Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photography, Rain or Shine  (Read 4604 times)

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Photography, Rain or Shine
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:33:32 pm »

Mark - I couldn't agree wit you more.  "When Do You Quit?"  Your answer is "Never!"

As a landscape photographer I totally agree.  I've also said the worse the weather the better the images.

[I've photographed landscapes in blowing, freezing snow, on the bank of Avalanche Creek (shortly after I fell in and was wet from my toes to my belt line).  Blowing sand and near 110 degree temps; just to name a few samples.] 

Enjoyed the article.

Don

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Photography, Rain or Shine
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 12:30:00 am »

Congratulations, Mark!  When I was in school, field trips were cancelled only if the vehicles couldn't go out.  We had one surveying class cancelled because it was so cold the oil in the transit froze and we couldn't level it...

I've always been attracted to weather like that - and not only because I'm usually the only one stupid enough to go out in it.  To truly appreciate Nature you have to know her in all of her moods.  When I was younger I went running barefoot in the woods in thunderstorms.  The air is charged, the colours are different, the light... well, you know. 

Used to have a little sign on my turntable that read, "Some people don't have enough sense to go out into the rain."

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

paulbk

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 12:59:36 am »

Mark,
A great read. Not only do I much enjoy "real" field notes like this. But I need them. Gives me that extra jolt of enthusiasm I need to get out and shoot instead of watching six hours of football on a Sunday afternoon.
Thanks much Mark. Looking forward to your notes from Photokina.
paul

paul b.k.
New England, USA

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 01:06:41 am »

I found Marks article particularly interesting as I was in Iceland just before the Podas workshop for nearly three weeks and visited all of the locations in Marks photographs - including that ruined old farmhouse. So I feel a certain connection to these photographs or at least to the locations.  I think as 'landscape photographers' we all know the best light is often found at the edges of weather or in inclement weather; but it helps to be told to get off our buts and get out there ;D. Some of the best images are made this way. However, for me, and having been there at some of these locations in better light I find some of the shots a little flat - casting no dispersions at Mark as a photographer (this is as much a personal opinion as anything). You have to work with the light you are given. Still, its a timely piece to help re-inforce the point. You cant make great images sitting in a hotel room and Mark and Kevin are right on the money to 'get out there' and 'into it'. Thumbs up and I enjoyed seeing these locations again. Look forward to hearing about Photokina.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

stamper

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 04:12:29 am »

I took this image on a wet and windy day on Helensburgh pier in Scotland. I was sheltering behind a toilet at the time. Wasn't much good in colour. Converted it to B&W and burnt in the sky. The aircraft carrier the Ark Royal heading towards a safe mooring.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 04:18:51 am »

You cant make great images sitting in a hotel room and Mark and Kevin are right on the money to 'get out there' and 'into it'. Thumbs up and I enjoyed seeing these locations again. Look forward to hearing about Photokina.

Harry Benson and Annie Leibovitz would be very surprised to read this, not to mention Bettina Rheims, Jeanloup Sieff etc. etc.! Oh well, I suppose we know what we know...

Rob C

Josh-H

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 04:43:01 am »

Harry Benson and Annie Leibovitz would be very surprised to read this, not to mention Bettina Rheims, Jeanloup Sieff etc. etc.! Oh well, I suppose we know what we know...

I think the inference to landscape photography was pretty clear.....
Wild Nature Photo Travel

stamper

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 04:56:27 am »

Was it just landscape photography? I took a deeper meaning from it.

Josh-H

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 05:34:08 am »

Yup - no deeper meaning intended.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 05:59:42 am »

Thanks for the interesting read Mark.

Although I agree with the basic philosophy and also love adverse conditions, I would just add that the safety of the group's members should still come first.

You were obviously in good company and both of you knew what you were doing in an environment close enough to civilization that risks were under control, but I have been in situations where my desire to shoot a few more images could have resulted down the road in some unpleasant experiences for travel companions.

Another thing might be risk mgt along the lenght of a trip. It is sometimes better to take a bit less risk with equipment to make sure it will sill work OK later during the trip.

Cheers,
Bernard

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 04:51:46 pm »

The description of the weather reminded me very much of my one and only trip to Iceland.  I was sadly amused...

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

dreed

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 11:39:59 pm »

Mark,

Why did you choose to go hand held on the beach?

Was it just thee wind?

Or did you want to get low down?

How much post was involved to get the photos "up to spec"?

I'm really quite amazed at how green it looks...

Darren

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 02:53:33 am »

Mark,

Why did you choose to go hand held on the beach?

Was it just thee wind?

Or did you want to get low down?

How much post was involved to get the photos "up to spec"?

I'm really quite amazed at how green it looks...

Darren

The black beach at Jökulsárlón is exposed to the Atlantic, and it is often very cold there with strong wind gusts.  Setting up a tripod can be challenging.  I just watched Mark Dubuvoy's video at Photokina where he talks about "slowing down" and composing a photograph in a considered manner.  Ironically, in Iceland you often don't have that luxury.  The weather can turn on a dime - cold, wind gusts, and driving rain can be upon you in a flash.

Re. the green - you have to see what is known as Dyjamosa (Philonotis fontana) in the Icelandic Highlands to believe it.  Most will think someone has gone overboard with the saturation slider in Photoshop.

dreed

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 04:18:58 am »

The black beach at Jökulsárlón is exposed to the Atlantic, and it is often very cold there with strong wind gusts.  Setting up a tripod can be challenging.  I just watched Mark Dubuvoy's video at Photokina where he talks about "slowing down" and composing a photograph in a considered manner.  Ironically, in Iceland you often don't have that luxury.  The weather can turn on a dime - cold, wind gusts, and driving rain can be upon you in a flash.

Re. the green - you have to see what is known as Dyjamosa (Philonotis fontana) in the Icelandic Highlands to believe it.  Most will think someone has gone overboard with the saturation slider in Photoshop.

Yes, the greens in the photos look almost unnatural for the kind of weather that he described...

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 07:41:23 am »

Yes, the greens in the photos look almost unnatural for the kind of weather that he described...

But I was not talking about the green in Dubovoy's photos.  This is what I meant by Dyjamosa (in the foreground here) -

http://www.benhattenbach.com/#a=0&at=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=7&p=2

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 04:06:44 am »

Rajan Parrikar, I think those are some breathtaking photos.

Thanks for sharing them.

Did you design the whole page yourself?

The link I forwarded was of Ben Hattenbach's site.  Those are his photographs.

jeremyrh

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 07:13:32 am »

What we called "Shrek snot"  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up