Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New forum software is driving me crazy!  (Read 10795 times)

mguertin

Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 08:07:53 am »

Ok ... there's now a modified URL button in the post form that works as requested, and the Additional Options area is shown as open by default.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 10:46:13 am »

Mark... I finally sorted being able to get an image up...but the fixed has now somehow reverted...The browse/upload was working perfectly and now I think I'll just refrain from trying so that I don't keep inflicting screwed up posts on people...sorry for being so thick...ps .How were you able to restore my screw-up?
A common woman~

mguertin

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 10:50:43 am »

I retrieved your deleted post (there's a trash can like feature with the forum).

If your images are not working when uploading check a few things:

- make sure that the image type matches the extension (this will cause big problems) .. e.g. if it's a jpeg make sure it ends in .jpg
- make it reasonably small ... you can upload up to 4mb per image now, but ... you might have timeout problems on your browser or problems at your ISP end of things, it can take a long time to upload that much data
- make sure you're not just having a local problem with things not showing up because of browser/ISP cacheing issues

I saw the last image you posted on that thread fine (it was the colour version of the one you posted in the first post, right?)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:52:21 am by Mark Guertin »

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 02:52:49 pm »

Thanks Mark...God save the trash cans! Though the more garbage out the better... No problems with any other exporting, uploading ,FTP elsewhere, but I always try to assume it is my error...seeing the posts above help me be a little less self critical...  seems to be intermittent, works or doesn't, (I actually went to tiny files thinking that was the issue...) oh well..small potatoes in the grand scheme...lets us know we are still among the living... Thanks again..
A common woman~

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 04:09:18 am »

Ok ... there's now a modified URL button in the post form that works as requested, and the Additional Options area is shown as open by default.

I only now realized that insert URL works as it did in the past. This is Good, thank you!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 11:44:34 pm »

Is there a way to see a list of the most recent posts (as opposed to unread posts)? Another feature that drives me crazy with this new software. Say I read a post, then closed it. A few moments later I want to re-read it, or comment or... but I can not find it anymore! Unless of course I use search, for which I need to remember either the title, or author, or key words... utterly frustrating. Most other forums display posts in chronological order, with posts I read highlighted. Most other forums also give me a one-click access to my posts (here I have to go into Profile then find the link Show Posts). At the same time, there is a direct link to the utterly useless My Messages, as if this is Twitter or something. Rant over.

mguertin

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 12:14:23 am »

Is there a way to see a list of the most recent posts (as opposed to unread posts)? Another feature that drives me crazy with this new software. Say I read a post, then closed it. A few moments later I want to re-read it, or comment or... but I can not find it anymore! Unless of course I use search, for which I need to remember either the title, or author, or key words... utterly frustrating. Most other forums display posts in chronological order, with posts I read highlighted. Most other forums also give me a one-click access to my posts (here I have to go into Profile then find the link Show Posts). At the same time, there is a direct link to the utterly useless My Messages, as if this is Twitter or something. Rant over.

At the bottom of the main forum page there's a link titled "view most recent posts on the forum" (in the area called Forum Stats).  Why they put it there who knows, but it does exactly what you're asking.

Philnick

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 11:42:06 pm »

I'm a new member, so no "as it used to be" comments from me.

Let me just say that I've had zero luck attaching a pair of relatively small jpegs to my post. The board rejected them when I had sized them each to just under 4MP, so I resized them to total 3M for the pair. Then it took them, and it displays them about 2" x 3", but clicking on either of them to display them larger brings up an empty viewer window with a line of code at the top, but no image.

Clicking on the download link downloads a zero byte file. I've deleted and reattached them two or three times, but the result is always the same. Here's a link to that post:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45647.msg398643#msg398643

Can you help me figure out what to do?

mguertin

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 04:56:25 pm »

I'm a new member, so no "as it used to be" comments from me.

Let me just say that I've had zero luck attaching a pair of relatively small jpegs to my post. The board rejected them when I had sized them each to just under 4MP, so I resized them to total 3M for the pair. Then it took them, and it displays them about 2" x 3", but clicking on either of them to display them larger brings up an empty viewer window with a line of code at the top, but no image.

Clicking on the download link downloads a zero byte file. I've deleted and reattached them two or three times, but the result is always the same. Here's a link to that post:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45647.msg398643#msg398643

Can you help me figure out what to do?

That's very odd and you're right, they don't show up or download properly.  I don't see a line of code when I try to view them .. can you paste in the line of code that you see?  Also are you sure that the file extension properly matches the filetype?  (i.e. are they really jpg images?)

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 06:17:39 pm »

At the bottom of the main forum page there's a link titled "view most recent posts on the forum" (in the area called Forum Stats).  Why they put it there who knows, but it does exactly what you're asking.

Except that button doesn't work on mine?
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Philnick

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 07:05:36 pm »

The display window doesn't let you highlight and copy the line of code, but there are always . . . alternatives, like pressing Ctrl-A, in this case.

This is the line of code from the first image's viewer window:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45647.0;attach=29350;image

This is the line of code from the second image's viewer window:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45647.0;attach=29352;image

The only difference appears to be the image's reference number.

The images are definitely JPEGs. Not only did I tell Photoshop to save them as jpegs, I just did an experiment. I stripped the JPG extension off one of them and tried to open it in Irfan View, which put up the message: "File is a JPEG with an incorrect extension. Rename?"

I was going to send the JPEGs to you via Drop.IO - but guess what? They've been bought by facebook and have discontinued the service! So I searched for another similar service and found SendUit.com - but they're having technical difficulties (maybe they piggybacked on drop.io?).

So I've tried attaching them again here. Let's see what happens.

PS Same result!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:46:10 pm by Philnick »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2010, 09:50:57 pm »

If you right-click on the word "image" which comes up instead of the real image, and click "image properties" it says the image has 0 bytes and is 0x0 pixels. If that were really the case, the thumbnail wouldn't show at all, so it does seem to be some bug (i.e., "undocumented feature") in the forum software.

Truly weird.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mguertin

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 01:15:02 am »

I sent you a PM with my email address to send me the images so I can take a look and see what might be tripping up the forum software.  It's very odd as it seems to work for most other images.

@Kirk Gittings:  Strange .. the link for the latest forum posts works fine for me in several browsers and a couple of operating systems...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up