Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus-II 12  (Read 68171 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Leaf Aptus-II 12
« on: September 20, 2010, 07:31:41 am »

Posted in our Photokina Coverage thread, but worthy of it's own thread:

More Information about the Leaf Aptus-II 12 and Leaf Aptus-II 12R

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:56:44 am by dougpetersonci »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Leaf Aptus-II 12
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:06:08 am »

Doug,

Thanks for the update.

Any info on:
- presence of life view in back?
- battery life in cold weather?
- price?
- availability?
- DR?
- long exposures image quality?
- sensor type/make?

Thanks,
Bernard

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:23:34 am »

I would guess:

NO
same as current
- price?
expensive
- availability?
- DR?
same as current
which sensor ?
- sensor type/make?
same as above

I THINk if it HAD Live view or any groundbreaking features we would already know about it, however as people mark 80Mp as the new thing, nothing has cahnged in the medium format world.

Edit
ok price for the back is €23,995, which certainly is a lot lower than the P65 when it came out.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:29:19 am by Christopher »
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 08:29:45 am »

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:31:26 am by JonathanBenoit »

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:32:13 am »

Nice to have more full-frame options, and I'm sure some landscape/architectural shooters will welcome the extra resolution, but I'm still left wishing that they had made a back with half the pixels, and therefore double the frame rate.

Also wondering if this will be released in an AFi mount. I assume there will be more information very shortly.

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:47:21 am »

and where is the P85 +  ;D
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 08:50:32 am »

http://www.leaf-photography.com/products_aptus212.asp

Thks for the link. They mention a means to preview wirelessly an image on a ipod, are there any details on how this works?

Cheers,
Bernard

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 08:54:54 am »

as far as i know you need to shoot to a mac, for it to work.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

pcunite

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 09:01:53 am »

Wow! The hobbyists are going to be lining up to buy this thing! Seriously though... I personally want a 100'ish mp back that has real LiveView and an option to create a smaller RAW file when desired. I am going to refuse to buy into MFD until I get LiveView.

pcunite

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 09:34:08 am »

Forget 100MP, forget 80MP, the MP race leaves me cold, but this little thing www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp really warms me *******.

Wow sweet! In the same day 80mp and 12mp looking like top of the line! Wow... man I know the exact type of camera I want for personal use and professional use. I just wish they were hurry up and make 'em! If this FinePix X100 can focus fast enough this may rock my shirt pocket.

DanielStone

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 01:12:37 pm »

problem that I see is:

if you(as the photographer) can't pay this puppy off within a year, what's the point in buying it? Just so you can say you have 80 MEGAPIXELS?(oooooh.... big word)

professionals(at least the ones I'm assisting here in LA) aren't needing even the 40mp of the P40+ back. Its too much for them. Most are perfectly fine with a 5dmII capture, and even then, its too much, and needs to be down-sized for the client. *note* this is usually done BY THE CLIENT.

what you have left is RICH AMATEURS, doctors, lawyers, and trust-fund babies to soak up the rest of the product availability(hopefully). And of course a few "fine art" people who feel they need to make more 40"x50" prints.

people seemed perfectly happy when we were at 33mp(Aptus 75s). Is the extra resolution a welcome addition? Why not? But spending ANOTHER $30k to update your back to the latest and greatest? Most IMO will really have to think AT LEAST twice about doing this. Watching an Aptus 75S sell on E-prey a few weeks ago for like $6k(under 10k shot count too, with mount-swap and extended warranty still on it), I think most people will be trying to get the most life out of their backs that they can.

and just imagine the moire problems on this sucker...

-Dan

can't they just bring out a  40mp 6x7 chip already? Enough of this 645 crap, RZ's were the mainstay 15yrs ago, and there's 1000's of them floating around, waiting to be used in a digital world(and rightly so).

c'mon leaf(and phase), bite the bullet and do a 6x7 chip(convince Kodak and Dalsa there's a good reason).

