP in Lightroom 3 was used to burn the backgrounds to white (the leaf) or black (the lotus flower). This was possible because the background was either on the verge of burning (sky) out or in shadow (background leaves). Taken as a pair they show two extemes of processing. No cardboard was used, nor any macro lens.

They were taken using a Canon S80 (leaf) and GF1 with 14-45 zoom (flower). The GF1 shows noticably more sharpness than the S80, but both are sharp enough for A4 prints. Normally I would have taken an SLR while travelling, but the GF1 did pretty well as an alternative that would actually fit in to my luggage. The S80, despite being a 5 year old compact, is still capable of giving excellent images if there is enough light.

I was quite pleased with these because I think that they show what is possible with quite basic kit and opportunistic photography. All comments or suggestions as to how to improve welcome!

-- Mark

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:56:28 am by Lost »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Plant Pair
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 04:13:44 am »

The leaf doesn't do much for me but the flower has a pleasing simplicity about it. Might be improved by a square crop, perhaps?

Jeremy

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 04:42:09 am »

The leaf doesn't do much for me but the flower has a pleasing simplicity about it. Might be improved by a square crop, perhaps?

Jeremy

Agreed - the leaf for me doesn't really work; but the flower has that pleasant simplicity Jeremy mentions. Agree with the square crop recommendation.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 09:06:37 am »

Agreed - the leaf for me doesn't really work; but the flower has that pleasant simplicity Jeremy mentions. Agree with the square crop recommendation.

Yup, I tend to think the same.

Lost

• Flickr snapshots
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 02:13:05 pm »

I think that a square crop is an excellent idea.  I still have gut instinct that advises against square crops for some reason, but in this case I expect that it will bring the subject out more.

[edit] I have updated the Flickr links with cropped images (this definitely works less well for the leaf, but I think they are better in the same format).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:58:16 am by Lost »
Pages: [1]   Go Up