Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement for Sony R1  (Read 3790 times)

fototravel

Replacement for Sony R1
« on: September 20, 2010, 08:41:32 pm »

What would members recommend me to look at as a replacement for my venerable Sony R1 (usage is landscape and people), which produces top quality images. I want minimum a fast 24-120mm (preferably constant f2.8), tilt LCD, flash, EVF and full manual controls. I would prefer something smaller.

DarkPenguin

Re: Replacement for Sony R1
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:50:28 pm »

Doesn't exist.  Try ebay.

fototravel

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 05:49:54 am »

I find it hard to believe that 5 years on there is no equivalent replacement for my APS sensor based Sony DSC-R1. Ok it is not a constant f2.8 but f2.8 to f4.8, its EVF viewfinder lacks a few pixels, and it is quite weighty, but its lens is magnifique (IMHO). Surely there is something out there that can give me the equivalent functionality in a smaller, lighter package (and I do want a constant f2.8 or better!)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 01:33:21 pm »

I find it hard to believe that 5 years on there is no equivalent replacement for my APS sensor based Sony DSC-R1. Ok it is not a constant f2.8 but f2.8 to f4.8, its EVF viewfinder lacks a few pixels, and it is quite weighty, but its lens is magnifique (IMHO). Surely there is something out there that can give me the equivalent functionality in a smaller, lighter package (and I do want a constant f2.8 or better!)

Your needs are pretty unique as no such camera exists - check for yourself. Canon S95, and some MFT, or NEX cameras come close, though, especially just announced GH2. Constant, fast aperture zooms are rare (and expensive) even with SLRs so that's one feature you'll have to compromise on. Another is tilt LCD.

JBerardi

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 06:37:11 pm »

I want minimum a fast 24-120mm (preferably constant f2.8), tilt LCD, flash, EVF and full manual controls. I would prefer something smaller.

One of the Olympus 4/3s DSLRs, maybe? You can get everything you want except the EVF, and Olympus makes a very well regarded 12-60 f2.8-4 lens (24-120 equiv). Micro 4/3s is smaller, lighter, and could give you the EVF, but the kind of lens you're looking for isn't avaliable (the midrange zooms are more of the f/4.5-5.6 type). You can also use regular 4/3s lenses on micro 4/3s cameras via an adapter, but I'm not sure how well that really works (probably depends on the specific camera/lens combo).

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 06:52:32 pm »

I still have my R1 and a Panasonic G2 (plus a bunch of canon stuff).  If you find anything that meets your specs, let us know, and I'll buy one too... 

DaveL

• http://
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 02:08:57 pm »

I never bought an R1, but regret it.

I did have an 828, with the swivel lens.

I bought a G11 because of the swivel screen; imo not nearly the equal of the 828...but what do I know.

What about the NEX5? Have you read Michael's review here?

I don't know the Panasonic or Olympus lines.  Perhaps there's one there with flex screen and better image quality.

I'll be watching, because I would love to find an upgraded R1 too! AFAIK there is no replacement. Shame on Sony!

DaveL

tbosley

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 04:52:16 pm »

How about a APC/ Dx  DSLR with a killer 24-120mm lens.  Never change/remove the lens ;)

Go back and look at the comparisons to the R1 when released.

Pages: [1]   Go Up