Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamron 18-270 Lens  (Read 2554 times)

rjkphotog1960

Tamron 18-270 Lens
« on: September 16, 2010, 11:25:40 pm »

Hello

I have just purchased a Tamron 18-270 lens.

My question is the following;

When I take a picture with VC on and either in MF or AF, once I take the photo about 2-4 seconds later you can hear a slight sound which sounds the the motor in the lens is trying to do something.

When I take a photo without VC on, I do not hear the same noise.

Does anyone else experience this sound with VC on shortly after the picture is taken.

I do not know if the lens has a defect in it or this is a normal sound.

Look forward to your responses. Bob

DarkPenguin

Re: Tamron 18-270 Lens
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 11:31:23 pm »

The VC is active when you have the shutter partially pressed (for focusing) or fully pressed.  (Taking the picture.)  At some point it will decide that you don't need it to be active and will shut it self down.

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 10:29:19 am »

You don't say which camera you are using, and whether your camera is in continuous or single-shot mode.  Also, some cameras allow you to choose whether the image stabilization is on only when focusing, or full-time.

Greg D

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 01:23:51 pm »

I haven't used this particular lens, but every vibration-reduction device on any of the Canon or Sigma lenses I've used does make some noise similar to what you describe.

rjkphotog1960

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 01:54:09 pm »

Thank you for your reply.

I have a Canon 40D with the Tamron 18-270. With the VC on and shooting MF or AF in either AI focus, AI Servo and single shot or continuous the sound I hear happens 2-3 sec after the shot is taken. With the VC off in any of the above modes it does make the sound.

KEH Photography was in town this weekend buying used equipment and I showed it to them and their response was that it is the VC motor reseting itself. At the camera store we pulled a new Tamron off the shelf and it did the same thing. So the bottom line is, is that the sound is normal and I need to get used to it.

Thanks again for your input. Have a good day
Pages: [1]   Go Up