Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D2x Michael?  (Read 5304 times)

D2x Michael?
« on: November 05, 2004, 06:17:34 pm »

To my knowldge there are no D2x's available for testing yet.

Also, my expertise lies mostly with Canon gear, so it's unlikely that I'll be testing the D2x.

Michael

Elie7Elie

D2x Michael?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 08:14:20 am »

I searched for prices on the D2X but could not find any.  One website was accepting order, but did not have a price listed.  Any idea how much it will sell for?

Elie7Elie

D2x Michael?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 10:18:12 am »

ok, let me get this correctly, 500000 yen? which is the equivalent of U.S. $4,700?  Is that correct?  WoW, that's great, that makes it more accessible, I can start saving!

Remko

D2x Michael?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 03:53:04 pm »

Calumet, here in the Netherlands, has a price set for the Nikon D2X of €3.999,- excl VAT.

After the Photokina this is more or less the price for the D2Xwith most dealers, at least overhere.

Remko

jd1566

D2x Michael?
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 10:09:17 am »

Nikon ergonomics... A sore point for Canon users I'm afraid as Nikon definately has a better feeling for that side of things.  Pity that they fall down just about everywhere else.  Anyone want to participate in a startup I'm..starting.  We'll manufacture a camera body called CaKon (or Ninon..maybe the latter as it sounds less like sh..t) which incorporates all the niceties of Nikon with the technology of Canon.  Sorry to Michael and other 1D series users but that camera is just TOO BIG and unwieldy.  It simply doesn't have to be...  A Nikon equivalent body which has more than enough space to pack all the electronics and full-size imaging chip (if they would only put one in!) would certainly mean that Canon's days of selling $8000 cameras were numbered and us humble prosumer folk could aspire to full frame cameras without mortgaging the house!

As it stands we'll have to wait for 2006 for Canon's next re-incarnation of the 1 series (the Eos 3 came out in 1998, so that's 8 years with the same style body)...  So now's the time to start writing to Canon asking for your favourite features.. Don't sweat the mirror lock-up button as they're probably going to put it in already.. How else to convice current 1DsMkII users to upgrade?!

So, for my start-up, any investors? I have the designs of the camera ready and waiting  :D
B&W photographer - Still lifes, Portrait

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
D2x Michael?
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 08:29:26 pm »

I doubt there is much point in Michael personally testing the D2x.  It is very difficult objectively to assess things like handling if you are immersed in another system as totally as Michael is with Canon.  Thom Hogan would be a good choice as a guest tester, with maybe Michael chpping in a few obeservations.  

That is, if Nikon ever get a D2x in a reviewers hands.

Quentin
Hi Quentin,

I for one disagree with you.

Michael used the Nikon system for years, I am sure that he has enough knowledge of it to be able to use it. Besides, he has been testing other systems, namely Minolta, Kodak etc... that he probably has far less knowledge about that Nikon.

Besides, you and I know that getting used to a nikon D2X will take at most 30 minutes for anyone reasonnably used to shooting with pro-level DSLR. Michael is an expert, he would have zero problem adapting. Getting the very best image out the D2X might be another problem (that Thom would indeed handle better), but the very orientation that Michael is giving to his reviews, focussing more on the handling than on image quality, should allow him to give a fair go to the D2x even without entering pixel peeping territory.

Finally, most of his testing equipement, but Canon probably, is being lent to him by a large photo equipment shop in toronto. I am sure that they will sell the D2x, and should therefore be in a position to lend one to Michael if he decided to give the D2X a try (I am sure that could lend him a 200-400 VR with it too...).

A lot of us would like to hear fair criticism of the D2x by Michael and, let's face it, there is nothing in the way of him reviewing this camera but his lack of willingness to do so.

Why he doesn't want to put his hands on a Nikon anymore remains a complete mistery to me, since it is a loss-loss situation, both for LL as an objetive information source on landscape photography and for the end users in that we are deprived from Michael's high quality review for one piece of equipment that is completely relevant in the landscape and wildlife shooting context.