and lastly....   THIS WON'T MAKE YOU BETTER PICTURES, JUST BIGGER FILES. learn to photograph, then let the equipment follow

harlemshooter

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 01:24:27 pm »

i do not plan to upgrade from my phase one kit until something revolutionary is available (200mp+). the process of obtaining a satisfactory capture from a digital back which satisfies my preferences in the end result (large exhibition prints) requires nearly as much concentration, and time in PS preparing to print, as with my view camera - the difference being with sheet film i pay as i go and must wait a bit longer to receive the tango/premier drum scanned file (kindly note even 5x7 sheets result in 16 bit files with the resolution of a 500mp+ back). if one is really after 6 feet of resolution, in either direction, why use digital back? my printer has attempted every trick in the book to enhance massive prints from phase one files which simply aren't up to par (in terms of resolution per inch) to scanned sheet film.

why a commercial shooter would want either sort of resolution is beyond me.

http://www.aztek.com/premier.html
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:32:19 pm by harlemshooter »

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 01:27:31 pm »

I'm wondering who the target customer is for any back that's over 60MP.

The Seitz Roundshot offers 160 MP (iirc) and has been around for years. If you want to blow people away with highly detailed landscapes or interiors, then isn't this the way to go?

amsp

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 01:35:54 pm »

Agreed, I'd much rather have a 40MP in 6x7 format than 80MP in 645. I'd also like to see some real innovation in both the backs and cameras rather than this never-ending megapixel race. Still, I'm glad to see new products being launched at all, especially the new glass, and I'm hoping for an all new P1/Mamiya camera in the not too distant future.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 02:08:23 pm »

Unlikely, H6/AFi is dead >:(

But.. the 'R' version is also available : "On the Leaf Aptus-II 12R you can change from landscape to portrait orientation with a simple turn of the Leaf Verto internal sensor rotation dial. Enjoy the comfort of keeping the camera upright, rotating just the sensor."

What camera would that be useful for apart from the AFi? (Ok, the Hasselblad V is the only other possibility but I find it hard to believe they designed the R version for the Hass V - it is very unlikely there is any customer using this combination.)

Doug Peterson

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 02:12:01 pm »

Thanks for the update.

Any info on:
- price?
- availability?
- DR?
- sensor type/make?

Bernard, thanks for the questions.
- presence of life view in back?  No
- price?
$31,990 back only, $35,990 with DF body and Schneider 80mm LS
upgrade pricing is TBA
- availability? Shipping by end of year; first come, first served.
- long exposures image quality? same as other Aptus-II units
- sensor type/make? Dalsa chip exclusive to Phase One Family

- DR?
These two questions should wait until we (CI) have tested a shipping back. Dynamic Range is a natural concern as you place more pixels onto the same size sensor. However, Leaf is claiming the DR has slightly improved compared to the Aptus-II 10 despite have smaller pixel size.

Personal Work

Doug Peterson

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 02:40:42 pm »

We've posted a 100% JPG compliments of a test done by Leaf and photographer Julian Cornish-Trestrail.

A single-shot's back's mortal enemy has always been fabric (at least when shot with sharp lenses). Here is an unretouched image using a Rodenstock 90mm showing really impressive sharpness. Do the evaluation yourself.

Leaf is claiming this as a as-good-or-better than the best multishot solutions. We're anxious to get our hands on it to do our own tests, but this test shoot is extremely promising in that regard.

A raw file is not possible until a public version of Capture One or Leaf Capture is released with support for the raw files from the Leaf Aptus-II 12.

Download Leaf Aptus-II 12 full resolution file

Personal Work
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:49:28 pm by dougpetersonci »

JonathanBenoit

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 03:07:30 pm »

Leaf is claiming this as a as-good-or-better than the best multishot solutions. We're anxious to get our hands on it to do our own tests, but this test shoot is extremely promising in that regard.

Leaf should know better. Who else, other than an artwork repro photographer, is going to really need an 80mp back. I think Leaf is grasping at straws here.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 03:35:04 pm »

Leaf should know better. Who else, other than an artwork repro photographer, is going to really need an 80mp back. I think Leaf is grasping at straws here.
The 10 * 8 shooters who still think that 60Mpx is not enough, and still use 10 * 8", or stitch 60Mpx to get res.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 03:43:25 pm »

I'm wondering who the target customer is for any back that's over 60MP.

The Seitz Roundshot offers 160 MP (iirc) and has been around for years. If you want to blow people away with highly detailed landscapes or interiors, then isn't this the way to go?

If Seitz had made a 617 back compatible with a Sinar 5 * 7" (for full movements) I would have bought one.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up