Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: More Yummy Glass  (Read 7109 times)

JonathanBenoit

Re: More Yummy Glass
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 04:34:20 pm »

my client was, in their words, "blown away" and thought the video told the story of the space far more completely than the three days worth of stills we did months before. 

Chris,

I feel like there is a lot of overlap with these two services. You might find yourself with clients opting for video instead. I think this would be defeating it's purpose. I think an option could be to mix interviews with the original stills and supplementary video of the space as a filler. I'm not sure video of the space for documenting purposes is something that should be at the front of any architectural photographer's services. If if was a more abstract artistic film of the space, I can see this being a separate thing.

but what do I know...

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 04:44:37 pm »

What do any of us know... the future of the commercial visual artist is becoming a moving target.  What thing I do know is that given most Architects budgets, I will never be able to produce video that looks as good as my stills, therefore I think I will always be pushing the clients to do the stills first, figure out how to incorporate those into the video (to elevate its aesthetic) and go from there.

The video I just did would have been far less impressive if I hadn't had some beautiful stills to increase the overall production quality.

More abstract/artistic?  I dunno.  We used to do shots like that on every job, details typically.  When budgets got tight it was the first thing clients cut.  Kind of a drag too.

CB

TMARK

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 06:21:10 pm »

LKaven,

The film is Breathless.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 06:23:02 pm by TMARK »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 06:44:43 pm »

cb is doing exactly what photographers have done for a century.  He's the director, dp, camera operator, gaffer, focus puller, editor and colorist.  That's  the way still photographers have worked.

And that's the opposite of what practically all cinema, and most motion photography has been for a century. Motion is a collaborative medium due to its complexity.

Again, I'm not saying it can't be done by just one man, especially if one is not planning to shoot an Oscar-worthy feature. What I'm saying is that too many still photographers think they can just pick up a 5DII with $10k worth of gear, and shoot a short film worth watching without a script, storyboards, a story, or even a plot, are mistaken. Motion and especially cinematography has its own language, which is very different from stills.

For a pro learning and using motion is a huge investment - and a risk. From the comments by Christopher's client it sounds like at least one is enthusiastic - but does that exuberance turn into dollars, and yield higher ROI than other investments in his business? That's something that has to be carefully gauged by each photographer.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up