Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where Can I Find A Similar Backdrop?  (Read 1953 times)

ryanstrong

Where Can I Find A Similar Backdrop?
« on: September 20, 2010, 03:42:52 pm »

Take a look at the background used in the following photos...

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2010/04/07/a-comprehensive-guide-to-j-crew-aw10/

It looks like canvas? Maybe muslin?

Anyway I'm trying to find something as subtle as this but most of what I've find online are very loud textures and not as tasteful as this.

Would love any help in search for this!

Thanks

ryanstrong

Re: Where Can I Find A Similar Backdrop?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:35:45 pm »

Surprised I haven't had any responses yet... well here is the best example I've found but it's probably too light for what I am going for.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/658544-REG/Backdrop_Alley_BATD24GRYMST_BATD24GRYMST_Crush_Muslin_Background.html

Anyone?

ziocan

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:23:46 am »

The B&H one is a pretty close match and I do not think it is too light. If you lit it as the J-Crew shot, it will probably look as dark.

I have used those painted canvas plenty of times and they were rented from the studios I was hiring or were rented from companies who rents backdrops. Normally those backdrops are custom made.

ryanstrong

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:53:00 am »

Oh I was hoping the words "custom made" were not going to be uttered.

Yeah I guess if the model is further from the backdrop and lit by a single soft light high and to the side it would work. I might have to tune my white balance to a little more on the warmer side because the B&H one is a bit cooler.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I found this store based in New York called Betsy Davis Backdrops and thought this maybe looks closer?

http://www.betsydavisbackdrops.com/new/zoom.html?descr=999%20-%2012%27%20x%2021%27%20subtle%20dark%20grey%20muslin&pic=/new/600/9/999.jpg

Any further suggestions, I'm open!

michaelnotar

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 05:33:33 am »

you can buy and return. i looked for a brown for a full summer buying from 3 places and returning atleast 5 before i found one. color matching is a real pain. BH is great but the photos the manufacturers provide are way off. usually way darker than what you get. a studio in town here made wheeled faux walls and had an artist paint them.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 07:25:26 am »

Looks like cheap, light-duty carpet to me.

...see how it is scuffed-up in front of his feet?

You need to buy a roll several meters longer than you need, so that you can move the worn part out of the shot.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 07:29:07 am by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: [1]   Go Up