Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iceland #12 - A View to the West  (Read 1503 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Iceland #12 - A View to the West
« on: September 20, 2010, 06:49:10 am »

Taken shortly before sunset as distant rain showers drift across the Iceland landscape from the summit of one of Landmannalaugar's highest peaks.
Thoughts and comments welcome as always
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Dick Roadnight

Re: Iceland #12 - A View to the West
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 07:40:48 am »

Taken shortly before sunset as distant rain showers drift across the Iceland landscape from the summit of one of Landmannalaugar's highest peaks.
Thoughts and comments welcome as always
This also has a middle-distance which gives an impression of depth, as does the aerial perspective - the mistiness of the far mountains.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

sbunting108

• Simon Bunting Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 01:20:09 pm »

Simply stunning! It would have been a great photograph even without the rainbow!

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:46:36 pm »

Josh, beautiful scene but somehow my brain protests against it. Was a lot of PP involved? I've looked at it several times and I think somehow the color difference between the warm foreground and the hazy blue background is not in line with a still considerable contrast further back. Obviously I wasn't there so could be totally wrong, but something doesn't feel fully natural every time I look at it.
pieter, aka pegelli

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 04:32:42 pm »

I was further down the mountain when Josh took this, (wussed out over the cold and long wait for sunset) but other than maybe pumping up the rainbow a bit, the post processing of this image is very much in line with what was there.  The light was truly remarkable.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 09:06:22 pm »

Josh, beautiful scene but somehow my brain protests against it. Was a lot of PP involved? I've looked at it several times and I think somehow the color difference between the warm foreground and the hazy blue background is not in line with a still considerable contrast further back. Obviously I wasn't there so could be totally wrong, but something doesn't feel fully natural every time I look at it.

Yup - thats Iceland for you - totally alien. The orange foreground juxtaposed by the hazy blue background is exactly as it was. All I did to this shot in post was crop it and bump the Sat in the rainbow, sharpen etc.

Thanks for taking the time to comment - appreciated.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 12:52:15 am »

^^ Thanks for commenting on my "wrong" interpretation of the picture. Indeed truly stunning light. I need to take the effort to visit there one day because the light and scenery is truly spectacular!
pieter, aka pegelli
Pages: [1]   Go Up