Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GH1 EVF  (Read 1572 times)

Lost

• Flickr snapshots
GH1 EVF
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:56:31 am »

Can anyone comment on how easy/problematic the GH1 viewfinder is in bright sunlight?

I was intending to upgrade by 40D equipment this autumn, but after returning from 3 months travelling using nothing more than a GF1 I am seriously considering switching to a GH1.  I was suprised to find that the IQ from the GF1 is not all that much worse than the 40D (both shooting raw), whereas the size/weight of the micro 4/3 system was a revelation. Despite the smaller body, I really enjoyed using the GF1 when shooting.

The only major problem that I had was with bright sunlight. Even quite dim sunlight makes the GF1's main LCD unusable for me. The optional view finder was better, but I kept finding sunlight leaking past my glasses and making the display unreadable.

DarkPenguin

Re: GH1 EVF
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 10:12:14 am »

Wear a hat?

Lost

• Flickr snapshots
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 10:24:09 am »

I did use a hat a lot of the time. (and I have some really nice pictures of the absurdly wide brim flopping down in front of the camera  :) )

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:12:50 pm »

I have one of these and use it on the GF1 when I want to steady the camera up to my eye, or in bright sunlight.  I don't ever use the EVF anymore, this works much better.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/hoodloupe-3.shtml

BJL

HoodLoupe and elastic bands
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 01:37:34 pm »

Wayne,
   thanks for that info.: does Michael's "elastic band mount" work for you?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 04:05:58 pm »

Wayne,
   thanks for that info.: does Michael's "elastic band mount" work for you?
The elastic band is an accessory item from hoodman, and yes that's what I use as well.  I'd like to find an option that would allow be to use the tripod mount ... might look a little better.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 04:34:15 pm »

The elastic band that came with my Hoodman broke pretty quickly. I made a replacement out of the thin bungee material available at outdoor outfitters. Works much better.

To the original poster -- I too have been very happy with the image quality of my GF-1 compared to my 40D. Even in low light, it's quite good. We're actually getting ready to buy a G-1 kit for my wife. They are getting pretty cheap at Amazon. My understanding is that the built-in EVF is much better than the clip on that I have for the GF-1.

The key for her is the total size of the camera kit. She just won't carry a 40D (let alone a 1-series Canon.) By building a system of the m4/3 cameras, we can share lenses, etc., when we travel.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up