Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Review Of Dan Berg's Canvas Workshop  (Read 6772 times)

tps7c

Review Of Dan Berg's Canvas Workshop
« on: September 20, 2010, 03:06:00 pm »

I recently returned from Dan's Berg's canvas workshop, and wanted to post a review in case anyone is thinking about attending.  Just a little background on myself -- I'm a wedding and portrait photographer (with a strong interest in landscapes, lol) and I wanted to bring production of canvas gallery wraps in-house.

I learned so much during this workshop, I'm not sure where to start!  Dan's not only a business owner, but a true educator.  He took the time to make sure we were covering everything I needed, at a pace that was tailored to my current skill level.  That was one of the benefits of attending a one-on-one workshop.  In my case, we went light on the computer stuff, and more heavily on the spraying, wrapping, and making of the stretcher bars.

We started out by printing some images I brought along, on BC Lyve using his 9900.  I currently have the 9880, so it was nice to see the 'big brother' in action.  It's definitely worth upgrading to it, IMHO, for a production environment.  After the prints dried, we went over spraying them using an hvlp system.  Breathing Color's Glamour ll and ClearJet were used.  It was nice to be able to compare a solvent vs. water-based product.  Dan started out by showing me the proper technique, and then I tried it out.  It's definitely not as easy as it looks, and I predict I'll be printing many sample pieces to practice on before trying this for a paying client.  Next we covered mounting canvas to gator board, and then moved on to making/assembling the stretcher bars.  Before the workshop I was convinced I would never make my own bars, but now I can't wait to get started on making them myself.  The cost savings is really significant, and it was actually the easiest step of the whole process.  Lastly, we used the Gallery Stretcher machine to create the wrap.  I was so impressed with the machine, I purchased one when I got home.  Dan's tricks and tips on getting it just right, and on doing the corners, gave me a great foundation.

Overall, it was a great experience and I highly recommend it to anyone considering doing gallery wraps on your own.  I really think the money you'll spend to attend the workshop will pay for itself fairly quickly (in the materials you'd waste by trying it on your own first).

On a side note, the first night I was treated to a fantastic home cooked meal by Dan's wife. (I think they need to open a b&b -- she's an awesome cook!)  The following morning, some freshly baked coffeecake was waiting for us.  Definitely needed to hit the gym upon returning from Casa de Berg!

Tom Sanderson
http://www.tomsandersonphotography.com
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 03:19:33 pm by tps7c »

kenben

Re: Review Of Dan Berg's Canvas Workshop
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 03:23:09 pm »

Tom will you explain mounting canvas to gator board and why.
Thanks Ken

tps7c

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 03:30:01 pm »

Ken,

We used a product called Miracle Muck to mount the canvas to gator board.  Truly, you could use any foam board I suppose.  it was as simple as applying a think layer with a roller, positioning the print on the board, rolling it to get it perfectly flat and to remove any air bubbles, and then trimming.  As to why, that's up to your creative imagination!  In the context of the workshop, we used it as an example that you can then place in an inexpensive frame will relative ease.  I think Dan uses either metal or wood frames, very thin.  Andrew Collett uses a similar method.  Dan might have some other ideas of what to use it for as well.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 03:41:19 pm »

Tom,
Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to visit us for the day. Enjoyed having you and keep me abreast of your progress.

Ken,
Tom has it right. Here are 2 quick shots of canvas attached to 3/16" gatorboard and then installed in a black satin frame if you have never seen it.
Why? You have a framed canvas print that is the easiest and fastest way to display canvas. You can use foamboard if you do not go too big. Easy to cut with a razor. Coat the canvas with your varnish of choice ,Miracle Muck the print to the board and you are finished. I order these knockdown frames from American Frame and take about 5 minutes to put together.
If you do not want to fool with stretcher bars and do not have a stretcher machine this is the easiest way to mount canvas. When someone wants a framed canvas print instead of a gallery wrap its a great choice and you can order any custom frame you like.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:12:45 am by Dan Berg »

tps7c

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 07:47:27 pm »

<<Tom,
Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to visit us for the day. Enjoyed having you and keep me abreast of your progress.>>

Dan, it was my pleasure and thanks for your hospitality!  I'd love to come back for another workshop when you add to your courses!  I'll keep you posted on my progress with the gallery wraps.

natas

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 10:45:09 pm »

What gallery stretching machine did you buy?

tps7c

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:11:17 am »

I got the 60" version from this company:

http://www.canvas-stretching-machine.com/

Dan has one in his shop, which he demonstrated at the workshop.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:05:45 pm by tps7c »

natas

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 09:46:54 am »

Very nice. Right now I do not do enough Canvas printing to justify something like this, but man the minute I start getting more printing business I am getting one! Manually stretching is a total pain in the butt

kenben

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 06:52:45 pm »

Thanks for replying Tom and Dan.

Ken

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 11:01:14 pm »

I also have the Gallery Stretcher and love it!  Highly recommend this machine and the support is awesome.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 06:15:07 am »

Less nice is the fact that an existing quality of inkjet canvas is changed to a tighter weaving fabric as the shops with stretchers complained about canvas shearing. For the users that stretch the canvas manually the new canvas will not handle that easily.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 04:34:20 pm »

Ernst,
We had problems early on and found that we were over stretching. When we backed off to a normal 20 pounds with our machine the problems went away. Can you name the specific canvas you reference?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 02:00:16 pm »

Although this a very old thread I wanted to add a post after spending 2 days on a 1:1 workshop with Dan last week.

I'm a self taught photographer; from taking images to b&w darkroom printing and now inkjet printing, through mounting and framing.  I wanted to start offering canvas prints to my gallery but I'm not getting any younger, so rather than spend many months trial and error I got in touch with Dan for a personalized workshop to kick start the learning process. 

We covered canvas printing, spray coating and stretching, including making the frame, also roller coating canvases and gluing to gator with Miracle Muck as alternatives.  I was also interested in seeing some prints on metallic papers so in addition to inkjet papers we printed on some transfer material then bonded to metal, printed directly on metal coated with Inkaid, and finally we did some dye sub printing.

As you can tell in addition to being very generous with his time and knowledge (it was 2 very full days) we did a ton of printing.

My biggest problem is going to be how to add/convert a room for setting up spraying (I may do a few with roller coats but in the long run spraying is the way to go), and stretching canvas.  But it will be fun ...

Thoroughly recommended ... thanks Dan! 

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 09:19:57 pm »

While on the subject of Dan Berg - I just have to add kudos for his custom printing and finishing/stretching services. 

I have never received such excellent customer service and great work.  Dan's a peach of a guy. 

If you need some custom work done, send it to Dan for excellent results! 

(Plus he's a woodworker and makes a mean crate!)
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up