Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not sure if to buy a Contax G2 or get a Micro 4/3d's instead - advice please?  (Read 18455 times)

andrew00

Re: Not sure if to buy a Contax G2 or get a Micro 4/3d's instead - advice please?
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 01:07:45 pm »

It's funny, I was all ready to push buy on the E-PL1 until the announcement of the X100. Now I think I'll actually buy the Contax G2!

Why? Well I think that if I were to buy the Olympus I'd want the body, the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens and the EVF, which would come to £750+. If it's up to quality, I think I def want the X100 b/c it'll give me a viewfinder in the body and let me add an external flash, which was my big issue with the m4/3rd cameras.

Therefore I feel the Olympus package would cost a lot and not really hold it's value, and I'd want to replace it when the X100 is out.

If I get the G2, it'll hold it's value until I can play with the X100 (listed as release in 2011...sometime) and read reviews etc, and make a decision at that point without losing money, which I feel I would with the Olympus lot.

I'm just waiting to see what Leica have to say at Photokina with their rumoured mirrorless camera, but there you go!

A volta face but there you go!

DarkPenguin

Re: Not sure if to buy a Contax G2 or get a Micro 4/3d's instead - advice please?
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 01:17:20 pm »

Let us know how the G2 works out.   Oh, and if you change your mind again get the E-P2 instead of the E-PL1.  The E-PL1 can be frustrating to control.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 01:40:45 pm »

It's funny, I was all ready to push buy on the E-PL1 until the announcement of the X100. Now I think I'll actually buy the Contax G2!

Why? Well I think that if I were to buy the Olympus I'd want the body, the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens and the EVF, which would come to £750+. If it's up to quality, I think I def want the X100 b/c it'll give me a viewfinder in the body and let me add an external flash, which was my big issue with the m4/3rd cameras.

Therefore I feel the Olympus package would cost a lot and not really hold it's value, and I'd want to replace it when the X100 is out.

If I get the G2, it'll hold it's value until I can play with the X100 (listed as release in 2011...sometime) and read reviews etc, and make a decision at that point without losing money, which I feel I would with the Olympus lot.

I'm just waiting to see what Leica have to say at Photokina with their rumoured mirrorless camera, but there you go!

A volta face but there you go!

Have you factored in the price of film and development? Depending on how much you shoot it can add up to hundreds of local currency units in very short order.

What's the issue with MFT and flashes? E-PL1 has a built-in flash, there are dedicated flashes for PEN cameras, and all MFT cameras have a flash hot shoe AFAIK. If by external flash you mean off-camera (studio) flash, MFT is not exactly designed for that, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can get some wireless transmitters to work with the cameras.

Oh, and if you change your mind again get the E-P2 instead of the E-PL1.  The E-PL1 can be frustrating to control.

I have E-PL1 and have no problems with the controls. In fact, the quick menu is quite quick, although takes a while to get used to. A thumb wheel would be useful, and haven't tried E-P2, so it could be even better.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 01:54:47 pm »

I have E-PL1 and have no problems with the controls. In fact, the quick menu is quite quick, although takes a while to get used to. A thumb wheel would be useful, and haven't tried E-P2, so it could be even better.

Feh.  Its (lack of) controls suck.

feppe

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 01:58:49 pm »

Feh.  Its (lack of) controls suck.

Do you mean physical buttons or features? I'm really trying to understand what's wrong with them - or I really have to try out E-P2 to see how good it is :)

DarkPenguin

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 02:08:11 pm »

Do you mean physical buttons or features? I'm really trying to understand what's wrong with them - or I really have to try out E-P2 to see how good it is :)

I don't own an E-P2 but I knew how to use it in about 10 seconds.  I convinced myself the E-PL1 would be fine after I had the camera for a while.  This is largely true until you try to move fast.

feppe

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 02:15:59 pm »

I don't own an E-P2 but I knew how to use it in about 10 seconds.  I convinced myself the E-PL1 would be fine after I had the camera for a while.  This is largely true until you try to move fast.

I don't need to move fast so not an issue - but as I said, control wheel would be nice.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 03:14:30 pm »

I have a very high opinion of the Panasonic G2, having just used it (with 14-42 and 45-200mm zooms) on a 2 week trip to Alaska. I don't understand your complaints about digital vs. film, and in fact I think you are just plain wrong. Digital, properly used, can give a better dynamic range than film. Of course, film has its own "look," and if you prefer that (and cannot duplicate it with digital) then film is for you. But technically, digital (good digital) can beat film in any objective category (excepting perhaps large-format film). Plus, it's a lot kinder to the environment!

Waltere

Andrew, so what did you buy? Just wondering as I bought a G2 two months ago, and it's more fun than I could have imagined! Superb Carl Zeiss lenses too!

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/

If I get the G2, it'll hold it's value until I can play with the X100
Just to clarify, I was a bit puzzled by the thread title and a bit more by its content...
You might mean Panasonic G2 and not Contax G2? ???

I feel it a bit odd to throw a film camera in the mix, even if it's a bit oriented towards the same use.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up