Best regards,
Bernard

FGARVIN

D2x Michael?
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 12:24:00 am »

Bernard, I cannot agree with you more about the testing of the D2X, whether you love Canon and hate Nikon or vice versa, the release of the D2X is a major event, even if you don't shoot Nikon, as it WILL have an major effect on the market. However, if Michael feels so strongly about it as to not review it, it probably is better that he didn't. And yes Nikon will eventually get around to upping a copy to some lucky reviewer somewhere, maybe? Look elsewhere Nikon folks.

FGARVIN

D2x Michael?
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 03:05:34 pm »

Michael, you have now shot with the 1Ds mkII, have you had any hands on with the D2x?

BJL

D2x Michael?
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 06:31:06 pm »

Is it time for another guest article by Nikon guru Thom Hogan?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
D2x Michael?
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 09:40:24 am »

I searched for prices on the D2X but could not find any.  One website was accepting order, but did not have a price listed.  Any idea how much it will sell for?
The list price in Tokyo is 600.000, which should result in a street price no higher than 500.000 Yen.

Best regards,
Bernard

StanS

D2x Michael?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 06:33:52 pm »

I just signed up with Nikon using my NPS # to speed along my "pre-order" with my local dealer. Nikon is telling NPS members that we'll be at the top of the list to get them. Now, after all that, Nikon also tells me that there is not even a part # for this, let alone a list price here in the USA.  Nikon said that when they get within 30 days of delivery, that they will notify NPS members who have "pre-ordered" a D2X and let them know the status of their order. My dealer who took my "pre-order" also told me he's be surprised if he had any before January, and again he confirmed that Nikon does not even have a part # for the D2X.

Marshal

D2x Michael?
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 02:55:31 am »

Michael:

You've tested many cameras from companies other than Canon, even the consumer digicams, including from Nikon(and Olympus, Minolta & Pentax). Why not take the D2X out for a weekend test & evaluation like the other cameras your many industry contacts have given you to try out? Once it becomes available of course. Ditto for the Fuji S3.

Madness

• http://www2.arnes.si/~jburke
D2x Michael?
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 05:11:21 am »

Michael:

You've tested many cameras from companies other than Canon, even the consumer digicams, including from Nikon(and Olympus, Minolta & Pentax). Why not take the D2X out for a weekend test & evaluation like the other cameras your many industry contacts have given you to try out? Once it becomes available of course. Ditto for the Fuji S3.
Have to agree with Marshal... you've tested other brands before so why make an exception?

I'm quite curious how long time Canon users feel about ergonomics and handling of Nikon cameras. If that were the only criteria I'd go with a Nikon sistem every time. Canon is waaay of track in this regard if you ask me but guess I'll get used to it eventually.
*FOR RENT- one coat closet-must share wi

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
D2x Michael?
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 11:01:59 am »

I doubt there is much point in Michael personally testing the D2x.  It is very difficult objectively to assess things like handling if you are immersed in another system as totally as Michael is with Canon.  Thom Hogan would be a good choice as a guest tester, with maybe Michael chpping in a few obeservations.  

That is, if Nikon ever get a D2x in a reviewers hands.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

D2x Michael?
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004, 08:42:11 pm »

It comes down to a question of time and resources. I am not a professional reviewer, I'm a photographer. I tend to review the things that interest me though.

At this point, as much as the D2x interests many people, I'm not one of them.

There are many review sites on the web that will have lots of review material when this camera becomes available.

I also know several qualified photographers who will be buying one, and hopefully one of them can do such a review. I'll be more than pleased to publish it when they do.

Michael

jimk

D2x Michael?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 07:06:34 pm »

he said he will publish a review that another photographer does such as thom hogan or someone else .. so please be patient
Pages: [1]   Go Up