Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The end of 4/3s?  (Read 2142 times)

DarkPenguin

The end of 4/3s?
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:42:47 am »

Looks like it is m43 or bust.

http://www.43rumors.com/official-olympus-press-conference-news/

Has this been confirmed?

BJL

Re: The end of 4/3s?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 12:01:43 pm »

Somehow, I do not think that major news like an official end to development of 4/3 SLR lenses (but with new 4/3 SLR bodies still promised according to the same source) would come from "Marketing Managing Director Olympus Europe"; it would come from an Olympus Japan.

But the story is at least quite plausible, especially if Olympus expects to be able to adequately support current 4/3 SLR lenses on Micro Four Thirds bodies, along with having plans for new higher-level m4/3 bodies and lenses now that the consumer level m4/3 models are producing good revenue and a group of customers who might soon want an upgrade. My hope, somewhat supported by hints in patents and such, is that mirrorless systems like m4/3 will soon offer Phase Detection autofocus through AF sensors embedded into the main sensor itself. If so, they would match or exceed(*) the AF speed and accuracy of SLR's, and could do this also when SLR lenses are used on those mirrorless bodies via adaptors. If that is achieved, the transition from 4/3 to m4/3 would not realty strand anyone's current equipment. (One rumor is that Nikon will announce such a "non-SLR but with PD-AF" system this week.)

(*) exceed PD-AF alone by avoiding front- or back-focus problems, and by also using the virtues of CD-AF when appropriate, like being able to check focus at user-selected points anywhere in the image.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 12:20:15 pm »

Great news to MFT owners, especially the bit about a pro MFT camera. Here's hoping for more fast primes.

Somehow, I do not think that major news like an official end to development of 4/3 SLR lenses (but with new 4/3 SLR bodies still promised according to the same source) would come from "Marketing Managing Director Olympus Europe"; it would come from an Olympus Japan.

Many global companies give their regional offices some juicy news to release every once in a while so that not everything is done by global HQ. And perhaps they wanted to have such news delivered overseas by a foreigner, news which is very unwelcome to current 4/3 owners.

But the news is very strange: they announce now that there won't be any more 4/3 development, but at the same time announce there will be new cameras (plural) released in 2011. Are there really that many 4/3 owners and lenses that they think they can support sales on a system which has been declared dead? That doesn't add up, wonder if there's some mistranslation going on.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 01:10:10 pm »

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this one is true or not.

The one thing to keep in mind is that Oly has a pretty full lineup of four thirds lenses.  And they are all pretty good.  They could afford to keep that lineup and just put a new body or two out and see if four thirds still has legs.  Might be a while before the sensors can out-resolve those lenses.

I'm happy because it sounds like this would mean more m43 lenses.  There would also be a more pro m43 camera in the future.

BJL

4/3 bodies mainly for current 4/3 lens owners during the "micro" transition?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 02:37:30 pm »

But the news is very strange: they announce now that there won't be any more 4/3 development, but at the same time announce there will be new cameras (plural) released in 2011. Are there really that many 4/3 owners and lenses that they think they can support sales on a system which has been declared dead?
Adding a few new 4/3 SLR bodies while not developing any more 4/3 lenses could makes sense as part of phased transition to Micro 4/3, given that DSLR bodies have far shorter lifetimes than lenses, so that "providing new bodies for current lens owners" becomes more important than "providing new lens models for current body owners"; something of a reversal of the situation with film SLR systems. Olympus could be thinking of people [like me!] who already use 4/3, have a significant investment in lenses, and for whom the current lens system goes well beyond what they would ever buy anyway, and so whose main desire is to be able to replace an aging body with a new 4/3 SLR body, or upgrade to a better body (say E-xx/E-x class), at least until m4/3 bodies more fully support 4/3 (SLR) lenses. Another recent interview on a Japanese website with a very senior person from Olympus Japan seems to say (going by a machine translation) that future 4/3 SLR bodies will be of that higher level E-xx/E-x class, not of the lower level E-xxx type.

elf

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 11:22:50 pm »

I'm amazed that anyone would assign any credibility to a site whose name contains 'rumors'.   ???

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:07:04 am »

I'm amazed that anyone would assign any credibility to a site whose name contains 'rumors'.   ???

How about this one, then?

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/09/olympus-to-end-43rds-lenses.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up